PDA

View Full Version : Klingspor Mac Mop

Chris Padilla
08-07-2010, 1:36 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Klingspor Mac Mop (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/38BEB0DA/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?lenSgDsc=6MACMOPMAC%20MOPS%20%26%20MOU NTING%20PLATES&qryType=GRPSG&group=PROCON)?

I have a few raised panel kitchen doors that need cleaned up and I'm not looking forward to dealing with the profiles and these babies look like just the ticket to use. I'm just not sure which one might work best for me.

I need to strip the clear coat (not sure what it is...maybe lacquer) that is peeling and in general, clean up the wood from years of kitchen grease and water vapor.

Thanks!

Perry Holbrook
08-07-2010, 7:13 AM
I have a 120 and 180 dual spindle set up that I use for all final sanding. I also use a brush head from Sand Rite with 150 on it. The Sand Rite has nylon brushes backing up the sandpaper. The Mac Mop has no brushes, therefore the 120 sands closer to 150 and the 180 gives 220 results.

The Sand Rite is more aggressive than the Mac due to the brushes. The key to both set ups is spindle speed. Sand Rite says 1100-1200 rpm is recommended. I have mine mounted on a dc motor so it is variable speed. The faster you run it the more it polishes rather than sands. I run the Mac Mop at a constant speed, around 1300 rpm.

Haven't used it for raised panels, but I would think it would do the job. I think the larger production sanders use brush heads for their final pass.

Perry

Mark Levitski
08-07-2010, 9:40 AM
We also have a Sandrite head on one end of one of our buffers. My wife uses it more than I do for her branch/twig free-form rustic furniture. It's loaded w/ 120 grit. Works very well. We tried the mac mop but it wore out too quickly for the money. Sandrite feeds more out as you need it. If you will continue to use a brush head, then it's definitely worth the expense. If you intend to use something solely for your door project and can justify and factor in the cost of the mac mop, then go for that.

Chris Padilla
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I have my Woodcraft grinder (5/8" arbor) that runs at 1725 rpm that I figured I would use but I could just go for the 1/4" arbor Mac Mop chucked in a drill and run it even slower. I have 5-6 doors to do....

Jim Tobias
08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Chris,
I was using something similar last night doing final sanding before glue up on a couple of ottoman bases. I have used these "sanding stars" from Klingspor in my drill press and occasionally in a corded drill to touch up a spot. I have found them to be very handy/useful especially on any countours. But, I use them on flat stuff as well.
I know you can get them in different sizes(widths) and you can get a longer mandrell and stack more than one to get additional hieght. I have a 3/8th mandrell and stack 2 "packs" on each.
See here: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/28E661C3/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?item=FS92000G&qtyA=0&phsO=N&desc=4%20X%2012%20X%201%20GOLD%20SANDING%20MOP%20R EFILLS-24PK&drpshp=N&alOrd=Y&iQty=.000&oQty=.000&initQty=1&assortParent=N&itemForSale=N&styleName=SEE%20LIST%20OF%20GRITS&fixD=&face=.00&gftc=&stck=N&prefS=&calledFrom=DS&ordInfo1=&ordInfo2=&ordInfo3=&ordMan1=N&ordMan2=N&ordMan3=N&persCode=&persReqd=&persLink= &shipRemaining=0&daysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0

Jim

Chris Padilla
08-07-2010, 9:27 PM
Jim,

Thanks for directing me towards this: SOLD! My DP is variable speed so I can run it at an ideal rotation. Great!

Chris Padilla
08-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Jim,

I have some questions. It looks like your order a "24-pack". Is each strip considered 1 and you stack the other 23 on top of it to make your star that is ~2-3" high? Now I'm wondering what grit I should get...I probably only want one...maybe 120....

Jim Tobias
08-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Chris,
Yes, one pack has 24 strips and you put them on the mandrell as follows:http://www.woodworkingshop.com/001c/html/pdf/The%20Sanding%20Mop.pdf
In case this link does not work, if you go to the "sanding star "
page at Klingspor, there is a PDF that explains how to assemble them.
I think starting wiht 120 grit is a good idea, but I will tell you that I like them and use them so much, that I have 100, 120, 180, 220, 320.
You can use them on some exotics and it gets them so smooth, you won't think you need a finish. You do ,of course, for protection.

Jim

Perry Holbrook
08-08-2010, 7:07 AM
Those "stars" need to be broken in before they are used. I just take a scrap piece of wood and "sand" it pressing pretty hard to wrinkle up the paper.

Perry

Joe Kaufman
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Before you start, be sure to clean the acculimated grease off the surface with TSP or something. I wanted to remove walnut stain from oak cabinets but didn't find that the Klingspore Sand Mop would get into the corners of the raised panel contours. Chemial stripping didn't help much. Haven't tried the Mac Mop.

Joe

Chris Padilla
08-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Hmmmm, Sand Mop or Mac Mop??

Chris Padilla
08-11-2010, 1:18 PM
Okay, I order a Sand Mop AND Mac Mop. Both are 80-grit. I'll report back my results...just got an email from Klingspor that they shipped.

Paul Johnstone
12-28-2010, 4:09 PM
Okay, I order a Sand Mop AND Mac Mop. Both are 80-grit. I'll report back my results...just got an email from Klingspor that they shipped.

And the results were? :) I am curious if you have time for an update.