PDA

View Full Version : miter saw placement help

Bob Riefer
08-09-2010, 8:25 AM
Hello,
I'm having a little trouble figuring out where I want my miter saw in my workshop - although, I'm open to reconsidering placement of any of the tools as needed. I have a 12x20 space that you see here.

There's a door to the left of the miter saw's current location which makes it a bad spot because any permanent solution is impossible, and even a roller stand system blocks the door that I need to walk through constantly.

Going width wise in a 12 foot wide space doesn't allow for a permanent solution, only a roller stand option... and even that ends up a little tight when I'm doing construction type of work with longer boards.

The right hand wall currently holds lumber, but I'm not opposed to moving that since I'll be insulating that wall and enclosing it before this winter. So maybe I move the table saw away from that wall a little bit, build a counter/miter saw station there, leave a little walk room and then have the table saw more centrally located? Move the jointer nearer to where the miter saw currently sits?

What do you think?

Thanks!!!
Bob R.

Mitchell Andrus
08-09-2010, 9:00 AM
I put my miter saw immediately next to the wood rack. A rough cut to length is always the first cut. Swinging a 12 footer around in the shop is nuts.

Prashun Patel
08-09-2010, 9:14 AM
Can you back the mitersaw to the jointer?
If you adjust the height of one or the other, they can even share a stand with folding infeed/outfeed wings that work for either tool.

Bob Riefer
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Prashun,
Thanks, that's definitely a good idea to consider. If I swing the door into the other side of the workshop the other direction (right now it swings out towards the jointer... I could make it swing the other way into the other space) that would unclutter that walking area to make what you're suggesting possible.

Are you just brainstorming, or are you against the idea of building a counter against the right hand wall? Btw, I think if I went that route, the counter would end up serving double duties as a general work surface.. which could be annoying (to have to move/clear stuff out of the way to do cuts etc.)

Gordon L. Johnson
08-28-2010, 5:42 PM
I share my MS table w/ my TS extension table...........seems to work for my limited space.