PDA

View Full Version : Homade Mini Jumbo Jaws

Jim Ketron
12-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I went to my good ole Buddy's house a while back and I spyed a set of jumbo jaws that he made! Ive been trying to find some aluminum to make me a set but no luck! So I PM'ed my ole Buddy and ask Him where did you get your aluminum at and He told me from an old cabinet door from work and I have enough to make another one if you want it and Thanks to My ole Buddy Sparky Paessler I now have a set:D
They are not hard to make and it shure beats paying $85 for a set!
Jim

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Jim

Glad to see you are putting that aluminum to good use! They look great! Now go turn some of that Maple.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
OK Jim...............Give..................How about step by step instructions?

Especially for CHEAP DUMMIES like ME! hehe

Bruce

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 8:11 AM
Very cool, Jim (& Sparky!). Yeah, how about some details. 'Course, byt the time I found someone to do that kind of work for me, I may just as easily go to the store and buy some. Probably cheaper, too! :rolleyes: Still, be neat to see/know the process. :cool:

Jim Becker
12-09-2004, 9:05 AM
'Nothin' like having your own personal machinist!! Good deal... :D

Sparky Paessler
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Jim

What are you using for the rubber Bumpers? Those look better than mine!

Sparky Paessler
12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
To see how I made mine see this thread about half way down. Cole Jaws (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6718)

Jim Ketron
12-09-2004, 5:33 PM
Thanks Men
Its not too hard to make, I used a jigsaw to cut the aluminum with I have a Jet Mini so my swing is only 10" so I cut mine 8 1/2" round. Then marked all my lines. The cut lines and the lines where the taped holes kinda looks like a pie with all lines equal total of 6 lines across the whole piece or total of 12 pies cut it into 4 equal parts then marked for the holes on my chuck (Talon) drilled the holes and countersinked them, then mounted it on the chuck then on the lathe in the closed position used one of my crappy skew chisels to smoothe the rough cuts made by the jigsaw. Then made a mark 1/4" from the edge turned on the lathe to make it all the way around the jaws,then made a mark 1/2" from the first and repeat the steps until you get down to the screws on the chuck. I used my skew to score each line while the lathe was on! now you have cross points with the scored lines and the lines that you marked! now drill your holes and tap for bolts!
Sparky I went to the Lowes In JC. they are solid rubber stoppers 3/8 on one end and 1/2 on the other! I used my pen blank holder to drill my hole in them. they are found in the (hard to find section) hardware. I think its about half way down the section in the bottom drawer. I had a hard time finding something that would work everything I found was too hard or too soft im glad I found them!
Jim

John Shuk
12-09-2004, 7:47 PM
They look awesome! Real nice job on them.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-09-2004, 8:54 PM
Great, now all I have to do is find some 1/4" Aluminum.

Thanks, Bruce