PDA

View Full Version : No. 14 - Is It A Broom Or Is It A Flower???

James Combs
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I saw some wooden flowers (inside-out turnings) on here a few days ago which impressed me so that I wanted to try my own.

Here is my first attempt.
157748 157749
A really nice looking piece Plum wood don't you think. Here I have finished turning the inside. I was humming right along and applying my finish and thinking how nice this was going to look and then it hit me. If you look closely you will see that there are no flats on the bottom part. The flats are needed to re-glue it for the outside turning. With out any care in the world (read without thinking or read numb-skull, your choice:rolleyes:) I had turned the entire piece round:eek:. I just stood there and looked at my beautiful piece of wood and thought and thought "there must be a way to fix this", and of course there was, a new piece of wood.:mad:

Well I had no more plum wood, at lest not in the size I wanted so here is my second attempt. As far as I am concerned it is an ugly piece of walnut. I had cut and trimmed the blank hoping to have lighter sap wood at the tips of the petals but once I applied finish everything turned pretty much the same color.:(

I turned it as a flower:
157750 157751 157753

But you know if you turn it upside down it looks more like Mickey Mouses broom from the Sorcerer's Apprentice. (the original one:rolleyes:)

I am going to try it one more time (eventually) only this time I am going to use cedar.

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
That's cool. I think it's more flower than broom.

BTW, I don't see anything ugly about that walnut... It's beautiful.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Nice! Very nice! I played with inside-out turning when first started to learn how to turn. You can get some really cool designs and if you plan things right - the grain is matched and you won't even see a joint line.

Looking forward to seeing some more inside-out turnings!

Karl Card
08-08-2010, 3:50 AM
uhmmm james you have been watching to much tv...

that is very different and if you dont mind me recommending something you may want to try persimmon. It is light colored to medium colored and most of what I have turned reminds me of water colors on wood...

Just a thought. I have one huge piece left and then I gotta go get somem more wood somewhere...

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 7:47 AM
It is a flower!! And, a fine job, too. I think the walnut looks great, but I do think a lighter color with a little more variation in grain/color would work better.

Keith Burns
08-08-2010, 7:47 AM
I like this, very cool idea.

John Hart
08-08-2010, 9:01 AM
I like what you have going here James!!! It's a flower!!

...no wait...it's a broom.

I like Mickey Mouse. :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-08-2010, 9:15 AM
The plum wood is really pretty. Can you salvage it by making a jig and sanding flats into the lower portion then return the tops a bit smaller? The worst that can happen is Minnie will have a broom too.
fmr

James Combs
08-08-2010, 3:22 PM
That's cool. I think it's more flower than broom.
BTW, I don't see anything ugly about that walnut... It's beautiful.

I like what you have going here James!!! It's a flower!!
...no wait...it's a broom.
I like Mickey Mouse. :)

David/John H. I really should have said "mop" I am not sure where broom came from. I believe Mickey put his spell on all the cleaning gear including a broom but this looks more like his mop.:D

Nice! Very nice! I played with inside-out turning when first started to learn how to turn. You can get some really cool designs and if you plan things right - the grain is matched and you won't even see a joint line.
Looking forward to seeing some more inside-out turnings!

It is a flower!! And, a fine job, too. I think the walnut looks great, but I do think a lighter color with a little more variation in grain/color would work better.

Steve/John the one think I will say about this one is that the grain did line up nicely when I turned it outside out.:)

The plum wood is really pretty. Can you salvage it by making a jig and sanding flats into the lower portion then return the tops a bit smaller? The worst that can happen is Minnie will have a broom too.
fmr

Faust, thanks for the suggestion, you have got me to thinking and I believe I can actually salvage a smaller flower out of the plum. But I will probably try to shave the sides with a jig and my table saw verses a sander.

And thanks to everyone else for your comments and for looking.

Richard Madden
08-08-2010, 3:53 PM
Very nice... and definately a flower.

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2010, 9:40 PM
Really nice flower James. Well done.