PDA

View Full Version : When you buy new clothing.....

Dave Lehnert
08-08-2010, 1:14 AM
When you buy new clothing, do you wash them first or just rip the tags off and put it on?

Stephen Tashiro
08-08-2010, 1:59 AM
I wash them first. Clothing from some places might have scorpions or spiders in it! Some people are allergic to the chemicals in new clothes. I'm not. I just don't like the way it feels when it's brand new.

Gene Howe
08-08-2010, 7:46 AM
My "new" clothes don't have store tags to rip off. :D
Well actually, I do have a new pair of bibs from Cabela's.
I wash em first...even those from yard sales and thrift stores.:eek:

Been retired for 7 years. Got enough dress clothes in the closet to last me for a good long time.

John Coloccia
08-08-2010, 7:50 AM
mental note: remove the tags before wearing

re: washing
I'll have to consult with the laundry fairy to find out what happens to the clothes after they enter the magic wicker basket. I always just assumed she knocks off the loose dirt, gives a couple of spritz of Febreeze and sets off the buzzer to let me know she's done. Washing would work too I suppose.

Mitchell Andrus
08-08-2010, 8:48 AM
I always just assumed she knocks off the loose dirt, gives a couple of spritz of Febreeze and sets off the buzzer to let me know she's done. Washing would work too I suppose.

Mine just form a semi-solid mass on the floor. When the flies get overwhelming....

Fabreeze? What's that?

A comedian had a great line, I wish I knew who said it: "My wife asked me why I don't pick my underwear up from the floor. I told her that I didn't have a stick."

Pat Germain
08-08-2010, 9:53 PM
I usually wash first. But not always. I wash first mainly because I don't like the feel of the "sizing" in new clothes.

Joe Pelonio
08-08-2010, 11:26 PM
New dress shirts always get washed before I wear them not only because they come stiff for display, but to get the wrinkles out. Some other clothes I'll wear right away if packaged, like socks. Pants, Pocket Ts and Polos have been tossed around, poked and prodded by who knows who, and have been stacked and folded several times by various employees, so they get washed. Sheets and towels definitely get washed.

Bryan Morgan
08-09-2010, 12:58 AM
When you buy new clothing, do you wash them first or just rip the tags off and put it on?

"New" clothing? Hmmm have to try that sometime... :D

Dar Lounsbury
08-09-2010, 2:54 AM
Wash first. I hate the feeling when they are not washed first. Stiff and seem dirty.

Dar

Belinda Barfield
08-09-2010, 7:22 AM
I always wash new clothes prior to wearing them. I don't like to think about the bodies that might have tried the items on before I purchased them. I don't even like to try on new clothes in the store. If I have to do so I shower immediately when I get home. Okay, so I'm a freak. Funny, I don't feel the same way about shoes. Go figure!

Mitchell Andrus
08-09-2010, 8:51 AM
New dress shirts always get washed before I wear them not only because they come stiff for display, but to get the wrinkles out.

Funny how things change. Used to be if you washed your clothes, they got wrinkled and you had to iron them.

Now we wash them to get the wrinkles out.

For the youngsters:

......iron... noun and verb. An appliance once used on a daily basis to flatten wrinkles in clothing before permanent press clothing was commonplace. ie: To iron one's clothes with a hot iron was to make them attractive to the opposite sex and acceptable to mother in-laws. Considered drudgery work. Ask your grandmother.

Mitchell Andrus
08-09-2010, 8:55 AM
I always wash new clothes prior to wearing them. I don't like to think about the bodies that might have tried the items on before I purchased them. I don't even like to try on new clothes in the store. If I have to do so I shower immediately when I get home. Okay, so I'm a freak. Funny, I don't feel the same way about shoes. Go figure!

Just think, someone will purchase the clothes YOU tried on.

Now I've gotta take a shower.

Cary Falk
08-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I always wash my clothes before I wear them. I have always done it because I don't want to think all of the people that may have tried them on(some maybe going while commando):eek:. My wife never used to wash them hers first. She has since come to the dark side with me.:D

Jim Rimmer
08-09-2010, 1:22 PM
Funny how things change. Used to be if you washed your clothes, they got wrinkled and you had to iron them.

Now we wash them to get the wrinkles out.

For the youngsters:

......iron... noun and verb. An appliance once used on a daily basis to flatten wrinkles in clothing before permanent press clothing was commonplace. ie: To iron one's clothes with a hot iron was to make them attractive to the opposite sex and acceptable to mother in-laws. Considered drudgery work. Ask your grandmother.
Do you wonder why irons have a permanent press setting?