PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage pegs

Jeff Nicol
08-07-2010, 8:30 PM
Well I finally finished these little gems. I have been putting them off for a couple months now. Just did not feel very in tune for fussy projects, but I needed to get them out of the way for bigger stuff. Used some horn, ebony, purple heart, padauk, and corian with brass for the pegs. I think they turned out O.K. she wanted 3 sets of 4 so here they are.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
08-07-2010, 8:51 PM
OK... another cute one. Or twelve! I don't play cribbage but if I did, I'd want to use those. Especially like the black ones...

Pete Jordan
08-07-2010, 8:53 PM
How did the steady rest hold up?

Those are very nice!

Peter Lamb
08-07-2010, 9:05 PM
Jeff,
It is abundtly clear, certainly to me at least, that there is nothing you cannot do more beautifully than the rest and that includes steady rests!
You are no doubt in Her good graces.
Peter
Sunny Bluffton SC

Mike Wenman
08-07-2010, 9:07 PM
Those are fantastic

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 9:14 PM
Pretty cool. Nice job matching the pieces within each set.

gary Zimmel
08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Now those are sweet little turnings.
Great work, as usual Jeff...

Ted Calver
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Jeff,
I'd have to put the magnifying attachment on my steady rest to do those. Nice job!!

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Jeff - I believe those are the first turned cribbage pegs I have seen on SMC! You did a great job with colors and matching the sets!

Did you have to add some weight to your mustard monster to compensate for the out-of-balance peg blanks? Bet that machine wanted to dance all over your shop! Man, bet it was scary!

Michael James
08-08-2010, 1:17 AM
Excellent job amigo, Im still working on one of a kind... cant imagine (yet) making 4 identical anythings... Nice to see you actually turning something again. :cool:
mj

Jeff Nicol
08-08-2010, 9:32 AM
When I was still on the job in the Heating and Air conditioning world fighting all the othe contractors to get my huge ducts and massive air handlers installed, we would play at lunch most every day. I love the competition and the luck involved in the game. I never even thought of turning custom pegs, but one day I was looking at a metal working site and some guys turn them out o steel, and other metals and adorn them with little jewels etc. These guys were getting $30- $40 for a set and they were not even close to the ones I made here. I think there could be a great market for them. The lady I made them for has a very ornate marble board that she wanted them for so I had to make them a little more than plain. Still have to turn a little box to keep them in, as the board only has a small hole for normal sized ones. She wanted them a bit taller so they were easy to get a hold of.

Thanks and glad I did something different for a change!

Have a great Sunday,

Jeff

James Combs
08-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I have played cribbage before but it has been a long time ago and I know the pens are fairly small but could you give us some details on the size (length, diameter, etc) for these just to refresh my memory??

Jeff Nicol
08-09-2010, 7:43 AM
I have played cribbage before but it has been a long time ago and I know the pens are fairly small but could you give us some details on the size (length, diameter, etc) for these just to refresh my memory??
James, These are about 2.5 inches tall and roughly all about 1/4" dia at there largest. The lady I made them for gave me the dimensions she wanted and I came up with the designs and combinations of materials. Most of the pegs that come with cribbage boards are plastic and break pretty easily, and like I said she bought a pretty classy board and wanted some pegs to compiment it. By these being taller than most it will be easier to get a hold of them to move them around the board.

Sorry I forgot the size of the little buggers!

Jeff

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 8:23 AM
Jeff, I missed this thread!!! Those are really neat! I don't play cribbage, but as others have noted, you did a fantastic job of replicating each style with consistency. Great work, and while I like the horn, the ebony are my favorite.

Alan Trout
08-09-2010, 9:25 AM
Jeff, those are really cool and great work.

Alan

James Combs
08-09-2010, 9:29 AM
James, These are about 2.5 inches tall and roughly all about 1/4" dia at there largest. The lady I made them for gave me the dimensions she wanted and I came up with the designs and combinations of materials. Most of the pegs that come with cribbage boards are plastic and break pretty easily, and like I said she bought a pretty classy board and wanted some pegs to compiment it. By these being taller than most it will be easier to get a hold of them to move them around the board.

Sorry I forgot the size of the little buggers!

Jeff

Thanks that gives a little better perspective.

Mike Spanbauer
08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Those are cool Jeff. I used to play Cribbage w/ my grandmother and still do w/ my mother when she visits.

Very well done!

mike