PDA

View Full Version : KY Creeker JD Visits KY Creeker JK

James Combs
08-06-2010, 9:51 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting with the "world" famous Kenny Rodgers...err ahh I mean John Keaton today.:D We traded some wood. I snookered him, I gave him one piece of walnut burl and I stole two boxes of bowl blanks, pen blanks and other misc. goodies.:eek: He had them mislabeled as fire wood and I didn't tell him any different. I mean what else can you expect form someone that waters a dead trees for 2 hours a day.:eek: More about that in a minute.

After we "swapped" wood John gave me tour of his shop and wood inventory. (I am pretty sure he keeps that Mike guy back east in business.):rolleyes: I never saw so many burls, blanks, and boards.:eek: We didn't keep that much inventory when I worked at MASCO's Quality Cabinets plant.:D

157627 157626

After the shop tour he showed me around the Ponderosa... I ah... mean his... place...yeah his place.;) We check out his barn upon a hill in the back 40 and would you believe it he has more wood there then in his shop.:rolleyes: After I picked my jaw up off the barn floor we got back on in his run-about...oh didn't I mention the personnel carrier he that he gets around the Ponder... I mean place on. Anyway we headed back toward the house and he tells me he has to stop and attend some tree watering. Well we pulled up to this grove of trees next to his patio and what do I see,:confused: he is watering a dead tee:eek: That's right, best I could tell it was deader then...well you know DEAD. He proceeded move a runing water hose from it to the LIVE tree beside the DEAD tree. (I could tell it was alive because of it's green leaves) He said he thought first one was alive because it was still springy.:confused: Two identical trees one on each side at least had leaves.:rolleyes: John may be an ace no. 1 turner but tree husbandry person... well you make up your own mind.

Seriously though John has a great shop and a great home. I got a tour of the house he built as well and met his lovely wife. Sorry John my aging memory has lost her name.:o John thanks for a great visit and the fire wood.:D Oh and thanks for the boat anchors too... that's another story for another time.;)

Matt Ranum
08-06-2010, 9:57 PM
Sounds like a great visit and an education into John's forestry techniques.;)

John Hart
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I think I understand. He likes the tree to be dead. He just wants it to be bigger.;)

Nice write-up.:)

David DeCristoforo
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
OK... Now I know for sure that JK does not turn all that stuff he posts on here. His shop is way too clean for any work to be getting done in there. Now I'm pretty convinced that he really is Kenny Rogers pretending to be a woodworking lawyer (or is that a law practicing woodworker?). And don't try to wriggle out of it with that old "Oh, I just cleaned my shop" bit....

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like a great visit.

Maybe JK is just trying to keep that wood from splitting before he gets a chance to turn it.:D

Mark Hubl
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Couple of fine lookin southern gentlemen. Nice shop, way too clean, can anybody say haircut. Keaton looks like he is going a little Woodstock!

Michael James
08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Mr Keeton, I am impressed. Im a city boy and all my stuff is mobile in the garage. Sunday night, it all gets put away and the car goes in - orders from headquarters! Lil missie offered to lock me out in the shed thats about 10x10, so getting creative seemed like the better alternative. Ok, yeah....I've got shop envy.

Hope you guys had a great time!
mj

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Congrats James!

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great visit! Thanks for the photos!

gary Zimmel
08-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Another fine Creeker visit. Congrats guys..

Jake Helmboldt
08-07-2010, 12:22 AM
OK... Now I know for sure that JK does not turn all that stuff he posts on here. His shop is way too clean for any work to be getting done in there. Now I'm pretty convinced that he really is Kenny Rogers pretending to be a woodworking lawyer (or is that a law practicing woodworker?). And don't try to wriggle out of it with that old "Oh, I just cleaned my shop" bit....

Ha! You beat me to the punch; my thoughts exactly. Keeton has been exposed.;)

brian watts
08-07-2010, 5:09 AM
Looks like a great visit.

Rex Guinn
08-07-2010, 6:08 AM
John;
What is that fold down wooden thing for. So you don't break the window when something comes off the lathe?

Jeff Nicol
08-07-2010, 6:50 AM
Well I am envious that you got to meet the legend of county mus....errr ahhh...woodturning and his small and tidy shop. SMALL AND TIDY!!! Holy moly that thing is clean enough to eat off the floor and has enough head room for Shaq to hang out and do some wood turning! Might have to raise the bench a few feet, but that would be a site to see!

As I digress I hope to travel to KY to see the man before I die and see the woodworkers eden he has created for himself! Glad a good time was had and the internal workings of Mr. Keeton have been exposed a bit for all of us who live vicariously through his skills and attention to detail.

If I had that much hair I would flaunt it too! Can't you just see him on the cover of romance novel?

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

John Keeton
08-07-2010, 7:05 AM
JD, I really enjoyed the visit!! But I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to teach you the fine art of tree hybridization! You obviously missed the fact that you were treated to a sneak peek of the new "leafless tree" that I am working on. Just think of the market - no leaves to rake, don't have to worry about too much shade of the wife's flowers...." You scoff, but just wait 'till this thing hits the market!!:D:D

The part JD didn't tell you is that he brought over a couple of the beautiful bowls he has recently turned. They are barely visible in the left corner of the second pic. The cherry NE bowl is really nice! Not bad for a retired engineer type!;) He probably used a CAD drawing to layout the form!:p

We traded some wood. I snookered him, I gave him one piece of walnut burl and I stole two boxes of bowl blanks, pen blanks and other misc. goodies.:eek: He had them mislabeled as fire wood and I didn't tell him any different.And, JD, I know you think you got the best of the wood swap, but we will just let the rest of the creekers decide - THIS is what I got in the swap!
By the way, thanks for gettin' all those cutoffs and wood scraps out of my shop!;)

Rex, the "fold down wooden thing" is a table from back in the old days when I actually built furniture! Faint memories, for sure!

And, Mark, you picked up on the "Steve Schlumpf" influenced hair style! I have about a 4 month start on "letting my hair down." Thought I better do it while I still have some!

Actually, it was this posting that encouraged me most! So, it is William Hutchinson's fault!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/John-allman.gif

Cathy Schaewe
08-07-2010, 8:10 AM
LOL!!!
Literally!
:D :D :D :D :D

A couple of things. I can't wait to read the romance novel that will have the above picture as its cover. I assume Belinda is writing it?!?! :eek:

And, if Keeton's hairstyle is based on Steve Schlumpf's, I think we need a new avatar picture of Mr. Schlumpf that is a more accurate portrayal. (Mr. Hutchinson, where are you?)

Or, I guess I can wait until Schlumpfstock ....:D

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 9:16 AM
Cool stuff, congrats on the visit to you both. Ken...John you should work on developing a tree that falls down when it reaches optimum turning size.:rolleyes:

Ken Glass
08-07-2010, 9:58 AM
James,
Sounds like a great encounter between the two of you. There is nothing like a Creeker meet and come together. It is always a joy to meet another with the same passions. I have a Creeker encounter from last nights Art show, but its for another time and post when I get the pictures back.

John & Tom,
In addition to the tree with no leaves and then it falling down when it reaches it optimal turning diameter, it should have already reached prime spalting while still standing, and thus stop spalting and not rot when it hits the ground.

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM
James,
Sounds like a great encounter between the two of you. There is nothing like a Creeker meet and come together. It is always a joy to meet another with the same passions. I have a Creeker encounter from last nights Art show, but its for another time and post when I get the pictures back.

John & Tom,
In addition to the tree with no leaves and then it falling down when it reaches it optimal turning diameter, it should have already reached prime spalting while still standing, and thus stop spalting and not rot when it hits the ground.

keerect that'll work too.

William Hutchinson
08-07-2010, 3:07 PM
And, if Keeton's hairstyle is based on Steve Schlumpf's, I think we need a new avatar picture of Mr. Schlumpf that is a more accurate portrayal. (Mr. Hutchinson, where are you?)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/steve-schlumpf.gif

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/creeker-visit-obama.gif

Roger Chandler
08-07-2010, 3:23 PM
Help, quick, somebody....

I can't find my hip boots and shovel, and its really gettin' deep in here :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

John W Dixon
08-07-2010, 3:47 PM
That pic of Steve on Dog the Bounty Hunter is freakin me out!! Seriously, glad you guys had a good time. Sounds like fun.

John

John Keeton
08-07-2010, 4:39 PM
And, if Keeton's hairstyle is based on Steve Schlumpf's....:DJust wanted to let all of you know the truth on Schlumpf!! He would be the good lookin' guy on the left!:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=132607&thumb=1&d=1258125742 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=132607&d=1258125742)

In fact, he IS the motivation behind my lengthening hair. We talked about it a few months ago, and I got the "go ahead" from Ms. Keeton! That was, of course, a prerequisite!;):D

Karl Card
08-07-2010, 4:46 PM
wow,,,, nice shop.... you must have two of them... one to show and one to work in..lol

charlie knighton
08-07-2010, 5:30 PM
peek of the new "leafless tree" that I am working on

what sizes do they come in, any flavors mr johnson

i see why his shop is so clean, he is busy with Cher, but i did not see any spider webs

:D

David DeCristoforo
08-07-2010, 5:53 PM
"... he IS the motivation behind my lengthening hair..."

You got some catchin' up to do there JK! Steve looks so "straight" in his avatar photo... whoever would have guessed he was a "retro hippie"?

John Keeton
08-07-2010, 6:06 PM
wow,,,, nice shop.... you must have two of them... one to show and one to work in..lolKarl, just have one! Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117074&page=6) is my shop tour thread from last summer - notice the absence of a lathe!!:D

brian watts
08-07-2010, 7:08 PM
WOW ,, your shop is what i dream of to have one day.DREAM i say.....

Roger Chandler
08-07-2010, 7:39 PM
Karl, just have one! Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117074&page=6) is my shop tour thread from last summer - notice the absence of a lathe!!:D

no wonder JD called it the Ponderosa!