PDA

View Full Version : OT; Kudos to Comcast LONG

Randy Privett
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Last Wednesday evening, my house was hit by lightening. Through the strike, I lost three TV's, one computer, three TV cable boxes, a cable modem, wireless router, among other things. I called the electricians, they came out right away and started replacing the burnt wiring, outlets and checked out the whole house for problems. It blew every light bulb in the house along with a couple of lamps, so far. I called Comcast Thursday morning, they told me that they could come out August 13th, now this is the 5th. WOW, I couldn't live with that, seeing I make my living from the Internet and when it goes down, I'm done for awhile until it comes back up. I explained the situation to the lady and she said that she could turn in an emergency ticket on this and see what happened. Now this lady was in Michigan and I'm in Indiana. Anyway, around 1:00 PM, they called me and asked if I still need a service tech to come out, Duh... Of course I do. lady said they'd be out first thing in the morning. Next day, two guys came out, fixed the burnt cable, put new cable boxes and modem in. Got me up and running. The electricians finished Friday replacing all the items that were burnt up and I was good to go. I finished the installation of the router this morning and I'm back on the Internet. I've heard terrible stories about Comcast, I've been with them for 4 years, since they bought out Insight in Indiana and never had to deal with them. I am very please with their work. Good Job!

Randy

Randy

David DeCristoforo
08-07-2010, 4:18 PM
Well, it sounds to me like you missed a perfect opportunity to get a little vacation. That lightning strike may have been God's way of telling you to take a break. From what I hear, you been working way too hard lately...

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Randy - sorry to hear about the lightening strike! Had that happen to us a few years back but we did not suffer the amount of damage you did! Glad that you are back up and running!

I'm sure all you needed at this point in time was one more challenge! Hope all is going well!

Larry Frank
08-08-2010, 8:27 PM
I would be interested in what protection you had for the TV and computers. I have all of my electronics on very good surge protectors and/or UPS.

Did the lightning go through a surge protector?

Dan Hintz
08-08-2010, 8:41 PM
Larry,

Not even the biggest and best surge protectors can save you from a direct strike (which indeed sounds like what happened to Randy). If you're lucky enough to get an indirect strike from a couple hundred feet from the line, you may have some luck with a good protector.

Neal Clayton
08-09-2010, 1:04 AM
lucky you. last time i ordered comcast the guy showed up 5 hours late, had tattoos of motorcycles on his neck, and had changed his legal name to 'speed'. of course he left without either box that he brought with him in working condition.

needless to say, i now have uverse.

Dan Hintz
08-09-2010, 6:57 AM
I've been "stuck" with ComBlast on several occasions... despised every one of them, eventually (usually sooner rather than later).

Brian Elfert
08-09-2010, 7:47 AM
I wish I could get the local electric utility to come in a hurry. There is a branch on the power line that I reported over a week ago. The three conductors are touching, but they are insulated. I want the branch removed before we have a storm and my electric, cable, and telephone got out. It apparently isn't a priority because my power isn't out, yet.

Comcast has been good to me other than the rates.