PDA

View Full Version : Threaded lid vessel

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 2:44 PM
I came across a set of brand new Sorby threading tools last week for 75 bucks, and I've been itching to try them out. I didn't find hand chasing to be all that difficult, but I've only tried it on African blackwood which is a dream to turn.

The piece is maple burl and blackwood. It's 5.5 inches tall and 4 wide. The maple is finished with shellac and tung oil... The blackwood is finished with paste wax.

It has been claimed by my lovely wife for display on a sofa table I built a few years ago... High praise indeed!:D

Comments, critiques, and questions are always welcome.

Josh Bowman
08-07-2010, 3:06 PM
Wow, that looks nice. I really like the fact the top is threaded. Wonderful contrast. The local woodturners meeting had a guy demonstrate hand chasing. I'm wanting to try it. He felt the wood had to very hard also to hold the treads. Just for information, the guy that did the chasing, also had store bought tools but used homemade chasers that were made by simply splitting a bolt and using it as a "scraper" chaser. He attached the split bolt to a piece of steel that was mounted in a handle.

Richard Madden
08-07-2010, 3:11 PM
Very nice!! I like the lid/finial, different but neat. Threaded vessels and/or boxes show a skill and craftsmanship level that deserves appreciation. You have done a good job on this and it's your first. What's next?

Roger Chandler
08-07-2010, 3:14 PM
David,

I am going to have to buy me some new shades, because you are startin' to shine really bright! Lovely turning, and I do like the idea of a threaded top for a hollow form. It just speaks that this top belongs to this form, and it adds a lot of interest to the piece.

You finial [funnel ?] lid is an illusion that makes people want to open it up and look to see what is inside.....Maybe bell shape or trumpet shape would be a better description of it, but boy, that is a nice lid!

Very nice work indeed! :cool:

Mark Hubl
08-07-2010, 4:46 PM
Excellent! That piece is very nice. Love the threaded top. I like the finial. I purchased a set of chasers on sale a couple of weeks ago. Have not had a chance to pick up some "hard" wood to try them on. They work ok on PVC. Nice job. I am sure you will be chasing more.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-07-2010, 5:08 PM
used homemade chasers that were made by simply splitting a bolt and using it as a "scraper" chaser. He attached the split bolt to a piece of steel that was mounted in a handle.

What an awesome idea. Too bad I already bought a set, but have yet attempted to use it. Well, I take that back I tried long ago, and failed miserably. Minimum speed of the Jet mini I think is too high.... Or I need to try again and fail a few more times.....

charlie knighton
08-07-2010, 5:34 PM
very nice, great idea with spitting a bolt

Ken Glass
08-07-2010, 5:39 PM
David,
This is another wonderful piece you've created. I really like the top and being threaded adds another interesting characteristic to the piece. The design of the top really pulls you to the form. The burl in this is amazing. Great choice of woods and design. Seriously super work.

Scott Hackler
08-07-2010, 5:45 PM
Very nice David. I really like this one. That finial / topper is a great addition.

John Keeton
08-07-2010, 6:12 PM
David, not sure how I missed this earlier today!!! This is a fantastic piece! Wonderful form, and the burl is a perfect piece for it. The lid/finial is a work of art! Great lines, and it really sets off the piece.

Great work on the threading, too! Someday I will get up the guts to try that!

gary Zimmel
08-07-2010, 6:28 PM
Beautiful piece David. I understand why your wife has claimed this one.

Harvey Ghesser
08-07-2010, 6:32 PM
Beautiful work indeed!

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 7:23 PM
Dude I'm beginning to think you might be sandbagging us...you are really a pro of about 35 years. You been cranking them out and raising the bar each time, are you sure that you aren't kin to Ray Key or someone like that, and been exposed to this since you were knee high to an Elf.
Seriously David you've done an awesome job here, great work.

Dennis Ford
08-07-2010, 7:30 PM
Outstanding! I don't know what else to say.

Curt Fuller
08-07-2010, 9:44 PM
I like the idea of the threaded lid, but what really grabbed me was the horn shaped finial. I really like that. Very nice!

James Combs
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
One of the nicer pieces of wood that I have seen in a while. Love the entire look.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
David - I'm impressed!

Nice form, pretty wood but I really like your imaginative finial! It's a first and works quite well with the form! The fact that you threaded it makes it just that much more impressive!

You're on a roll! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

Michelle Rich
08-08-2010, 7:23 AM
Mrs. Keller is a superb judge of turnings. From the nifty lid lifter, the threading, the wood, and the skill of the turner, it all adds up to a grand vessel. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece.

Keith Burns
08-08-2010, 7:43 AM
David, excellent work. The threading is well done and the finial really sets it off.

John Hart
08-08-2010, 8:52 AM
An exceptional piece David. Lots of character in the wood, form, finish, and finial. Lots to look at and admire.

I am especially fond of the flared finial, although I worry about dust accumulation. But if you are able to keep it clean over time, I love it love love it. :)

David E Keller
08-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks everybody. I enjoyed turning this piece. The finial was an interesting idea I thought, but I'm sure that someone somewhere has done this type of top a thousand times... Not much new in wood turning.

John Hart, I hadn't thought about dust, but being that it was claimed by the boss, it is no longer my concern. In fact, I may be able to say something like,"If you're going to claim my turnings, the least you could do is keep them dust free!":eek: Can I stay in your shop for a little while?

Michael James
08-08-2010, 10:33 AM
David,
Very nice job all around. Chasing threads does not look difficult when done by a guy that knows what he's doing..way to "go for it"!:cool:
Is it my imagination or are you using more shellac than you used to??? I love that stuff, and when all things are equal, I go to the shellac just for the smell!;)
Hey, Jimmy Clewes was awesome yesterday, and he said he hoped you got what you were looking for when you studied with him. He went from 9-3 and had to stop because the store was closing. He wanted to go longer and said he was coming back. I will post later, but swamped this a.m. with matters of the "real world".
mj

Alan Trout
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Great form and very creative finial. Very well done.

Alan

John Hart
08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks everybody. I enjoyed turning this piece. The finial was an interesting idea I thought, but I'm sure that someone somewhere has done this type of top a thousand times... Not much new in wood turning.

John Hart, I hadn't thought about dust, but being that it was claimed by the boss, it is no longer my concern. In fact, I may be able to say something like,"If you're going to claim my turnings, the least you could do is keep them dust free!":eek: Can I stay in your shop for a little while?

:D:D:D Anytime David....My doghouse is your doghouse.;)