PDA

View Full Version : Claro Walnut HF

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 8:10 AM
Well, I am back on the Claro walnut kick! As some of you know, I have a bunch of it (but not too much!!;)) that I bought from Mike Smith. It is a dream to work with, and always has such beautiful figure.

This piece started out in another life. A couple of months ago, I started a HF with this piece intending it to be more along the lines of the form recently posted by Richard Madden. As I commented in that thread, his form is one of my favorites. That was "pre - Monster hollowing rig" time, and I got a slight catch while hollowing that severed the form well above the tenon. It shocked me, as it wasn't anything I felt should have done that. I lost a good portion of the thickness, but I decided the wood was too pretty to trash. I tossed it out of the way, and vowed to revisit it someday.

While waiting on the Monster to come in, I took a handplane to the piece and flattened a spot on the bottom. A waste tenon was glued on and it was reshaped. I laid it aside with plans to make it the pilot "Monster" project. I needed an experimental piece for learning the system, anyway. It is more shallow than orginally intended, but I think the form still works OK.

The finish on this piece is lacquer, and it is still pretty soft. It has been buffed with tripoli and white diamond, but no wax yet. I will let it cure and rebuff.

5" wide x 5.75" tall, the form is 2.5" to the top of the collar. The collar and finial are African Blackwood, with a Claro inset. This form violates the "rule" I have seen posted on the finial being 2/3 of the height of the form, so I suspect some may fell it to be too tall. But, without the mass of a "Drozda" type finial, it seems to be fairly well balanced, but I defer to your comments! What do you think?

I noticed in the pic that the inset looks to have a "band" in the middle. The shadows from the upper and lower flares apparently played tricks with the photographer!! Also, I noticed some dust in the upper embellishment of the finial.

Dimensions are hard to comprehend sometimes, so I have included the penny for comparison. The bottom finial was done to the max length to create the illusion of "this ain't gonna fit!" Seems to have worked - when I showed the finial to Ms. Keeton, she was afraid I had made it too long!

Rex Guinn
08-08-2010, 8:23 AM
John, I am really jealous that you do such great work.
And after three years I can't even come close.

David Christopher
08-08-2010, 8:27 AM
John, thats a beautiful piece of walnut, and you did it justice

Tony De Masi
08-08-2010, 8:36 AM
There ya go again John. Absolutely beautiiful piece. However I must agree that the finial is way to long for the size of the HF. Until of course you put it on the piece:rolleyes:

Tony

John Hart
08-08-2010, 8:57 AM
Beautiful piece John. The wood combination is appealing to me, and I like how you've integrated them into the finial as well. Nicely finished and a wonderful form.

I figure someone is going to pick that up some day, pull the finial out to look inside, and break off the tip. :eek:

I don't want to be around when that happens.:)

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2010, 9:01 AM
John - looks like another winner to me! Beautiful wood, finish and the excellent detail work on your delicate finial along with the double-ended idea really makes this a piece that stands out!

I am sure that this will be one of the turnings you will submit for jury consideration. I wish you luck with that! Unless it sells at your show - in which case I hope you get the big bucks!

Very nice work! Great use of imagination! Best of luck with your new website! For those of you who haven't been there yet - http://americanwoodturner.org/#content

Seriously nice work John! Thanks for sharing! :D

David Woodruff
08-08-2010, 9:26 AM
John, The form is perfect. I don't know that I have seen finials more nicely executed.
I must have missed the post; what "Monster" are you waiting on?

James Combs
08-08-2010, 9:42 AM
John had the finial in his lathe during our visit the other day. Photographs do not really convey how small and petite his finials are. I actually thought mine were fairly small but they look like logs next to pencils compared to his. Note the thickness of the penny compared to the thinness of the thinner parts of the finial. Such craftsmanship/artship will not go unnoticed at his the jury-ing process.

Great work resulting in great piece John.

Michelle Rich
08-08-2010, 9:49 AM
You are not human..you are a turning droid..The finial could not be made by human hands/eyes. Needless to say, it's a beauty

Michael James
08-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice one John...again. Im not ready for finials but I can appreciate nice ones. Oh, and great save - without that comment no one would have ever known!

Same question as Iasked Mike M earlier, plz: How do you rechuck that shape to access the foot? :confused:

David E Keller
08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Very nice save. I've got to get in touch with your wood guy... That stuff is gorgeous!

I love the double ended finial, and the tiny opening on the piece. I'm sure people will remove the finial and then try to look into the opening, but I doubt you can see anything through that tiny hole.

Tom Sherman
08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
John what can I say but WOW. The piece is exquisite and your finial could stand (and probably win ) with anyone's.

Dennis Ford
08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Beautiful work, this piece seems to be screaming "Look at me". The proportions are perfect, much better than blind adherence to the 2/3 "rule".

Harvey Ghesser
08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I give up...

Roger Chandler
08-08-2010, 1:01 PM
Wow! That is a beauty! Great save! You probably have the most elegant finial that I have seen to date. Cindy and you would have a real competition on your hands if you were to be competing.

Beautiful claro walnut. This walnut, while beautiful does not equal your BLM burl in beauty, but as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

John, simply put, you just excel at hollow forms, and they do seem to have captured your imagination.......well executed, and once again you set the bar high, for us all to reach for!

John W Dixon
08-08-2010, 2:00 PM
Beautiful work! I can't wait to get your book or dvd..... Finials by John Keeton. What do you mean you haven't started on a dvd yet? Get with it man! :D

John

charlie knighton
08-08-2010, 2:07 PM
very nice, will you give us a break on price of dvd if we order now????????

David DeCristoforo
08-08-2010, 2:13 PM
Sweet! That's all I have to say about it but the configuration of this forum software will not let me post a one word reply.

Richard Madden
08-08-2010, 2:32 PM
Beautiful work, John. I like everything about it, form, finish, proportions, and that finial...very, very nice. I would need a jewelers magnifier just to see such detail, but even then I'm not sure I could do it to that degree. Excellent work!!

Alan Trout
08-08-2010, 3:13 PM
Wonderful piece as always. I would not expect any less.

Alan

Joshua Dinerstein
08-08-2010, 6:43 PM
Your work proves it best. Rules are really just guidelines. The height of the finial and proportions are magic. That is a seriously stunning piece.

Keep up the good work John. I think about how long you haven't been doing this and I find myself things "Self! You are seriously doing something wrong..."

I second the comment. "Finials and Hollow Forms with John Keeton". It would definitely find it's way into my dvd library.

Joshua

brian watts
08-08-2010, 7:01 PM
WOW....Beautiful piece John....

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 7:42 PM
All of you have been so supportive of my journey into the vortex - and, I really appreciate it! Thanks so much for all the kind comments.
I figure someone is going to pick that up some day, pull the finial out to look inside, and break off the tip. :eek:

I don't want to be around when that happens.:)Ms. Keeton mentioned that right after she commented on it possibly being too long!!:eek::( I hope I am not around when it happens either!:mad:

John, The form is perfect. I don't know that I have seen finials more nicely executed.
I must have missed the post; what "Monster" are you waiting on?David, I consider your work right at the top! Your comments are much appreciated. It was the Monster articulated hollowing system from Randy Privett that I had been waiting on. This was my first finished piece with the system - it is SWEET!!!:)

Same question as Iasked Mike M earlier, plz: How do you rechuck that shape to access the foot? :confused:Michael, I don't "rechuck" the piece. I have a threaded #2MT adapter I put in the tailstock. I take the chuck off the lathe with the HF still in it, then slip half my donut chuck over the Nova chuck so it captures the HF. I can then mount the back portion of the donut chuck on the lathe drive, and slide the HF up to the donut chuck already centered. Tighten down the donut chuck, and remove the Nova chuck from the HF. Then finish turn the bottom. Did that make sense?? It would be better with pics, but I didn't take any.:o

Beautiful work, John. I like everything about it, form, finish, proportions, and that finial...very, very nice. I would need a jewelers magnifier just to see such detail, but even then I'm not sure I could do it to that degree. Excellent work!!Thanks, Richard! I turn my finials under magnification - a 5X lighted magnifier. These 61 year old eyes require that!

Roger Chandler
08-08-2010, 9:19 PM
Thanks, Richard! I turn my finials under magnification - a 5X lighted magnifier. These 61 year old eyes require that!

John,

A lighted magnifier is a really great idea! I wish I had thought of that! I may have to figure a way to mount one on the headstock end of my lathe.......:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2010, 9:29 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I really like that finial.

Oh I just talked with Mike and told him no more Claro for John K till I get mine.:eek::D He laughed.

Randy Gazda
08-08-2010, 10:18 PM
John:

You do great work. Nice job.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Now that is a pretty finial John, that I like very much.
The HF is a HF, sorry I cant get too excited about them, but it is looking fine, good work for sure :-))

Leo in Kanata

Curt Fuller
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
John, everything about this piece is just beautiful. But I have to say that finial has to be one of the best I've seen. That's just an outstanding piece of work!

Don Alexander
08-09-2010, 12:31 AM
ok now you have done it .........................................

done what you ask? glad you asked you have made a finial i actually like :D:D and i generally am not a fan of finials not really sure why just not

very nice piece and by far the best finial i have seen, period !!!!!

Roland Martin
08-09-2010, 4:23 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I really like that finial.

Oh I just talked with Mike and told him no more Claro for John K till I get mine.:eek::D He laughed.

It figures! I just talked to Mike and he said Bernie's next:eek:

I love that piece of Claro John, putting aside the justice you've done to it. I don't seem to think the finial is too tall. The combination of colors is great and the fine work on the finial is unbelievable. By the way, very nice website:), best of luck John.

Baxter Smith
08-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Beautiful wood with a beautiful form! Well done!

Mark Hubl
08-10-2010, 1:16 PM
John,

Nice as always. The claro is truly beautiful. I think your finial works just fine. I think since the HF is wider than tall the finial dimension works well against the width. Like the double finial surprise as well.