PDA

View Full Version : A little lathe gloat!

Alan Trout
08-06-2010, 7:13 PM
Well I need another lathe like I need a hole in the head This makes number 4, but the deal was to good to pass up. This is a 16" variable speed Woodfast short bed with outboard turning platform. It is in very good condition. It came with a stronghold and a nova chuck. Also came with both sets of cole jaws for the stronghold and one set for the Nova, has a Glaser 5/8 bowl gouge with a lot of life left along with a bunch of Henry Taylor, Hamlet, and other miscellaneous homemade hook and hollowing tools. Plus a bunch of tool rest etc. Also a few hand planes that they did not have any use for. Not a bad deal for $700. :D I do a little teaching to beginners and figure this will make a nice little lathe for that.

Thanks

Alan

David DeCristoforo
08-06-2010, 7:26 PM
Oh yeah... that'll be a "nice little lathe" for the "beginners"...

Jake Helmboldt
08-06-2010, 7:27 PM
Major suck factor there Mr. Trout.;)

I didn't know there was such a thing as that Woodfast short bed. That would be a nice little compact setup.

Dennis Ford
08-06-2010, 7:50 PM
That is a serious gloat! Congrats.

gary Zimmel
08-06-2010, 7:55 PM
Sweet gloat Alan. One more congrats...

John Hart
08-06-2010, 8:28 PM
Holy smokes. Alan...I...I just don't know what to say. Wow.

John Keeton
08-06-2010, 8:46 PM
How come that wasn't around when I was looking to upgrade!!! Congrats! Super buy. There is $700 worth of accessories!

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 8:51 PM
Gee Whiz,

Some guys just step in it without trying! :D Great score, especially since you are mentoring others! What a match..... a lathe someone no longer wanted, and a person who needed it to help others.....

It just doesn't get much better! :cool:

Chris Haas
08-06-2010, 9:06 PM
congrats, craigslist?

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 9:07 PM
You suck.:D

Not a bad deal on the chucks and tools with a lathe thrown in for free.

Alan Trout
08-06-2010, 9:07 PM
What is so cool about this little lathe is that it does not take up much more space than a Mini yet has a nice swing. Plus all the extras such as tool rest etc. will work on my Nova DVR XP.

Yep, there is way more than $700 in accessory's. The OneWay Stronghold with the jaws it came with new would be over $500. There were several tools I would not mind having but would never buy. There were many of those that came with it.

It is my 17th wedding anniversary tomorrow, when I told my wife about the lathe with all the stuff she said I had to do it. She is a great lady. I hardly deserve her.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Trout
08-06-2010, 9:13 PM
I have known about the lathe for a couple of years. It was at a retirement center. They had no use for it but the gentleman that owned the lathe was very sick. The men that run the hobby shop said that they wanted for the owner to pass away before they sold it. When you move to the center you can bring your tools but when you die it is left to the hobby shop to do as they wish with the tools after your passing. They called and ask me early this week to see if I still wanted the lathe. I went out there Wednesday of this week and made the deal and picked it up today. A little morbid but I look at it as the gentleman would be happy to see it put to good use.

Alan

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 9:34 PM
What is so cool about this little lathe is that it does not take up much more space than a Mini yet has a nice swing. Plus all the extras such as tool rest etc. will work on my Nova DVR XP.

Yep, there is way more than $700 in accessory's. The OneWay Stronghold with the jaws it came with new would be over $500. There were several tools I would not mind having but would never buy. There were many of those that came with it.

It is my 17th wedding anniversary tomorrow, when I told my wife about the lathe with all the stuff she said I had to do it. She is a great lady. I hardly deserve her.

Thanks,

Alan

A good lathe..... a great bargain, and a great lady.....doesn't get any better! ;)

Josh Bowman
08-06-2010, 9:41 PM
Alan,
Great deal! Somebody will really enjoy learning on that.

Mark Hubl
08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Theif! :D No really a u sxxk! is in order.

Bob Hamilton
08-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow, that is a major gloat! That ECE Primus jointer plane runs over $200 US all by itself!

Bob

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 8:12 AM
A great gloat Alan, the story behind it ain't bad either. Giving new life to the old machine and new turners. Congratulations.

Jeff Nicol
08-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Alan, That is a beautiful lathe and I am happy that it has a new home in your shop! I would have to clean mine to get another anything in it so that won't be happening for a while!

You lucky dog, still $700 is $700 and not pocket change for most of us,

Jeff

Steve Kubien
08-07-2010, 1:50 PM
Best gloat I've seen in quite some time. That would be just about perfect for me and my needs.

Karl Card
08-07-2010, 2:01 PM
that is a good story. Nice to know that it is being used to teach also.
I always like to feel that what comes around goes around...

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Alan - a BIG Congrats on your new lathe! Sounds like you have plans to put it to good use and I'll bet the original owner is happy about that!

Have fun!

Jon Lanier
08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I hate you. :eek:

charlie knighton
08-08-2010, 1:08 AM
congratulations, my lathe is in my will :D

Alan Trout
08-08-2010, 3:12 PM
Well I got to do a little bit of turning today on the little Woodfast lathe. I am overall very impressed. I was worried about the 1HP DC motor not having enough HP but there are so many speed ranges keeping the torque where it was needed was not a problem at all. It seems to have about the same amount of power or torque as the Jet 1642 that I do some teaching on. But you do have more belt changes with the Woodfast. I was turning a piece of very dry mesquite about 13" in diameter into a platter. It is a really pretty bad piece of wood but was able to take nice heavy cuts with a 5/8 bowl gouge that I would expect to be able to take with a lathe of this size swing. However I have never been one to really be overly aggressive with my rough turning. The lathe is smooth, stable, and the tailstock and the banjo lock very securely.

I think I will change the belt as it is a little dry and if I do that I might as well change the spindle bearings. It is not that they are bad but if I have to remove the spindle I might as well put in new bearings and be done with it. I think this might end up as a complete clean up/restoration. Maybe even some new paint.

I am very satisfied and happy with the acquisition.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2010, 9:41 PM
Congrats Alan. Can't never have enough lathes.

Matt Hutchinson
08-09-2010, 9:54 PM
Nice deal! I am so jealous......

Hutch

P.S. Yes, you suck. :D

Neil Strong
08-10-2010, 7:36 AM
I think this might end up as a complete clean up/restoration. Maybe even some new paint.

And, you don't have to stick with that Machine Green colour. Nice lathes... I've had a few... but they are never going to be collectibles so no value in sticking with that original colour.

There are other options...:D

Jerry Rhoads
08-10-2010, 9:04 AM
Great story Alan
And a great score.
Someone above will be happy to see that lathe running again.

Jerry

Mike Wilkins
08-10-2010, 2:27 PM
I have that same lathe,and it is a real heavy duty workhorse. You got a real fine deal on that lathe, plus all the other goodies. Lucky bum.

Alan Trout
08-10-2010, 6:20 PM
This has been pretty exciting for me. Like I said before I think I got a fabulous deal and really liking the lathe. In the next week or so I am going to start pulling it down clean it up, replace belt and bearings and re-shoot it in a hammered finish paint. I actually like the green. I also have a couple of modifications I want to do for convenience of use such as nice lite mount and better remote switch but no other major mods. As I go through the process I will keep everyone up to date.

For me what is nice about having the second full size lathe is I like to tinker making tooling and accessories. Now I don't have to worry about not having a lathe to use when I am messing around doing those modifications. I have some ideas for my DVR XP that I have wanted to do for some time Now I can do those without worry.

Thanks,

Alan

John Shuk
08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
My buddy has that lathe and it is NICE! His is on a homemade stand and he got it second hand from a friend of his. Never a problem but I think he would like to have Electronic Variable Speed. But then again he says that it works great as it is.