PDA

View Full Version : Build question - headboard & nightstand feature

Shawn Christ
08-08-2010, 9:43 PM
I'm working on a bedroom set for my wife and I, starting with a queen headboard. It is a simple design, based on something we saw in a retail store. A common design feature is a rail, or horizontal band, that runs along the face and sides of all of the pieces. See the pics, as noted with the red arrow.

On the headboard, the panel is inset from the corner posts by 3/8". Rather than try to dado this, I figured I would face-glue a piece of molding, cut to fit the offset faces and mitered at the corners. Do you think this is the best approach?

But on the nightstands, which are next on the list, I'm wondering if this feature should be made part of the case, as a divider between the lower opening and upper drawer unit. Same for the chest of drawers, which isn't pictured here but is last on my list. Suggestions?

Jacob Robinson
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I did something similar on a mantelpiece, and it separated after a year or so. You'd be better off doing the dado. More work, but well worth it in terms of final product in my opinion.

Bret Duffin
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Please dado. Then you can fit the rails into the stiles with tenons. Might as well do it right.

I use the little "parting bead" detail often using a 1/2" bullnose or half round. It's a nice touch.

Good luck, Bret

Lee Schierer
08-09-2010, 8:23 AM
I did a similar trim on a bedroom set I built for my son and his wife.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/1dresser.jpg
The trim strip is attached across the front with glue and screws since the grain directions are the same. The side pieces were mitered and glued to the front 1" and then attached to the sides from the inside with screws in slots so the sides can move seasonally. If you decide to dado the pieces in use a sliding dovetail as it will allow movement and hold the piece in place.

Shawn Christ
08-09-2010, 1:58 PM
:(. Are you guys really gonna make me dado that headboard? I guess I can dado each piece before the panels and posts are assembled and hope they line up. At least that way if I mess up I won't ruin the entire piece and have to start over.

This is helpful, thanks. Any other thoughts?

Lee Schierer
08-09-2010, 2:39 PM
:(. Are you guys really gonna make me dado that headboard? I guess I can dado each piece before the panels and posts are assembled and hope they line up. At least that way if I mess up I won't ruin the entire piece and have to start over.

This is helpful, thanks. Any other thoughts?

On your head board you can just glue the trim to the piece running across the headboard as the grain will be running the same way. Let the area crossing the vertical piece at each end float free. On your night stand the sides will have vertical grain and the trim will have horizontal grain. You don't want to glue a 10-12inch long piece across that much grain. It won't work, you have to let the vertical grain piece float when it is that wide other wise the joint will fail.

Shawn Christ
08-09-2010, 3:23 PM
On your head board you can just glue the trim to the piece running across the headboard as the grain will be running the same way. Let the area crossing the vertical piece at each end float free. On your night stand the sides will have vertical grain and the trim will have horizontal grain. You don't want to glue a 10-12inch long piece across that much grain. It won't work, you have to let the vertical grain piece float when it is that wide other wise the joint will fail.
I agree, thanks for the clarification. I like your approach on your chest of drawers and may mimic it. Or I may still make that point an actual divider in the case and attach the upper "module" to it.

glenn bradley
08-09-2010, 3:41 PM
I'd dado it.