PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Walnut

Josh Bowman
08-07-2010, 9:46 PM
Came home from work today and found a package from Jeff Nicol! So I just had to try one of the new tool rests.......right? It sure beat the stock rest on my Jet. It really let me move around more without hitting the centers. Much more comfortable on the hand also.
The bowl is walnut about 2" deep by 7" wide. It's maybe a bit to shiny....can't decide.:o I really suck at getting the nub off the bottom, I cut it as narrow as I could and knocked it off with a sharp chisel, but it left a bit of a scar, got to figure that part out or get a vacuum chuck.:)

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Congrats on the new tool rest.

That's pretty wood, and I don't think it's too shiny at all.

Depending on the type of wood, I usually turn the nub down to 1/4" or less then pare it away with a thin carving tool. After that, I hand sand and finish. Vacuum chucks, donut chucks, jumbo jaws, and a number of other tricks exist to finish off the bottom, so you get to pick a favorite.

James Combs
08-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I turn my parting nub down to about a 1/4 like David and make sure it is relatively long and then just snap the vessel off as far from the vessel as the nub will allow. I then dress it down with a small grinding wheel on my Dremel.

Shine?? What shine I don't see any shine, or at least nothing that is excessive. Looks great to me.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Josh - congrats on your new tool rests! Glad to hear they are working out for you!

Nice looking bowl! David listed most of your options when it comes to turning the tenon off a bowl. You can make just about any of them - and they all work - just some better than others!

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 7:51 AM
I LOVE my Nicols tool rests! Nice work on this one, Josh! Walnut is hard to beat for woodwork generally, and turning especially. This would have been a perfect application for Cole jaws!;)

John Hart
08-08-2010, 8:49 AM
On that nub problem, Josh. You have several options. Like James pointed out, a dremel works pretty good. There is also a similar method where you cut the foot, cut a ring that provides some separation, then take a small disc sander to sand the nub off and create a bowl in the center....staying within the line of the ring you cut.

Then there is also the method of jamming your bowl to the headstock so you don't need the tail stock engaged...so you can turn that foot completely.

You're coming along fine. ;):)