PDA

View Full Version : arbor wrench for a X-5 Uni

Greg Bender
08-07-2010, 4:33 PM
Wondering if somebody with an X-5 Unisaw could throw a set of calipers on there open end arbor wrench and tell me how thick it is.I did not get one when I bought my saw used and I want to change the arbor bearings and need to hold the arbor from the back side.Gonna try to grind down a thin hydraulic wrench but I want to see how close I can get.
Thanx,Greg

Jon Bonham
08-07-2010, 4:41 PM
You're going to want to be careful, hydraulic wrenches are super brittle and break easily. Hate to see you slam your hand into the saw top.

Greg Bender
08-07-2010, 4:52 PM
Jon,
needing a 7/8 ,thin wrench narrowed my choices.Believe me,I would rather use something more substantial but the space behind the washer is very narrow.
Greg

Jon Bonham
08-07-2010, 4:59 PM
I know what you're saying. Hydraulic line wrench is just not super stout so that they don't deform the soft aluminum hydraulic fittings. There's good thin wall wrenches out there. Wiha makes some. Craftsman makes some called tappet wrenches. I believe both Matco and Mac make them too. Believe me, I've had some bad experience trying to use those hydraulic line wrenches for more than they were intended. ;)

Kyle Iwamoto
08-07-2010, 7:37 PM
Just go to your dealer, and get a replacement wrench. It can't be THAT expensive. Grinding down a tool also could possibly temper or anneal it so it would be even more hazzardous to use......

Just my $0.02.

glenn bradley
08-07-2010, 8:00 PM
Perhaps a tappet wrench. That's what I got to replace my stamped arbor wrench. I picked up a single at Sears I think. They are a smidgen over .22"

Greg Bender
08-07-2010, 8:50 PM
Kyle,
I could not agree more but unfortunately my work schedule up to this weekend has been 12 hour days,7 days a week.I have not been able to get to the delta facility which is 45 miles from me.I ground down the wrench that I had and proceeded to find two barely tightened set screws,the arbor nut that was not very tight and a key that rolls a little in the keyway on the arbor shaft.I tapped the arbor shaft and it came out faster than I anticipated so now I need to get an exploded view so as to make sure I retrieved all the spacers,thrust rings,and they are put back in the right order.

Now all I have to figure out is which way is the best way to get the bearing that is closest to the motor.There is a ID C clip and I can't find my 90 degree pins for my c-clip pliers.Should you remove the threaded piece that is against the back side of the bearing.Thanx
Greg