PDA

View Full Version : Festool Track & router experiences & advice

Ruperto Mendiones
08-06-2010, 7:31 PM
I am a relatively new user of the Festool track saw and the OF 1400 router.

Festool claims the track is stable enough to make use of clamps optional. Using the saw, I have found this is true. However using the router guide on the track and the router I have had the cut wander perpendicular [sideways] to the track. However, when the track can be firmly anchored it is a wonderful system.
Has anyone else experienced wandering track and can they share how to prevent it?

Also is it true that both the vertical and horizontal adjustments on the router are in tenths of a mm? Does one turn of the screw equal 1 mm adjustment?

Ruperto

Jamie Buxton
08-06-2010, 7:52 PM
Yes, the track generally stays put when you're using the saw, because the saw isn't trying to push the track sideways. However, the router does push the track sideways. You really do have to clamp it down for router use. You can buy slick clamps from Festool that slide into the channel on the underside of the track, and leave the top completely open for the router to slide along. If you don't need to have the entire top open, you can just use any woodworking clamps to hold it to the workpiece.

Jeff Monson
08-06-2010, 8:01 PM
+1 on Jamies comment, I would not use the rail without clamps when routing. I almost always clamp the far end when sawing also, I've had mine move when ripping longer runs. Enjoy the tools, they are great.

Jon Bonham
08-06-2010, 8:12 PM
Router=momentum moving horizontally
Saw=momentum moving vertically

Justin Bukoski
08-06-2010, 8:14 PM
You spent the $$ on the Festool tools, spend a little more on the clamps! Well worth it.

Jim Becker
08-06-2010, 8:15 PM
When you think about what happens with a router cutter is biting into the wood and being "forced" along it's path, it's not hard to understand that clamping your guide rail will likely be a good idea. There is a lot more going on with a router than with the saw in that respect. While I only rarely clamp when using my saw, I always clamp when using either of my Festool routers with the guide rail.

Mr. Bonham's succinct comment previous to this one is spot on!

Dan Karachio
08-06-2010, 9:45 PM
I would absolutely never use a Festool router without clamping the rail. However, I have to say that unless I am cutting dados across unmanageably long pieces, then a dado blade on the table saw beats the Festool router on the track every time. I have an MFT/3 and I still say this.

Brice Burrell
08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
...Also is it true that both the vertical and horizontal adjustments on the router are in tenths of a mm? Does one turn of the screw equal 1 mm adjustment?

Ruperto

Yes, you got it right.

Rick Christopherson
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Here is an image from the manual that helps explain why the rail gets pulled sideways.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/graphics/OF1400-12-lo.jpg

Also is it true that both the vertical and horizontal adjustments on the router are in tenths of a mm? Does one turn of the screw equal 1 mm adjustment?Yes, this is correct. This information is covered in the Supplemental Owner's Manual. You can download one for both the OF1400 and TS55 at http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/

Ruperto Mendiones
08-07-2010, 2:03 AM
Rick
That's a great diagram and explanation. I violated the cardinal rule of woodworking 101--always use TWO clamps.

Ruperto