PDA

View Full Version : venturing a prediction -Kenny, ur, uh, John K

Roger Chandler
08-07-2010, 3:31 PM
I was just thinking........and I might be willing to risk being wrong.......but it would not surprise me a bit that within 18 months from today, that Kenny Ro.......oh, er, uhmn, I mean John K. will graduate himself to a large variety premium lathe such as:

PM 3520b, or Oneway, or Robust ......... while his current lathe is indeed a nice one, I think the VORTEX has such a hold on him, he will want to explore the further reaches of its horizons, and that may call for something with larger capacity than he now has.....

What-d'ya-think? ;):cool::D

additional: Now John, don't try and tell me you haven't had it on your mind......especially since your show and the prospect of being Juried.....You might just NEED it anyway!

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 4:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if an upgrade cometh, but he doesn't seem to have any trouble cranking out beautiful stuff on that little Delta.

Andy Hoyt
08-07-2010, 6:47 PM
I'm smell something good

Karl Card
08-07-2010, 6:54 PM
get himself one of them big bad boys that you have to have a crane to set it in place... put a 1000 lb log on it and come off with a 3 lb vase....

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 7:29 PM
Capn Andy, you been in John Hart's lacquer? What you think our shy retiring JK gonna do with a jar of Hellman's, sides smear it on a ham sandwich.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if John started to think about an upgrade but I would be shocked if he actually did it! I mean - he just got his new Monster hollowing system and it was custom made for the little Delta! He ain't gonna walk away from that real soon!

Roger Chandler
08-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if John started to think about an upgrade but I would be shocked if he actually did it! I mean - he just got his new Monster hollowing system and it was custom made for the little Delta! He ain't gonna walk away from that real soon!

Steve,

Is the monster hollowing rig adjustable for different swing sizes in a lathe? I thought that the post that adjusts the height, might allow for maybe a 16" or so swing, but I may be wrong.

John K. is becoming quite accomplished, and I thought that in order to reach the upper eschelon, he might need more capacity......I know you can do a great deal on a smaller lathe, but some of the larger hollow forms[vases,etc] need a larger swing.

I admire his progress and the quality of what he is producing in such a short time frame, and well, just nudging him towards the edge of the vortex to gauge his reaction :D;):D

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 6:16 AM
Roger, you guys are relentless!!:D While I don't doubt that someday down the road, a bigger lathe is in my future, it will be quite a while. At the moment, the larger forms just really don't interest me much. About the only thing that intrigues me outside the capacity of my Delta is the large platter, particularly like the ones by Doug Fisher (http://www.douglasjfisher.com/index.html)

There are so many things I have not tried that are very workable on the Delta - and retirement is about 4 1/2 years away if my health holds.

Were I dreamin' (as your other thread contemplates) it would be an American Beauty. But, the practical side of me would not let me do that. The more likely upgrade would be to your lathe - the Griz 0698. But, I'm good for now!

Roger Chandler
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Roger, you guys are relentless!!:D While I don't doubt that someday down the road, a bigger lathe is in my future, it will be quite a while. At the moment, the larger forms just really don't interest me much. About the only thing that intrigues me outside the capacity of my Delta is the large platter, particularly like the ones by Doug Fisher (http://www.douglasjfisher.com/index.html)

There are so many things I have not tried that are very workable on the Delta - and retirement is about 4 1/2 years away if my health holds.

Were I dreamin' (as your other thread contemplates) it would be an American Beauty. But, the practical side of me would not let me do that. The more likely upgrade would be to your lathe - the Griz 0698. But, I'm good for now!

John,

You're always such a good sport! ;) Just FYI, I believe that at the beginning of 2011 that Grizzly is going to do a sizable price increase in the G0698. Let me tell ya, this one I have performs so well. I was in our local woodturners meeting yesterday, and we had an all day demo, which was done on the 3520b PM, and that lathe made more noise and had more vibration at speed than my G0698.

Our club president has a 3520b, and I have had a turning session on it as well, and boy, it is nice, but my Grizzly G0698 has the power, smooth performance and reverses, and has 3 phase output from a single phase input with the inverter. A really nice set up. I like the banjo on the PM 3520b a little more than mine, and it is larger, but that can be added as an aftermarket addition.

I was just thinking about how far you have progressed in such a short time, and you fire up the inspiration in other turners who have a lot to learn, such as myself. This forum has done me good in many ways, and well, it has shown me how to continue to empty my wallet :eek::eek::D but I am gaining in skill and equipment. I am just glad I don't have to try and invent the wheel all over again by myself, and that there are others who have traveled this pathway, and know where the pitfalls are, so I don't have to take a tumble on every new thing that comes along!

The American beauty is a fine lathe.........:D You would also enjoy the Grizzly!

Chris Stolicky
08-08-2010, 7:45 PM
I did notice in a recent post that the base of his Monster system was white...?

Roger Chandler
08-08-2010, 8:31 PM
I did notice in a recent post that the base of his Monster system was white...?

It might be able to grow along with him!? :D

John Keeton
08-08-2010, 8:35 PM
I did notice in a recent post that the base of his Monster system was white...?You guys have no fashion sense!! White goes with anything!:D;)

Roger Chandler
08-08-2010, 8:41 PM
You guys have no fashion sense!! White goes with anything!:D;)

Just keep talkin' John.....you might just talk yourself into a new suit, er, uh, I mean lathe :D:D

charlie knighton
08-08-2010, 10:22 PM
if you get a chance to see the instant gallery of national symposium, while there are some large pieces, the majority can be turned on jk's lathe. most can be displayed with room left over on an end table under a lamp. size is a design consideration, but jk's work stands out and i look forward to his next piece

you probably just need to water that dead tree a little more and be sure to put some tree spikes out this fall :D

Roger Chandler
08-09-2010, 7:38 AM
I'm just waiting to see the 2 foot hollow form, with the 18" pedestal, and the 2 foot finial that JK has in his future! :eek::cool::cool::cool:

He might be scouring the backwoods of Kentucky to find a suitable burl, or have one of his supplier on the lookout for another big leaf maple burl, or another claro wanut burl.

I think he has "Burls-R-Us" on speed dial!