PDA

View Full Version : Segmented bowl #2 and er 2 1/2

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 5:57 PM
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]As you may notice, these bowls look similar. The small bowl was intended to be the upper portion of the larger bowl and the opening was to be in the bottom of the smaller bowl. Clear??? I was too caught up in the moment when I was cutting the bottom portion to notice that I had over-cut the inside such that the top didn't have enough of a glue joint. I also forgot to put a veneer on the bottom of the bottom segment of the larger bowl. Lots of mistakes that could have been forestalled with more thinking and less action. Oh well! That's my life. It was fun to make and a challenge to do. The wood is maple and rosewood veneer with spalted maple bottoms. Notice that one veneer between segments looks thicker than the others. That's another lesson - take into account the angle of the cuts. The next one will be perfect er ok at least better. Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 6:36 PM
We don't make mistakes - we just have "happy little accidents," i.e., design opportunities!!

Tom Sherman
08-08-2010, 6:59 PM
they may not be in the original design, but are cool, nice work carl.

Ron Lynch
08-08-2010, 7:19 PM
If you hadn't brought it up we wouldn't have known. They look fine just the way they are. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

David Christopher
08-08-2010, 9:11 PM
very nice segmentified bowls

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2010, 9:15 PM
Extremely nice bowls. Well done.

David E Keller
08-08-2010, 9:24 PM
Great looking bowls... I wish my goofs looked that good.

Greg Just
08-08-2010, 9:27 PM
I like them, especially the contrasting veneer. Did you buy the veneer or make it yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Carl Miller
08-08-2010, 9:39 PM
That veneer is a story in itself. A friend of mine ask me if I wanted some veneer that an old guy had given him. It had been that guys fathers and had been sitting around for 30 years or more. I said yeah - I can always use some more veneer and I went over to get it. It was in a box about 12 feet long, 18 inches wide and about 6 inches high. It was mostly rosewood with some white oak, walnut and cherry. I couldn't believe it. Steve told me to take half. I did and I will be using it when I die.

John Hart
08-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Lots of mistakes that could have been forestalled with more thinking and less action. Oh well! That's my life.

Story of my life too Carl! :o

Great looking pieces. I like your style. :)

David DeCristoforo
08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
"Lots of mistakes that could have been forestalled with more thinking and less action."

What Hart said... If you look up "life" in the dictionary, that's what is says... or at least it should! For me, I'd be happy to have the patience to make even one of those!

John W Dixon
08-08-2010, 11:34 PM
I really like these. Very nice job.

John

Michelle Rich
08-09-2010, 6:26 AM
hi Carl..very attractive "mistakes" I have a tad of a concern..your bowl bottom appears to be one LARGE piece..mated to segments, of which 1/2 are conflicting grain joints. Have you made bottoms this way before? Has the vessel withstood the test of time? Very pretty segmented mistakes!

Rick Huelsbeck
08-09-2010, 7:47 AM
Those are gorgeous, wish my mistakes could turn out so nice.

Carl Miller
08-09-2010, 1:01 PM
Thanks Michelle. I have done other bowls that way and they have stood up. I'll have to wait to see on the segmented ones. It seems to me that at some point you have to have a solid piece, or inlay a circular piece. I do have experience with that, and it starts showing the joint pretty quickly.

Roland Martin
08-09-2010, 4:31 PM
Very well done mistakes Carl:) I hope you post something in the future that you're happy with:D