PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes at NM Woodturners Aug. meeting

Michael James
08-08-2010, 7:30 PM
I went to my 1st local mtg...finally! Annual dues are $20, but they only charged me $10 for the remainder of the yr. Lunch was definitely worth the $5 - several deli meats, cheeses, types of bread, condiments, chips and bottomless soda pop! I bought $5 worth of raffle tickets (see they got their 20.00) and won 2 of those glass tubes for inserts into a vessal so you can put a cut flower in. I thought that was a good omen!
Jimmy is/was awesome! I thought he was going to demo from 9-12, but he went until 3 (when the shop it was held at closed) and claimed it was not enough time, so he's coming back as he only lives about an hour and a half away. Humorous, humble, personable, talented as all get out, passionate about his work, LOVES the US and is planning on becoming a citizen!!!:)
Hopefully, I will retain many of the things I learned.
I attached 5 pics. 2 of Jimmy, his asian box (and he turns that FAST RPM), a silver inlaid ebony cabochan, that was set into the lid of a lidded vessel...yes that's 2 pieces....look closely. My neighbor held the box for me - I should have had him tilt it to show the ebony.
He ran out of time on the last project which was a dyeing demo on a bowl so no pic of that.
If you get a chance to see this guy live, or better yet study with him, don't pass it up!

Tom Sherman
08-08-2010, 7:58 PM
Mike that is really cool. we have Ray Key coming to our turning club in september I've seen him before and he is also a very remarkable turner, try to see all of the pro's you can, they are for the most part very approachable folks.

David E Keller
08-08-2010, 9:15 PM
I'm glad you had fun and congrats on the door prize. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd love to see Jimmy demo. I had a blast at his house, but I'd like to just watch him turn. I agree with your assessment of his personality... He's just an affable guy that likes to teach.

I'll post something when I get my plan together to go back to LV for another turning session in case some other creekers would like to attend.

Dave Carey
08-09-2010, 8:53 PM
I saw Jimmy Clewes do the box with the inlaid silver at the AAW Symposium in Hartford. He's a great presenter and makes it look easy and effortless. The silver in the ebony just sparkles and looks even better in person than it does in the picture. If you get a chance he's worth it IMHO.

Joe Meirhaeghe
08-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Michael
Glad to see you fianly took my advice to visit a turning club. I knew you'd enjoy it, having Jimmy there was a real bounus too. I"m glad you joined it.
You should also consider joining the AAW too.

Michael James
08-10-2010, 1:52 PM
Michael
Glad to see you fianly took my advice to visit a turning club. I knew you'd enjoy it, having Jimmy there was a real bounus too. I"m glad you joined it.
You should also consider joining the AAW too.
Hey Joe! I would have gone sooner but they only meet once a month. I was up in Utah for the July meeting and fear I may be in Olklahoma for the September meeting.
But I've been continuing to catalog my "notes to self" on things not to do again!:D Saftey 1st, no one's getting hurt.
mj