PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
08-09-2010, 8:54 AM
9 Aug 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, it's been HOT and humid here as well as just being thankful that my A/C works every single day. Been trying to stay cool and glad that's easy enough to do because of the day job. Working in IT does have it's benefits at times ya know.

Been cleaning in the shop some more and also been patching, well teaching my 2 boys how to patch holes in sheet rock because my youngest son seems to have a temper and we've been having "fix the hole" lessons over the last 2 week period....all at their expense for supplies of course and this week we get to take them and allow them to buy a quart of the exact color paint and then they get to learn how to paint a wall that has been patched. Oh how life has it's lessons at times for all of us.

Well, I'm oncall this week for the day job and I work 6 days last week due to other workloads at the day job. We lost a very fine computer engineer to another employer and I'm going to miss him greatly. Unfortunately, we are able to hire a replacement for him due to company hiring freezes. I guess it's more work for those that are left on an already over-stressed team.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2010, 9:56 AM
Saturday I took out about 5' of cracked and sunken concrete in my parents' sidewalk and poured new. Instead of mixing with a hoe in a wheelbarrow I rented a small electric mixer that did 2-80lb bags at a time at a local hardware for $25/day which was a LOT easier--in fact I got it back in just over 3 hours so they gave me $5 back on the rental. Saturday evening LOML and I went to an outing for her work--a cruise on the Maumee River in Toledo which was actually pretty nice. Got to try some microbrews from a soon-to-be-opening microbrewery in Toledo that one of their doctors is opening. Sunday I smoked 11lbs of beef brisket while working on yard work including chipping most of a big pile of brush left over from part of a tree the neighbors lost a week or so ago.

Also gained a few family members as one of my cousins and her husband had their first child on Thursday afternoon and my brother and his wife had their first on Sunday. My brother's wife also has a brother Matt so we got the honor of the middle name. None are local so it will be a while before we see them but between Facebook posts (both new moms posted on FB within a couple hours!) we've at least gotten to see photos. And we aren't done as another new nephew is expected in the next couple weeks. Guess there must have been a bad winter storm 9 months ago or something ;)

Kirk Simmons
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I a good part of spent the weekend cleaning my shop. Nothing too amazing, but something we've all done =)

Gary Herrmann
08-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Mowed the lawn. Weeded the beds in the back yard. Cleaned the pool. Moved two full racks of firewood and two sheds in preparation for putting a new fence in.

Almost got some woodworking in...

Karl Card
08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Well I have been getting around to making boxes (10x6 or there abouts size in inches) and have been putting it off for about a year now due to lack of confidence. I just alwasy feel like it is harder than it really is kind of deal. Well I mde my box joint jig and it freakin worked... just a small tweak and it is sweet.... yes this is nothing to most of you but your talking about a person with low confidence and has really noone to show me things...

So now I have several pieces like padauk, spalted maple, purpleheart, braziliana rosewood, some ebony from brazil or somewhere in that area and i have a very special piece of curly cherry to make some boxes... well then I ran into a problem with inseting the bottom of these boxes due to dado cuts and joint corners... Well until I can get a straight bit I am going to put some legs on a few of these boxes and then do a few with a miter cut corner and just have some fun in getting these together... then I will be going to flea market.. but anyway that is what I did this weekend and my face was just glowing when I finaly started getting it all together...

Matt Logana
08-09-2010, 4:44 PM
My weekend included power washing the shop floor to get it queeky clean... until someone decided to walk through with their muddy shoes while it was drying.... so I guess thats tommorrow's chore. Grr I could kill 'em!

Along with a healthy serving of annoying co-workers...

Fred Voorhees
08-09-2010, 4:57 PM
Haven't been around much here at SMC for a while simply because of the heat of this summer and it certainly HAS been oppressive! That means that it has been quite hot up in the shop. Because of that, I just haven't cranked out any project in a while now. This weekend was sort of dedicated to applying a new mastic roof coating to my 1987 Nomad camper. It was overdue for the job and it was one of the major things that I wanted to get done this summer. Besides that, it was my usual night at the races Saturday night and Sunday the guys were over to take in the days NASCAR race in my air conditioned bar room here at home. Other than that, I didn't do much besides take my usual Sunday morning eleven mile bike ride.

The camper roof:

Kent E. Matthew
08-09-2010, 8:21 PM
Still fussing with my new dovetail jig. Have not achieved consistent results yet.

Brian Runau
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
This is out of treated plywood and deckboards put over a 6x6.

Brian