PDA

View Full Version : Bloodwood and Maple Bowl

Bill Bulloch
08-09-2010, 3:55 PM
Here is a Bloodwood and Maple Bowl that I made to compliment the Platter that I made last week. It is 4 inches high and has a 12 inch diameter.

What ya think?

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 4:25 PM
And, a nice compliment it is!! I like the "flip" in material - really does very well together. You "seggie" guys amaze me!!

Mike Minto
08-09-2010, 4:29 PM
Wow! Bill - very cool segmenting. The colors go well together, and the joins are flawless!

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 4:32 PM
That's really nice. Bloodwood and maple is a great combo. I must have missed the platter post, but it's good looking as well. That's a bowl and platter set that I'd be proud to call my own.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2010, 4:34 PM
Wow - that really grabs your attention! Very nice set - great color combination!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-09-2010, 4:34 PM
While I'm admiring both pieces it occurs to me how much confidence a segmented bowl turner has to have in his or her turning ability. After cutting, sanding and fitting together the blank you already have such a huge investment of time and emotion that you must turn with amazing surety.
fmr

Roger Chandler
08-09-2010, 4:56 PM
Maybe if I get to retire, I will have the time to put into a project like this.....Bill, a most beautiful pair! Great segmenting and great form, and the complimentary aspect is really good!

You do nice work! :)

Roland Martin
08-09-2010, 4:59 PM
That makes a very attractive set Bill:). I have to agree with Faust, all that up-front work has got to be in the back of your mind while cautiously rubbing that bevel:eek: Nice work!

Ken Glass
08-09-2010, 5:09 PM
Bill,
Wonderful color combination and very nice shape on both pieces. Well done.

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2010, 8:50 PM
I am amazed at the patience and skill that it takes to make something like this...
Awesome pieces... great combinations.

Richard Madden
08-09-2010, 9:03 PM
Very nice work. Do you know how long this took to make? I've made some staved vessels that took 30 hours to make and that's way too long if a person is going to sell them and make any money.

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2010, 9:22 PM
Both pieces are beauties. Really like the use of woods.

Bill Bulloch
08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Very nice work. Do you know how long this took to make? I've made some staved vessels that took 30 hours to make and that's way too long if a person is going to sell them and make any money.

Not as long as you might think. From start to finish took six days, but, most of that time was waiting for the glue and Poly to dry. Actual hands on work was probably about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Once you have your Table Saw Sled set to an accurate angle it does not take but a few minutes to cut the 16 pieces to make a ring. Then, about five minutes to glue the ring up. This bowl had only five segmented rings, so if I had completed all the cutting and gluing at once it would have taken about an hour. Next comes flattening and stacking the rings. I flatten one side of the ring on a disk sander, then stack, Glue and flatten the other side of the rings on the lathe. For this piece with six rings, it probably took less than an hours work to get it all glued up. Next is the turning, sanding and finishing.

The key thing is to make sure that you have accurate angles.... You can spend a lot of time on doing this and it is absolutely necessary in segmenting. I use a Incra 1000 HD Miter Gauge on an Incra Miter Express Sled. With this I am able to get good, accurate angles. I dry fit the ring, hold it up to a bright light to check for flaws and then hand sand one or two pieces as necessary to insure a good, tight fit. I use a full sheet of 80 grit sandpaper glued to a flat piece of MDF as my sanding board. Normally only three or four swipes across the sandpaper is necessary. Doing it this way I am able to accuratelly glue the entire ring at one time.

Try it, you may just get hooked.

Randy Gazda
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Very nice work. Having recently turned some bloodwood, it makes 'hard' maple look soft to me. I couldn't find a grind that would take much of a shaving. Beautiful wood when finished I will give it that.

I agree segmented work doesn't take as long as people think, once you get the hang of it.

Jon Lanier
08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Now that there is Purdeeeee! I don't care who you are.

Sweet piece.

Michelle Rich
08-10-2010, 9:15 AM
bloodwood is stunning isn't it? I make tons of segmented items and I like the process..this is eye-catching because of the color. Nice bowl

Bill Bulloch
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
bloodwood is stunning isn't it? I make tons of segmented items and I like the process..this is eye-catching because of the color. Nice bowl

Yes, I like the bloodwood too. I normally just use it for accent pieces, but the Woodyard (www.thewoodyard.com (http://www.thewoodyard.com)) about three miles up the road sells it for $5.00 a BF (Purpleheart too), so at those prices I can afford to use it as the feature wood. It makes your shop nice and red (lungs too, I suppose).

Mark Hubl
08-10-2010, 1:21 PM
Another nice piece Bill. You are really becoming a master of the segmented stuff. Looks great.

Michael Short
08-11-2010, 9:45 AM
Bill -- Great looking bowl !!!

Steve Mawson
08-11-2010, 1:34 PM
The platter and bowl look to be made for each other. Only can hope to do something as nice sometime.

Karl Card
08-11-2010, 11:45 PM
oh lordy, at least when your lungs bleed you wont be able to see it... true but gross..

I saw on the net today where a guy had swallowed a pea and it went into his lung instead of stomach, well it started sprouting.

After all the african wood I have sanded and cut I imagine my lungs look like africa...