PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Pine off to Austria

Kim Ford
08-09-2010, 2:06 PM
Haven't posted in a while, but just though I would say howdy and share a corporate gift for a businessman and his wife in Austria.

10 1/2" x 4 1/4" x 5/16"

Norfolk Pine from Joel Lawson on the Big Island.

Sanded to 600; Dura Seal #210 soak and Buff.

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 2:13 PM
Wow, that is gorgeous!!! I love the grain pattern of the NIP and it certainly fits this piece.

Roger Chandler
08-09-2010, 3:05 PM
What John K. said..........gorgeous! Also, the color variations on this piece are really outstanding. Very nice form on the bowl as well.......it should be treasured by the recipient!

Aaron Wingert
08-09-2010, 3:07 PM
Kim that is just awesome. Looks like hot coals!!!

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 3:20 PM
Beautiful. NIP with good spalt and a good soak... It really doesn't get much better than that.

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2010, 8:05 PM
Norfolk Pine from Joel Lawson on the Big Island.

Sanded to 600; Dura Seal #210 soak and Buff.

Beautiful. NIP with good spalt and a good soak... It really doesn't get much better than that.

I love these bowls!! You bet, they'll be overjoyed to get these!! What beautiful grain! Turning them end-grain really made them spectacular!

Kim, can you tell me what you soaked it in... the mixture recipe? I've been soaking some thin pine (not NIP) pieces in Danish Oil, and I'm wondering if I can get better permeation with something else...

gary Zimmel
08-09-2010, 8:16 PM
Quite the pieces of wood.
Sweet work on them Kim. I'm sure your people in Austria will love them...

Richard Madden
08-09-2010, 8:29 PM
Beautiful work...love em both.

Michael James
08-09-2010, 8:39 PM
That is the most beautiful chunk of (I assume) unstained or dyed piece of wood I have ever seen in my life!:eek: Just when I think I've seen some version of "it all".... very beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
08-09-2010, 8:59 PM
Never thought pine could look so fine...

Baxter Smith
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Beautiful wood made into a beautiful bowl!

Karl Card
08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
great job on that norfolk

Joel is the main man for wood. I just cant say enough good about him and the way he does business. I get nothing for saying that at all but it is the truth. I have needed certain pen blanks asap and he has accomodated me asap and we are not talking about your regular wood by far....

Kim Ford
08-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Alan;

I take no credit for receipe or the process. Joel Lawson gave it to me. You can go to his website and he goes through it in detail. koajoel.com; and yes he is great to work with, I was very pleased and actually got a piece of mango from him as well.

The product is Dura Seal #210 neutral. It is a wood floor finish. Soak the piece for 24 hours, when you take it out wet sand with 600 grit, let it set till tacky and then wipe down. Let set for two days and then buff. Top coat and go through the process again and again if you want.

I put three coats on the NIP and then bees wax and a final buff. I was really impressed with the finish. I have tried this with other products and have not had the same results with as little work.

Caution, with the NIP no CA glue until you are done with the first soak. It will stop the oil from penetrating and give you streaks you don't want.

Something else I learned from Joel. The pith of the tree just falls apart when you get down to the final cuts. Joel ships extra knots with all of his NIP and you just plug the center with one of the knots and go on about your merry business. When finished it kinda looks like it should be there.

Thanks everyone for looking and thanks for your comments.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2010, 12:43 AM
Kim - very impressive bowl! Love the color variations! The folks in Austria are going to love it!

Norm Zax
08-10-2010, 8:40 AM
Gave the NIP the honor it deserves! Well done.

charlie knighton
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
very nice....

Larry Hamon
08-26-2010, 3:58 PM
I have just scored some NIP while on a trip to Hawaii. I have a vase turned, but can not find any duraseal. Where do you get teh stuff, I can not find anyone that knows anything about it.

Also, can I wait to soak it after ordering some Duraseal off the internet.

How long does the Suraseal last... Do you complete submerge it? One you take it out to dry, do you have to worry about runs, or drips?

Sorry for some many questions , But I love the finish you have given and would like to try it.

thanks in advance.

Larry

Tim Rinehart
08-26-2010, 4:35 PM
First, that's a gorgeous piece of NIP and a just a stunning presentation of the wood's character. Like a starburst.

One a side note for NIP...If anyone has a clue or can describe how the limb orientation is determined, I would appreciate it. I have a big piece I've not started because I forgot.
I was told once, and it made such sense...I didn't bother writing it down.

Something to do with the little recess either above or below the limb tells you if it's going up or down the piece...so you can plan accordingly for turning and getting the rays along a curved area.

wes murphy
08-26-2010, 4:40 PM
impressive bowl. love the wood.

Dan Cannon
08-26-2010, 5:24 PM
I have just scored some NIP while on a trip to Hawaii. I have a vase turned, but can not find any duraseal. Where do you get teh stuff, I can not find anyone that knows anything about it.

Also, can I wait to soak it after ordering some Duraseal off the internet.

How long does the Suraseal last... Do you complete submerge it? One you take it out to dry, do you have to worry about runs, or drips?

Sorry for some many questions , But I love the finish you have given and would like to try it.

thanks in advance.

Larry

I can't help with any of the process questions, I've yet to finish a turning, but I used to work at a Sherwin Williams store, and at the time, we stocked DuraSeal for paint contractors. It wasn't a normal item at all stores, but we all had access to special order it. You may want to check at some local SW stores to see if they have (or can get) it.
Dan

James Roberts
08-26-2010, 9:23 PM
Beautiful piece of wood Kim, and great job of bringing out the awesome grain and colors. Folks in Austria are gonna love this one.