PDA

View Full Version : Need help with vinage/antique? hand saw

Al Peterson
08-09-2010, 1:27 AM
First,Hello everyone i'm Al and new here at Sawmill.I've been woodworking for a little bit now,and caught the antique hand tool bug just a little while ago.I,ve slowly amassed some neat but yet unimpressive stuff so far(but i'm workin on it:D).I have spent time on the net,baught some collecting books etc. so far trying to gain some knowledge on this HUGE subject.

I came across this saw about a week ago now.I can find NOTHING on it on the web so far.I'm SURE someone has some idea about it here.So,i'll ask for some help in guiding me to the right refference or source material to get some kind of info. on this saw.

It's unusual that it seems VERY small overall in size,i'll give some specs. and pics.,hopefully someone has an idea about this.

BLADE PLATE- Blade-length at teeth is 15 5/8" & 19" overall length. Heel-4 1/2" Toe-2"
*11 P.P.I. (marked just above teeth at heel) cross cut saw
*MEDALLION-Warranted superior ,older i THINK as it has a bevel instead of half round around rim.Also has old style eagle on it.
*VERY NICE deep,crisp, chip carved wheat stalks
*HANDLE- is light with very little grain maybe apple wood?? not 100% sure.I can only get 3 fingers inside of grip.It's almost like this is a kids saw.Possibly a SMALL toolbox saw,or even maybe an ADVERTISING type saw?????
ETCHING-Is VERY clear and ornate it seems for a little "Box saw".Etching states:sping steel,warranted,patent temper,WILSON,patent ground,underhill,saw co.

I've tried looking under American and English makers etc. and NOTHING.I've put EVERY word in the etching in every way too,nodda.

Here are some pics.,thanks for any help with this everyone,Al
*ETCHING-

Mike Hutchison
08-09-2010, 6:25 AM
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pBaker/pBaker-index.asp

George Sanders
08-09-2010, 6:59 AM
According to the DisstonianInstitute.com the two stars just under the eagle indicate that this saw was made by Disston. Go to the site and look under the heading Warrented Superior medallions.

Jonathan McCullough
08-09-2010, 7:21 AM
That looks to me like it could be a Harvey Peace P26 saw. They made a lot of those branded for department stores. I have one like that; the handle's different but the etch is similar. Mine was for a department store in Detroit, I think.

Al Peterson
08-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks all SO much,i'll take what you've given me a work from there.

Thanks again,Al

george wilson
08-09-2010, 5:09 PM
I found a coffin shaped wooden smooth plane last month by Wilson. Only one I ever saw.

Joshua Clark
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I can't tell you much about it, but I can give you some clues. I bet it was a custom-etched hardware store saw or a second-line saw by one of the larger saw makers. It probably dates to the 1920s or later, but no later than say 1950. I'm basing this based on the fact that there are no patent dates on the medallion and the saw screws look to be steel, not brass. It's definitely not a Peace saw- he was long out of business when this saw was made- a P-26 would have the brass reinforcing plate (or evidence of it) at the bottom of the handle and a cherry handle. at 16 inches in length it would have been a small panel saw or toolbox saw. The small size makes it much more valuable in my experience.

Cool saw..

Josh

rick carpenter
08-11-2010, 1:03 AM
Looks like a D-16 panel saw handle, maybe or maybe not a Disston plate tho. (I have a Keen Kutter No 88 which has a Disston No 16 handle.) The Disstonian site says the D-16 didn't have carving on it, yours does, hmmm....