PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on wipe-on poly

Hans Braul
08-08-2010, 7:38 AM
I am finishing a dining table with Minwax wipe-on poly. I've used it before with good results. I have applied a couple of very thin coats so far, with 24 hours between coats, but find the surface to be very slightly tacky after this wait time. It's been hot and humid lately, so this isn't entirely surprising. My question is, do I need to wait until each layer is completely dry-feeling, or can i proceed with 24 hours between coats? If I have to wait for days between coats this will take ages!

Regards
Hans

Jamie Oren
08-08-2010, 2:40 PM
I live in HI and it can be humid (70% to raining) every day here. I find that for the first few coats it does not matter. i like the clear gloss so on the last few coats when i am trying to get a super shine on it i wait untill it dries completely. that said i have waited more then a week to get to finishing due to the weather.
good luck!

Howard Acheson
08-08-2010, 5:40 PM
I would not apply more than three coats if those coats are not drying completely. The secondary curing process with oil based finishes is an interaction with oxygen. If you build up too many coats, oxygen will not be able to get through the outer layer to keep the process going.

Let it dry before applying any more. To speed it up, start up a fan and keep the air moving. Also, it is problematic to apply oil based finishes when the temperature and/or relative humidity is above 80 degrees or so.

Hans Braul
08-08-2010, 8:48 PM
Thanks Howard and Jamie,
I've had a fan on all day and that's really helped things. I now have 3 coats and it's looking good, with reasonable cure time for the 3rd coat. Many thanks for your help.

Hans