PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Burl trim finish (heat tolerant )

Ken Masco
08-06-2010, 3:32 PM
I’m planning to replace the walnut burl trim on the dash board of my 1988 Mercedes 560 SL. I’ve had the car for 22 years and it’s in mint condition. However, the original walnut burl trim is chipping and warping/curling and pulling away from the dash. I’m planning to attach new walnut veneer to a thin brass substrate to provide a good warp free foundation in a vacuum bag and I think that will do the trick. The thickness of the substrate along with the thickness of the veneer is just right for the recess on the dash to make the veneer flush with the metal trim of the dash (lucky). My question is on finish. I want to duplicate the high gloss finish on the original burl. I live in Southern California so the interior of the car can get very hot in the California sun although I can’t say just how hot.

What type of high gloss clear top coat would withstand the heat? I have spray equipment and am thinking lacquer but someone mentioned an epoxy clear coat. I only want to do this once and plan to keep the car till the end of my time (25 years?) so a top coat that will last is important. Do any of you finishing experts have any experience with this challenge? Recommendations?

Jim Becker
08-06-2010, 8:05 PM
I don't know if they still have it, but Fuhr International had a heat resistant water borne finish a number of years ago.

Chris Moody
08-06-2010, 8:12 PM
Hi Ken. I used to be a furniture finisher/spray painter in a previous life. I usually used a polyester resin on walnut burl as it had a very high build, and it allowed plenty of room for blocking it flat, as the burl was very wavy. As for it standing up to the heat, I don't think that there would be a problem.

If I were doing it I would probably use a 2 part polyurethane automotive clear. The heat wouldn't bother it, and because it is more flexible, it would be less likely to craze or crack through expansion and contraction over the next 25 years.

In either case, I would seal the veneer with a 2 part sealer. I wouldn't recommend lacquer personally.

Chris.

Ken Masco
08-07-2010, 4:40 PM
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the advice is the 2 pt poly something I would get at an automotive store? I've never heard of it before.
Thanks again

Chris Moody
08-07-2010, 8:57 PM
Hi Ken, here in New Zealand shops who supply product to the panel beating and auto refinishing trades stock this stuff. The product I've used mostly is called 2K here.

It's made by these people: http://www.ppg.com/en/Pages/default.aspx

I see they also do a 2 part sealer for wood, though I've not used it before, as I haven't seen it here.