PDA

View Full Version : Financial software??

Joe Chritz
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Looking for a replacement for Microsoft Money.

I have checked a couple online services but haven't seen one I really like yet.

My main criteria is to track recurring payments, future payments and online support and auto download if transactions.

Any suggestions?

Free or cheap is good but I don't mind buying a program if it is good.

Joe

Dan Hintz
08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Assuming it's still going on, Staples has Peachtree Accounting Pro for $150 with a $150 MIR... so it's basically free, if you trust the mail-in rebate stuff.

Darius Ferlas
08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been using Quicken (http://quicken.intuit.com/) since version 1 which came with the computer. I keep it fresh and always running the latest version.

It's not free, and if you want to use the online transaction sync and reconciliation with your banks then there is a yearly fee. The prices vary depending on the version/service level.

Lee Schierer
08-09-2010, 1:11 PM
+1 for Quicken it does a great job and is fairly inexpensive. It connects with my bank to download transactions.

Dave Gaul
08-09-2010, 1:23 PM
+1 on Quicken.

I tried Money about 10 years ago and hated it. Love Quicken. Simple if you want it to be, and all the features if you want to get complicated!

I buy the recent version, keep it until it is no longer support (usually 3 years) and then buy the recent version again.. usually get a discount if you re-up to the new version when the old one is about to expire...

Matt Meiser
08-09-2010, 1:42 PM
We are switching to Quicken. Costco had a really good price on it a while back. We haven't actually switched yet since LOML is dreading it (she's been responsible for finance system conversions at work too) but in my mind there really was no choice since we use the online banking features--which is also really the only reason we've stuck with a big name back merger, after merger, after merger since none of the local credit unions or the hometown bank support those features.

Bryan Morgan
08-09-2010, 5:00 PM
Mint is free but you get what you pay for. It would be awesome if they would fix their auto-renaming rules. It gets all the info but only creates rules from the first few characters. Therefore everytime you buy something with your ATM and the transaction starts with "Purchase" it will get catagorized as whatever the very first "Purchase" rule says.... even if theres extra info like "Purchase KFC" or whatever. For me, all the "Purchase" transactions turn into "Home Depot" and just wrecks the whole thing. The information is there, you can see it, but Mint won't use it. Quicken is nice but its super buggy, doesn't work right with all online banks (I had tons of problems with Citibank), and has a learning curve to it. MS Money is what it is.... I moved away from it too. So I too am curious what people are using and what actually works correctly.

Brian Elfert
08-09-2010, 9:37 PM
Microsoft Money works perfectly for me. The problem is that Microsoft dropped the product. I would probably keep on upgrading forever if it was still being sold.

I find the whole two years of online service just stupid. Now that the product isn't being sold why can't just extend everyone until the day in 2011 when online services are being discontinued? There is a version that will work forever if you don't want online services. My Money expires just before Labor day and I don't have time to convert to Quicken right now.

Microsoft is recommending Quicken and apparently Intuit has written a converter.