PDA

View Full Version : Artsy Fartsy #1

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 6:05 PM
I wanted to do something besides make round bowls etc. I've made scores of bowls, and frankly it can get a little boring. I wanted to try some painting and texturing. This is the result. I suppose it could be an incense stick holder if a small cork is put in it, or it could be a holder for dried flowers. It's about 7" in diameter. It was fun to do once I got over the idea of "now I'm going to start making marks on it that may completely screw it up". It took about 3 days to work up the courage.157805

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 6:27 PM
Carl, those "marks" you made on it really add to this piece! Looks like you painted it first, then did the texture?? I wonder what it would look like with black, or really dark brown, rubbed into the texture? Or, perhaps some other accent? Just thinking out loud....

Nice work!

Dennis Ford
08-08-2010, 6:35 PM
Good work, I like that you allowed some wood to show and that you were not afraid to get outside your comfort zone.

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 7:19 PM
I tried filling with black paint on a practice piece, and it posed some problems which I wasn't in the mood to solve. I will try it down the road though. When the light catches the cuts just right, it looks like gilding.

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 7:22 PM
Thanks Dennis. I was way outside my comfort zone. I like black and white and straight lines. Grey is radical in my world.

James Combs
08-08-2010, 9:02 PM
Looks nice and different. Do you have a profile shot of it you can post?

Mike Minto
08-08-2010, 9:05 PM
Still looks kinda round, to me...

bobby lynn
08-08-2010, 9:16 PM
Love the name Carl.:)

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 9:58 PM
Jim
Here it is in profile. The middle is 4 layers of veneer of 8 segments each - rosewood and cherry are alternated in each layer and then offset between layers. It's hard to see even when you're holding it.