PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Low Angle Jack

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 12:07 AM
A couple of days ago UPS came by again.....and brought a nice size carton...inside beside the kitchen shears was this very special shiney thing...
It seems like some things are just special...it is hard to put your finger on it. The weight, the balance, the adjuster...it feels good in my hand...just to hold it.
When it hits the wood....woa! That is a plane...no lash and tissue shavings.I have owened many planes. I have had a chance to try some highly tuned classics....this is right up there in performance and right out of the box!
Here is the word you were all expecting , so let me not disappoint you..."DESIGN" Whoever designed this plane got out a clean piece of paper...it is original and has many advanced features....that actually work. Just when we thought all the worlds great planes were already designed along comes ...Veritas LA Jack! Worth every penny and then some....Rob Lee and the staff are to be commended...another big winner! I was this close (hold your fingers about a quarter of an inch apart) to buying another model, when Gene Collison, suggested that I get this one instead, I never thought having my arm twisted could feel so good! Thanks Gene! Tyler....for you as if you didn't know what the thing looked like???

Brad Olson
12-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Did you get the high angle blade? Have you tried it on curly maple at all?

Sorry for the questions, but as soon as I finish wiring and insulating my shop, this will be my next aquisition as I would really like a way to put a nice finish on CM since the planer has too much tear out.

Congrats on the aquisition, make sure you give it a good oiling and protect that baby from rust, she's a beaut!

I am extremely impressed with the LV line of new planes. All under $200 and extremely well designed. So much so, that I am going through and replacing all of my antiques with newer designs.

We'll, antiques are so nice to look at that I will keep a couple of favorites

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 12:49 AM
[QUOTE=Brad Olson]Did you get the high angle blade? Have you tried it on curly maple at all?

Brad, Strangly enough, I got a cal today from Lee Valley. It turns out that my plane and an entire shipment went out with the high angle blade! I ordered the optional ahigh angle...now I have 2 of these blades sand no low angle. They are shipping the other blade and I will send the other High angle backI have not tred it on figured maple....but I will

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 8:05 AM
Hey, good for you, Mark! Very encouraging comments. I've been eyeing that one up and may just go ahead and pull the trigger on it. :) Really glad to hear that the HA blade works so well. Thanks for the mini-review! :cool:

Richard Gillespie
12-09-2004, 8:26 AM
Mark, I also fell in love with both the LA LV Jack and Smoother when I received them. That's especially so for the Jack plane. With the low angle blade it makes a great shooting plane. It has the mass to plow through tough, hardwood end grain. I've used the plane to joint 30" boards for glue up.

I have two HA blades for the smoother and have placed an order for a HA blade for the Jack. I couldn't agree more with your statement about the quality of the design.

Brad, I also find that I reach for the Jack plane in place of many of the antiques I own. I've therefore, stopped buying antiques and have considred selling some of my collection.

Terry Hatfield
12-09-2004, 8:43 AM
Mark,

Cool!!! Tracking number search says FedEx is to deliver mine today. Can't wait to get it!!

t

Tyler Howell
12-09-2004, 9:15 AM
Great piece of hardware! This is the first plane I've picked up that fits my beefy hands. Tried both HA & LA blades on soft and hard woods and found it to be the "Jack Of All Planes."Love mine!:cool:

Tony Zaffuto
12-09-2004, 9:15 AM
Guys,

To those of you that have handled the competitor's products (meaning the LN low-angle jack and maybe even an original Stanley), what are the differences that truly standout? I could agree with the screw to keep the toe from bumping into the blade, but what are the other changes?

I happen to have a LN model and use it quite regularly. But I've read threads on other boards where some guys are actually selling their LN to buy the LV!

Jim Becker
12-09-2004, 9:25 AM
It's likely next on my list...too many great reviews of that thing lately!!!

Maurice Ungaro
12-09-2004, 9:40 AM
Hey, good for you, Mark! Very encouraging comments. I've been eyeing that one up and may just go ahead and pull the trigger on it. :) Really glad to hear that the HA blade works so well. Thanks for the mini-review! :cool:
John....John....tsk...why don't you just sell every corded beast you own (except the TS, BS & DC), and just admit it - Life is just cooler with Neander tools!
;)
Maurice

Maurice Ungaro
12-09-2004, 9:46 AM
Mark,

That's wonderful! I've got the LV LA Jack, Scraper Plane & Medium Shoulder Plane on my wish list. Won't be for Christmas though, but there are future ocassions.

Maurice

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 9:47 AM
Tony.

I don't have the LN Jack, so I can't really compare. The features that are diferent are 1. the screw knob to limit the throat adjustment. 2. The set screws to limit lateral swing of the blade. 3. the lateral adjuster and depth screw in one control like a Norris. The blade is thicker than even the LN (I think)....I own the LN 164 and it is great too, Not the same feel of course. If you already have the LN it is probably fine!

Hoa Dinh
12-09-2004, 3:09 PM
Just for those of you who are thinking about getting both the LA jack and the LA smoother from LV, the current versions of them have different blade widths. In the work is another version of the LA smoother that shares the same blade (2 1/4" wide) as as the current LA jack. The new one is a also heavier than the current.

I'm slowly (but as fast as I can sneak them around my SWMBO) replacing my "antique" Baileys with LV planes.

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 3:17 PM
John....John....tsk...why don't you just sell every corded beast you own (except the TS, BS & DC), and just admit it - Life is just cooler with Neander tools!
;)
Maurice

Don't know 'bout that, Maurice BUT, you definitely forgot another one on the "for sure" keep list: The W&H molder/planer! :) You'd still be hard-pressed for me to give up my DJ-20, as well! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 3:22 PM
John,

Your like me a powered neander...we are not religous about it just pick up what is right and go for it...if it has a cord ok! If you supply the juice....Come to think of it I klike your battery powered plane ! By the way Bosch beat you to it!:D

Jim Becker
12-09-2004, 3:23 PM
They are all tools!! And I love 'em all...tails or not.

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 5:14 PM
.....your battery powered plane ! By the way Bosch beat you to it!:D

'Ya knooooow....That's the story of my life; Day late and, due to inflation, a couple hundred bucks short! :( As it happens, a few years ago my ship came in and I was right on time! :) On time, but at the wrong port.... :mad: Ah, so it goes. Still got my family, my health (pretty much...), a roof over our heads and manage a few nice tools evey now and again, too. :) Can't complain too loud. Besides, nobody'd listen, anyhow! :D :) :cool:

Robert Tarr
12-09-2004, 5:53 PM
Let me know if you want to take the LN version for a test drive. I purchased an extra blade to grind to a high angle, but have not had the need to do that yet (that and I have a C&W 55 degree wooden smoother that beats just about everything into submission.) I think you will really like this plane (LN or LV)

Robert

Jim Becker
12-09-2004, 6:10 PM
Let me know if you want to take the LN version for a test drive. I purchased an extra blade to grind to a high angle, but have not had the need to do that yet (that and I have a C&W 55 degree wooden smoother that beats just about everything into submission.) I think you will really like this plane (LN or LV)
Thanks...I can already see that the Edison show is going to be, um...dangerous, both with me helping lift your "gloat" as well as in the pocketbook!!

Robert Tarr
12-09-2004, 6:36 PM
Well hopefully they will have a forklift to help with my "little" gloat. As for the LA planes, they really are nothing more than a very large LA Block Plane and I find myself using it as such more and more (still love my LN 140 though.) The bedding is so good with these planes that it takes some serious effort to get chatter. I have planed some curly and some light bird's eye maple with the standard blade and have not had a problem with tearout or chatter.

After all, you have that new fancy bench. Now you need a go to plane and I think the LN or LV is definately that (that completes my basic requirements for Neander type furniture work. The smoother, block, shoulder and I usually throw in the jointer plane, but I guess you could use that Mini-Max as a passible substitute)....couple bench hooks and a miter jack you could start to sound like Tyler :D

Have fun

Robert

Chris Padilla
12-09-2004, 6:53 PM
:( Mine's wrapped up under the tree...says "Do not open until X-Mas" :(

John Weber
12-09-2004, 7:43 PM
But I've read threads on other boards where some guys are actually selling their LN to buy the LV!

Now that is hard to believe, I would guess that those that feel the LN doesn't give excellent results don't know how to set up a plane. Just a thought, but I can produce as thin as shavings as anyone with mine, and likely 99% of the other planes out there. Maybe a Norris might do better, but that is a little different price league.

I think LV has improved a number of planes, but for anyone considering a low angle jack, the LN is a super plane as well. Simple, easy to adjust and can do many different tasks depending on the blade and set up. While it cost and little more and has some different features from the LV, it is typical of LN quality and a great entry level plane for someone looking to try a Lie-Nielsen plane.

I know guys on the forum like to jump on the band wagon. I have a LN #62 and have only touched a LV low angle jack, but I still strongly recommend the LN, in addition to a fabulous user, it's a beautiful plane.

John

Chris Padilla
12-09-2004, 8:02 PM
John,

I don't remember the details but a friend of mine also preferred the LV over the LN due to the LV being easier to adjust (or something like that). He is very deep into hand tools so I value and trust his opinion; I picked up the LV instead of the LN.

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 8:09 PM
Guys,

I don't think there is one SMC member that has anything negitive to say about LN planes...I have several and they are great! Like with cars , it depends whose driving... If I had the LN LA Jack I would be very happy and just make stuff...that what its all about...they are both great planes and we are splitting hairs, It is nice to see the great planes from Veritas...this is a good time for woodworking a few years ago , the choices were not as varied and the good ones much more $$$$

John Weber
12-09-2004, 8:17 PM
Mark, Chris, and others,

I consider you guys friends and nothing against LV, I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in thread. For a casual reader, it was looking like the LV was much better then the LN. I agree they are both very good planes are we as woodworkers are better for a little competition. Just trying to balance the playing field a bit. In the end it simply comes down to personal preference. I'm hoping for a LV shoulder under the tree myself.

Take Care - John

Maurice Ungaro
12-10-2004, 8:32 AM
I'm just glad to see friends get new stuff, especially around the holidays! It helps me lobby my bride when I desire some new tool (well, honey...this IS really the tool I NEED for that project you want me to accomplish - plus, ALL the guys that really know thier stuff are using it....).

Besides....she loves to spoil me.

Maurice

Ed Hardin
12-10-2004, 11:01 AM
My first purchase was a LA Smoother from LV. My second purchase was the medium rabbit plane. Slowly but surely, I am turning into a neander.

Gene Collison
12-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Mark,

As you know, I own a LN 62 as well. The LV LA jack is a special plane which you are finding out too. I know you will enjoy it as I am enjoying mine.:)

Gene

Tim Sproul
12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
And just so y'all know........Rob Lee has let it out that they're well on their way to introducing a longer LA plane....more in the #6 or #7 length and a #4 1/2 equivalent in LA form!

I really look forward to the wider and heavier LA smoother.....

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 12:29 PM
And just so y'all know........Rob Lee has let it out that they're well on their way to introducing a longer LA plane....more in the #6 or #7 length and a #4 1/2 equivalent in LA form!

I really look forward to the wider and heavier LA smoother.....

Hey Tim, any ETA on that? :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
12-10-2004, 1:14 PM
A couple of days ago UPS came by again.....and brought a nice size carton...inside beside the kitchen shears was this very special shiney thing...
It seems like some things are just special...it is hard to put your finger on it. The weight, the balance, the adjuster...it feels good in my hand...just to hold it.
STOP IT!

You're gonna make me cry! :( ;)

Mark Singer
12-10-2004, 1:22 PM
Hang in the Tom!

David Wheeler
12-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Mark,
I received my LV LA Jack last week as well. It also came with a HA blade which Rob replaced immediately. One note of comparision... I've reworked the HA blade with my shaptons and have it gleaming and scratch free. I too get nice shavings and am impressed with the plane. However, my #3 Clifton leaves me with the best surface of any plane I have (Shepherd, Knight, and HNT). I don't know why, but the Clifton #3 leaves a mirror finish w/o any flaw. Maybe it is the smaller blade; maybe it is a lower bedded angle... I don't know for sure. The LV Jack is close to the Clifton, though.
So far I've been using the LV to prepare the surface and then finish up with the Clifton and am pleased with the results.
-David

John Miliunas
12-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi David! Though I'm an old-timer at SMC, I'm a real green "newbie" to the Neander side. :o That notwithstanding, Welcome to the Creek! :) Don't know if you've done a whole lot of browsing around out here, but I think you'll find this to be a great bunch of folks, willing to share and always looking to learn! Loads of fun to be had and you'll find most all of us to be pretty civil (I said, "civil", not necessarily "sane"! :rolleyes: ) Anyhow, stop by often, stay long and we just LOVE pictures, so post all you can! :) :cool:

Tim Sproul
12-12-2004, 12:16 AM
maybe it is a lower bedded angle... I don't know for sure.

David,

Can you let us know the angles of the other planes you're comparing to? In my limited experience, I've found that the lowest angle plane that doesn't tear out gives the best surface....hence, if all the other planes are greater than 45 degrees and your Clifton #3 doesn't tear out, I don't find it surprising that gives the best surface in your opinion......to this end, I've had Steve make a 40 degree smoother for me....works wonders on more tame grain.

Mark Singer
12-12-2004, 12:45 AM
David, Tim ...I think the wood has a lot to do with it. The Veritas with the HA blade is cutting at 50 degrees...Thah is not like a york 50 which is actuall 75...because of the bevel. You are not really making a shaving it is more of a scraping that fractures at the cut...eliminating tear out in difficult woods. The Veritas with the LA blade shoul be very nice on end grain at just under 40deg ...set light. The Clifton is bedded at 45 which gives you an effective 70 deg relative to the wood. That is the ideal set up for most woods...

John Dingman
12-12-2004, 8:48 AM
I have had mine for a little while now and I used it to flatten the top of my work bench (project in progress) and I loved it. It can take some micro thin shavings right out of the box.

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/WB%20Project%208-13-2004%20001.jpg

John

Tim Sproul
12-12-2004, 10:41 AM
David, Tim ...I think the wood has a lot to do with it.
I agree......but given the same wood, the lowest angle of attack works best. If 45 degree cuts without tearout, it will leave a better surface than a plane at 60 degrees.

Thah is not like a york 50 which is actuall 75...because of the bevel.
I disagree.....york pitch bench planes are bevel down and the angle of attack is 50 degrees, not 75. You require a bevel on bench planes for clearance. Part of cutting "compresses" the wood and there is a requirement for a wee bit of space directly behind and underneath the cutting edge to permit fiber "springback." Otherwise, you get chatter. The bevel angle on bench planes determines the clearance angle. 35 degree bevel gives you 10 degrees clearance on a 45 degree bed. On this line of thinking, putting a backbevel on irons for LA bed planes is likely to be detrimental as the bed provides for only 12 (IIRC) degrees clearance already. A backbevel of 5 degrees would only give you 7 degrees clearance and from my readings (I've never actually tried this for myself), approximately 10 degrees clearance angle is required.

A Clifton #3 has 45 degree angle of attack.

It is always possible to reverse the iron in a bench plane to achieve higher angles of attack. I'm sure you can do this with wedged iron woodies....not quite sure about capironed metal planes...since I've removed all those from arsenal awhile ago.

Mark Singer
12-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Tim you are 100% correct ...I forgot the bevel was down...my math was good though:D

David Wheeler
12-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Mark,
Thanks for the welcome.
I should have said that my comments are related to walnut; a very tame wood, of course.

As Tim said, a BD plane angle is the bedding of the plane; so for the Clifton and Shepherd it is 45deg. The HA LV blade is 38deg plus the bedding at 12deg for 50deg (York pitch). I don't have the low angle prepared yet; but I would have predicted that the HA would leave a better surface; but maybe I'm mistaken on that.

I've got some work to do with the Knight 50deg smoother that I bought this summer. I've not spent too much time with it; primarily because I've found it so difficult to set; the wedge doesn't seem to fit well; either holds the blade too tightly and can't adjust; or too loosely and the blade want to move after it is set. I've got to spend some time with it.

The HNT smoother is bedded at 60 deg (Cabinet pitch). I find his plane much easier to set than the Knight; but again, the finish the Cliftion yields is superior. I was under the assumption that the higher the blade angle (up to a point) the better the finish. And since I only sand when I have to, I'm after the finish left by the smoother.

The Shepherd is very very close to the Clifton in finish, however. And I use it a lot. At this point I plan on using the LV LA Jack to setup my smoothers; but I don't think the Jack replaces them; but maybe it will on contankerous wood.
-David

Derek Cohen
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
The LV LA planes, both the Jack and the Smoother, are great tools. I think that we are going to discover an increasing number of bevel up planes coming onto the market, largely because the design is fundamentally better than a bevel down plane.

My article on these planes is now in the Wood Central article section for reference. Go to

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articles_461.shtml

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Derek, thanks...I read your article and was convinced! Them I ordered!

The LV LA planes, both the Jack and the Smoother, are great tools. I think that we are going to discover an increasing number of bevel up planes coming onto the market, largely because the design is fundamentally better than a bevel down plane.

My article on these planes is now in the Wood Central article section for reference. Go to

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articles_461.shtml

Regards from Perth

Derek