PDA

View Full Version : Im spoiled

jared herbert
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
We are building a house in Northern Mn. I finally got some tongue and groove native cedar paneling from a local guy that I had been waiting on for several months. The wood was decent quality but he should have sharpened his planer knives as the paneling was a

little rough and had a couple of lines on the face of every piece. I put up one wall and sanded it with an orbital sander, time consuming and a less than perfect job. Anyway I was talking to a friend that works in the area, makes cabinets. He said just bring it on down and run it through his drum sander. So I loaded up about 500 bf of paneling and took it to his shop and ran it through his Powermatic 25 inch drum sander. Talk about a nice tool. It took paneling that was nothing special and turned it into some really nice paneling. It didnt take very long either, a couple of hours and the whole job was done. the dust collection on it was really good too, didnt even need to wear a mask while I was running it. That is one nice machine. Jared

Dan Karachio
08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
This is funny. I just commented on a drum sander in another post. They ARE fantastic tools. I was commenting that Grizzly has a new 15" for about $500. The PM must be a beast. Even though I am just a home shop person, I could see this as being one of my favorite and most handy power tools (a less expensive unit). Maybe some people do, but honestly, sanding is my least favorite thing (well, maybe painting), so if you can have good old power tools do the work, why not?

Terry Beadle
08-07-2010, 12:15 PM
You are spoiled ! But that's good.

If you had not been offered such a nice solution, you might have considered a smoother. It could clean up planing marks fairly quickly. A good scraper like a Stanley 80 would be useful too. You would have a good excuse to have some pizza and beer to offset the calories used to finish the paneling...hoot!

Karl Card
08-07-2010, 2:22 PM
I have a 16/32 performax but I tell ya if funds were no problem Id love to have a larger closed end drum sander or belt sander.

Maybe one day. I took and ran some red oak thru my drum sander and yes it makes for a wonderful piece of wood when finished. Nice and straight and not much muscle work involved at all.

alex grams
08-07-2010, 3:21 PM
I used to work in summers at my grandfather's cabinet shop when I was a kid. A full size sliding table saw, could rip up a 4x8 in no time flat. Also had a 35" 8hp belt sander that could fly through wood.

I didn't appreciate them then, but I sure do wish I had them now.

Chip Lindley
08-07-2010, 5:55 PM
A good scraper like a Stanley 80 would be useful too. You would have a good excuse to have some pizza and beer to offset the calories used to finish the paneling...hoot!

We are spoiled, but we also suffer from time constraints! SWMBO expects timely progress! Um...how long do you imagine it would take to hand-scrape 500bf of panelling? There's not enough Imo's Pizza in St. Louis for me to accomplish that job by hand!

Thank goodness for Cheap Bargains! (Yogi Berra-ism?) My amazing Woodmaster 3820 DDS fills the bill for jobs like this. Hand tools certainly have their place, but not on a scale of this magnitude.

Kevin Gregoire
08-07-2010, 8:08 PM
the more and more i see these types of posts about sanders i am really considering
getting one, nothing big so a small benchtop or something would work good but will
have to do some saving as i just got my grizzly BS and im broke for awhile.
who has the best sander for the buck? but also at a low cost!

eugene thomas
08-07-2010, 8:36 PM
i bought 3875 woodmaster sander year ago. Haven't used the belt sander since.

Van Huskey
08-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Nothing like a good drum or belt sander to make life EASY compared to the alternatives!