PDA

View Full Version : Question for Steve Schlumpf

Richard Madden
08-08-2010, 3:01 PM
Or anyone else who has dyed pieces. I've read where Steve uses RIT fabric dye and alcohol. What proportions fo each? Of course, the color intensity desired will have a bearing on the mix, but where is a good place to start? I have a couple urn sized pieces drying (maple) and the grain is on the bland side, just not much going on with both pieces. I thought these might stand dying to jazz them up a little. Could you tell me what procedures you go through to arrive at a finish like your Curly Maple #3 ? Any info would be appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2010, 3:15 PM
Richard - proportions really aren't that critical. Course, the more dye you use - the more intense the color.

In the interest of saving my 2 typing fingers a lot of exercise - check out these threads because I think they should answer your questions. If not - let me know!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121497
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121669

One thing to remember - RIT dye will fade with time and especially when exposed to UV light. There are other dyes out there that take a little longer to fade - but from my understanding - most will fade with time.

Richard Madden
08-08-2010, 3:48 PM
Thanks, Steve. The links answer all my questions. Thanks again.

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 7:02 PM
Richard, I have used some toy dyes and leather dye, but recently bought some Transtint to try. I think Steve has some, as well. My experience is that each piece of wood will react differently, and Steve is right - the proportions aren't critical.

On the 3 or 4 pieces I have done, I used black first, then sanded it out, then applied the color dye. Obviously, they work better on figured wood like curly maple.

From my understanding, regardless of which dyes you get, the blue and blue based dyes (greens, etc.) will fade quicker than the reds and yellows.

Allen Neighbors
08-08-2010, 8:31 PM
One thing to remember - RIT dye will fade with time and especially when exposed to UV light. There are other dyes out there that take a little longer to fade - but from my understanding - most will fade with time.
Steve,
I've recently died some pens with Food Coloring. Do you know if this stuff will fade like the other dyes?
Just need to know to warn people... or whether to sell these dyed pens or not...
Just have a week before the big show....

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2010, 8:56 PM
Allen - no idea if food color will fade or not - but would assume so. I would just let folks know that dyes have a tendency to fade when stored with exposure to UV light.

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2010, 7:59 PM
Thanks, Steve, that's what I'll do....

Sid Matheny
08-10-2010, 8:47 PM
Well proportions may not be critical but I would record the amounts I used just to have if I wanted to do another that looks the same.

Sid

Richard Madden
08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1485727]Richard, I have used some toy dyes and leather dye, but recently bought some Transtint to try.

John,
How did the leather dye work out? Reason I ask, there has been a craigslist add selling leather/fabric dye for some cheap prices, like $1.00/16oz. Were you happy with the results?

David DeCristoforo
08-11-2010, 12:10 PM
"How did the leather dye work out?..."

Dye is dye. There are three "basic types" of dye typically used in woodworking, alcohol soluble, water soluble and oil soluble. Most of the fabric dyes you can buy for home use are water soluble. Leather dye is alcohol soluble and really no different from alcohol soluble dyes sold as "wood dyes". Both water and alcohol based dyes will fade over time, the rate being affected by conditions like how much light (UV) the piece is exposed to. Oil dyes do not fade much but they are more "obscure" than water and alcohol based dyes.