PDA

View Full Version : No. 14b - A Successful Salvage Operation

James Combs
08-09-2010, 9:26 AM
You may recall the plum wood flower that mistakenly turned "too" round. It kind of looked like an old style bee hive.

A comment on the posting was to cut new flats on it and then glue it together using the new flats.

Here is the results compared to the Walnut flower. Note that it is now about half the size of the walnut one but it started out the same.

Stats are:
Material - plum wood
Height - 3" (not counting the stem)
Petal spread - 2-1/8"
Finish - CA x4 + wax

Note that two of the petals are larger then the other two due to me not getting the blank center when cutting the new flats. Just try getting symmetrical cuts at right angles on a cylinder.:eek:

Just an FYI, I didn't give the stats on the walnut flower it was twice the size of this one and similarly finished.

Tom Sherman
08-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Nice save JD, like the look of the plum.

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Nice save... That's really beautiful wood, and I like the flower form.

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
JD, I like this wood much better. What about taking this project to another level? Perhaps turn another with more of a "flip" outward at the tips, and then turn an inset for the center with a small amount of carving to mimic a partially opened tulip - like the one on the far left? You could bring the joints in the outer turning down a little to give a more open look - with less "return ogee."

Just trying to complicate this for as much as possible!!:D;) But, I think you are on to something here, and could take it a ways further.

Tony De Masi
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1486216].[[ Perhaps turn another with more of a "flip" outward at the tips, and then turn an inset for the center with a small amount of carving to mimic a partially opened tulip - like the one on the far left? You could bring the joints in the outer turning down a little to give a more open look - with less "return ogee."

WHAT ????? Ok JK, you have managed to confuse the heck out of me.

Tony

Oh, very nice job JD. I really like them.

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM

TonyWell, my work here today is done!:) I was able to accomplish that with just one paragraph - just think what I can do with a 15 page contract!!!:D

James Combs
08-09-2010, 2:52 PM
Well, my work here today is done!:) I was able to accomplish that with just one paragraph - just think what I can do with a 15 page contract!!!:D

It boggles the mind:rolleyes:.

Tony De Masi
08-09-2010, 3:26 PM
JK, Can what you said be stated again in English? Even the King's English would probably work.

Tony

Roland Martin
08-09-2010, 4:49 PM
It boggles the mind:rolleyes:.

A sign of a great lawyer:D How would you like to be his client while he's explaining retainers, percentages, etc.,etc......:eek::eek::eek:!!!:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-09-2010, 5:00 PM
James,
Great save. That piece of wood deserved to be the something special and now it is.
fmr

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2010, 5:13 PM
Must just be me then - but I followed what John suggested and it would look pretty cool!

I really like the form and color of your newest flower! Seems to me that petite forms would have more of a draw than the larger ones when it comes to the artful stuff. Don't know for sure - just seems like it.

Looking forward to your next variation!

Nice save by the way!

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 5:27 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1486216].[[ Perhaps turn another with more of a "flip" outward at the tips, and then turn an inset for the center with a small amount of carving to mimic a partially opened tulip - like the one on the far left? You could bring the joints in the outer turning down a little to give a more open look - with less "return ogee."

Tony

Oh, very nice job JD. I really like them.

The great part is that somebody(probably JD) got billed for an hour while that paragraph was being composed.:D

Matt Ranum
08-09-2010, 5:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tony De Masi;1486249]

The great part is that somebody(probably JD) got billed for an hour while that paragraph was being composed.:D

Ssshhhh!!! That client might be on this forum!!:p

I too think the smaller flower looks nicer, more delicate. I think what JK mentioned would look pretty cool too with the tips working in opposite directions, if I followed him right.

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tony De Masi;1486249]

The great part is that somebody(probably JD) got billed for an hour while that paragraph was being composed.:DWell, my gosh, I certainly hope so!! You don't really think I create that kind of havoc for free do you?!?!!?:cool:

Thom Sturgill
08-09-2010, 5:51 PM
Note that two of the petals are larger then the other two due to me not getting the blank center when cutting the new flats. Just try getting symmetrical cuts at right angles on a cylinder.:eek:

A natural flower does not have perfectly even petals. Just makes it look more natural.

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2010, 8:42 PM
Great save! And I agree with what Thom said, above!
I also want to know how long it took you... when you post the pic of the one that JK suggested. :D