PDA

View Full Version : HF trio

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, in spite of the heat, I was able to produce a few little fun things. I'm enjoying experimenting with different wood combinations and lid styles. Here are a few for your consideration. Sizes vary from 5 to 6 1/2 inches tall and from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches wide. Finished with shellac and one coat of tung oil thus far.

In the first photo, from left to right, the first piece is camphor burl with maple burl collar and finial. There's actually a piece of camphor burl in the lid below the finial, but the color is not the same as the main body.:mad:

The middle piece is cherry from John Hart:D with African blackwood collar and finial. I took a few liberties with the way the finial attaches... Rather like a cork than the traditional lid form.

On the right, a piece of dunnowood from the bargain bin at Woodcraft. It's heavy and spalted, but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is. The lid and finial are African blackwood, and I attempted a bit of texturing on the surface of the lid. I like the idea of texturing better than my execution.:o

For Mr. Keeton, I've included tiny feet on two of the forms.:D The foot on the left in the third photo is a piece of wenge.

I have a favorite among the three, but I'm really interested in what you all think. What do you like? What do you hate? Why do you prefer one over the other? Let me have it... I think I can take it.

Dennis Ford
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM
All three are nice, you should be proud of them.
My favorite is the camphor burl, I like its shape more than the others.
The colors and contrast of the dunnowood piece are very nice but the form transition between HF and finial did not work for me.

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Gee David,

It is really hard to pick a favorite! The camphor has great color, the cherry is really nice, and the dunnowood? All have great form, and I really like all your finials!

The red color on the camphor makes it stand out.....the spalting on the dunnowood draws the eye, and the elegant form of the cherry begs to be held and looked over carefully.......huuummmm :confused:

I like the collar on the camphor, the smaller foot on the spalted and the camphor as well....

It IMHO would have to be a toss-up between the camphor and the dunnowood for form, camphor for color and well, you just done good, all the way around!

purdy, purdy, purdy!

John Hart
08-06-2010, 1:12 PM
Well...I have little doubt that the dunnowood is spalted cherry. I have a shop full of it. I could be wrong of course. Let me go check with my wife...she usually tells me when I'm wrong.;)

My favorite? my favorite finial is the one on the camphor. My favorite color combination is the Cherry/Blackwood. My favorite piece is the HF Trio.:)

Oh...and I really really really like that wenge foot.

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 1:33 PM
...The colors and contrast of the dunnowood piece are very nice but the form transition between HF and finial did not work for me.

Thanks for the feedback... That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The overfitting lid did not work for me either, but I wanted to see what you good people thought.

Gee David,

It is really hard to pick a favorite! The camphor has great color, the cherry is really nice, and the dunnowood? All have great form, and I really like all your finials!

The red color on the camphor makes it stand out.....the spalting on the dunnowood draws the eye, and the elegant form of the cherry begs to be held and looked over carefully.......huuummmm :confused:

I like the collar on the camphor, the smaller foot on the spalted and the camphor as well....

It IMHO would have to be a toss-up between the camphor and the dunnowood for form, camphor for color and well, you just done good, all the way around!

purdy, purdy, purdy!

Thank you sir!

Well...I have little doubt that the dunnowood is spalted cherry. I have a shop full of it. I could be wrong of course. Let me go check with my wife...she usually tells me when I'm wrong.;)

My favorite? my favorite finial is the one on the camphor. My favorite color combination is the Cherry/Blackwood. My favorite piece is the HF Trio.:)

Oh...and I really really really like that wenge foot.

Thanks John. I don't think you're right about the cherry, but go ahead and check with the boss.:D The wood is much, much heavier than cherry and much harder. Of course you can't tell that from the photo.

Why do you like the finial on the camphor piece better than the others? I'm truly interested in the 'why'.

John Hart
08-06-2010, 1:45 PM
Thanks John. I don't think you're right about the cherry, but go ahead and check with the boss.:D The wood is much, much heavier than cherry and much harder. Of course you can't tell that from the photo.

Why do you like the finial on the camphor piece better than the others? I'm truly interested in the 'why'.

I asked her if I was wrong. She said, "Yes..absolutely" So I guess that's that. I didn't tell her anything about the subject...but I'm pretty sure, that doesn't matter.

The finial? It was a toss-up between the dunno finial and the camphor finial, because I am attracted to the shape of a raindrop. The dunno finial appeared to have some trouble making the curve to the top...while the curve on the camphor piece seemed a bit smoother. That's why;):)

Tim Rinehart
08-06-2010, 2:12 PM
David,
I think by now you realize you did a great job on all three...and as with others, I'm definitely in the camphor camp...so to speak.

The color and contrast is great, so that earns points. The finial has a nice smooth shape to the onion, but I think it could have been a little lighter diameter just below the onion. Shorten the overall height of the finial on the camphor HF, thinking the 2/3 rule, in this case the HF 2/3 height of finial, and it should be perfection.

Great work...wish my finials were that good!

Cathy Schaewe
08-06-2010, 2:45 PM
I'm going to respectfully differ, whilst keeping in mind that I'm an absolute novice. I like the cherry, both because I really like cherry, and because I like the shape of it. The only problem I have with it is the transition (? is that the right word? ) from the bottom part of the finial to the upper part. For that reason, I like the finial on the camphor better.

However, my opinion is worth even less than you paid for it, as I have not been studying these things for long! :)

Mark Hubl
08-06-2010, 3:01 PM
Well, someone has been busy. I like them all. They are unique enough that comparison is difficult. I have looked a couple of times now and I think I like number 3 (spalted cherry, oh I forgot, not spalted cherry) the best. The camphor is second. I like dunnowood for it's shape. I hate to critique finials since my execution suxxs, but here goes. I think that you could use a little work on transition between the elements. Your onions need a little more support. And maybe a little V groove at the base of the top element. A little more curve on the top element also. I think the onion on the camphor piece has the nicest shape, the one on dunnowood is just a bit on the fat side, could be a little more curvey. And here is a real nit pick, but it came up in our meeting last month, the wenge foot has a pretty pronounced grain pattern, you may want to align it more parallel with the grain in the form.

Overall I like them, we will see what Steve and John K think. They have a good eye for these.

John Keeton
08-06-2010, 5:10 PM
David, some really nice work on all three of these - and in sweltering heat, as well!!!:eek: That alone gets you bonus points!!!

Surprise - I like the "no foot" look on the camphor form!:D

And, the camphor form gets my vote across the board. Beautiful wood, nice color combo, and it has the best finial, overall. However, the curve on the cherry/blackwood finial has the best slope coming up the neck.

On the camphor form, you also have lifted the finial with the base, and that adds to the overall impression of too much height. The finial, itself, could stand to be a little shorter, though.

I do agree on the upper neck of the finial and the tip. I like a little longer tip (or a lower embellishment), and I like the thinnest part of the neck to be a bit below the embellishment - not right under it. That way, I can have a sloping cove coming into the thinnest area, and have the onion bulb form a sloping, concave curve into the thinnest area. I prefer to not have very much "constant diameter" in the neck, such that it is comprised largely of slopes flowing into and out of a thin area.

However, this is from a guy that has probably turned less than 20 finials!! So, take it for what it is worth!

The wood on the dunno form is probably the nicest of the three IMO, though the camphor is a close second.

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 6:54 PM
... The finial has a nice smooth shape to the onion, but I think it could have been a little lighter diameter just below the onion. Shorten the overall height of the finial on the camphor HF, thinking the 2/3 rule, in this case the HF 2/3 height of finial, and it should be perfection...!

Thank you for the kind words and the critique. I wish I would have shortened the final a bit, and I like the idea of narrowing/lightening the area under the onion.

...I like the cherry, both because I really like cherry, and because I like the shape of it. The only problem I have with it is the transition (? is that the right word? ) from the bottom part of the finial to the upper part. For that reason, I like the finial on the camphor better...

I appreciate your opinion. I realize that all of us have slightly different tastes in turnings, and I'm interested in the details that others like and dislike. I agree with you about the transition on the finial on the cherry piece. I wish somebody would post the accepted nomenclature for finial parts somewhere on this forum... I find it really hard to discuss finials with people when I don't know what the individual parts are called.

...I think I like number 3 (spalted cherry, oh I forgot, not spalted cherry) the best. The camphor is second. I like dunnowood for it's shape. I hate to critique finials since my execution suxxs, but here goes. I think that you could use a little work on transition between the elements. Your onions need a little more support. And maybe a little V groove at the base of the top element. A little more curve on the top element also. I think the onion on the camphor piece has the nicest shape, the one on dunnowood is just a bit on the fat side, could be a little more curvey. And here is a real nit pick, but it came up in our meeting last month, the wenge foot has a pretty pronounced grain pattern, you may want to align it more parallel with the grain in the form...

Thanks for the feedback. I was in such a hurry to get the wenge foot glued on with the CA that I completely forgot to align the grain.:mad: It sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

I completely agree that I could use a little work on the transitions. I struggle with visualizing what looks good at the junctions between elements... I've considered plotting my plan of attack before turning, but I hate to spend time not turning to plan my time turning.

...the camphor form gets my vote across the board. Beautiful wood, nice color combo, and it has the best finial, overall. However, the curve on the cherry/blackwood finial has the best slope coming up the neck.

On the camphor form, you also have lifted the finial with the base, and that adds to the overall impression of too much height. The finial, itself, could stand to be a little shorter, though.

I do agree on the upper neck of the finial and the tip. I like a little longer tip (or a lower embellishment), and I like the thinnest part of the neck to be a bit below the embellishment - not right under it. That way, I can have a sloping cove coming into the thinnest area, and have the onion bulb form a sloping, concave curve into the thinnest area. I prefer to not have very much "constant diameter" in the neck, such that it is comprised largely of slopes flowing into and out of a thin area....

Thank you for the explanation. I'm going to try your suggestion to avoid the long straight shaft on the next one... I think I like it better the way you described.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and especially the critiques.

Michael James
08-06-2010, 7:10 PM
I like the shape of #1, and I think the finial in #2... but what do I know???
The figure in #3 is my choice... therefore I like them all the best!

Hey I'm going to my 1st meeting (no not AA) tomorrow here in Abq, and Jimmy Clewes is demoing...am I going to be able to turn like this tomorrow night?:cool:

Baxter Smith
08-06-2010, 9:18 PM
They are all nice David but since you asked for thoughts.... I like the shape of the camphor hf best because it has smoother curves from top to bottom. (around the middle) The finial above the onion tapers well but then is too straight for too long. The maple burl finial looks like it is a different color than the maple ring below it. You mentioned the camphor as being different but from the photo on my computer, it looks like the maple has the most variation.

I like the color combination in the cherry piece but the lower part of the onion looks too blunt (not enought taper) and the finial appears a bit tall.

The dunno wood is very pretty and my favorite of the woods but the onion appears a little low with not enough separation between onion and HF.

With a grand total of 3 HF's with finials under my belt, I am no better at critiquing than doing! :) A very nice variety and a great way to learn what shapes appeal the most to you!

David DeCristoforo
08-06-2010, 9:32 PM
Ya know... these are three really nice pieces. You ask for "input" and it is given willingly, positive or not so. And that's how it should be. We all need to welcome the opportunity to improve. I "love" every piece I work on right up until the point where it's "done". From then on, I hate it! That's one reason it's no nice to be able to sell your work. But the fact is, if you put this "trio" "out there", it would be seen for what it is. Three beautiful forms, all different and yet belonging together. Like siblings. I don't have a "favorite" because they just "look right" together. OK... I think the finial on the "dunno" wood looks a "bit fat around the belly". But it is a very slight "issue" and does not really detract from the whole.

Josh Bowman
08-06-2010, 9:37 PM
David, that's some beautiful grained wood. I really like how you put rim on to contrast and the overall form. I really couldn't offer any criticism except to make more.:)

David E Keller
08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I like the shape of #1, and I think the finial in #2... but what do I know???
The figure in #3 is my choice... therefore I like them all the best!

Hey I'm going to my 1st meeting (no not AA) tomorrow here in Abq, and Jimmy Clewes is demoing...am I going to be able to turn like this tomorrow night?:cool:

Thanks Michael. I enjoyed my time with Jimmy, but yours will be a different experience. He watched me turn for three days, but I rarely saw him do any turning(A painful experience for him I'm sure). I'd love to see him demo at some point. Being a very visual learner, I think it would be very helpful. We'll expect pictures and a full report when you return.

...I like the shape of the camphor hf best because it has smoother curves from top to bottom. (around the middle) The finial above the onion tapers well but then is too straight for too long. The maple burl finial looks like it is a different color than the maple ring below it. You mentioned the camphor as being different but from the photo on my computer, it looks like the maple has the most variation.

I like the color combination in the cherry piece but the lower part of the onion looks too blunt (not enought taper) and the finial appears a bit tall.

The dunno wood is very pretty and my favorite of the woods but the onion appears a little low with not enough separation between onion and HF...

Thanks Baxter. I agree that the maple burl pieces are different as well. The collar came out of a pendant blank I had and the finial was from a pen blank... Same source for both but likely from different burls.

Ya know... these are three really nice pieces. You ask for "input" and it is given willingly, positive or not so. And that's how it should be. We all need to welcome the opportunity to improve. I "love" every piece I work on right up until the point where it's "done". From then on, I hate it! That's one reason it's no nice to be able to sell your work. But the fact is, if you put this "trio" "out there", it would be seen for what it is. Three beautiful forms, all different and yet belonging together. Like siblings. I don't have a "favorite" because they just "look right" together. OK... I think the finial on the "dunno" wood looks a "bit fat around the belly". But it is a very slight "issue" and does not really detract from the whole.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit like that dunnowood finial being "a bit fat around the belly". I know people and their pets begin to resemble one another... Perhaps turners and their turnings do the same.

David, that's some beautiful grained wood. I really like how you put rim on to contrast and the overall form. I really couldn't offer any criticism except to make more.:)

Thanks Josh. I'm working on another one right now... Well, not right now because right now I'm typing.:D

Mark Hubl
08-06-2010, 10:17 PM
David,
Attack the finials like the day job. Some major procedures and some finesse. Your finials have three or four major elements. Think about this, get it roughed and draw some pencil marks. Top element, sexy curved neck, a little hip and a nice pair of heels. You can certainly add a little or take away. My biggest problem with finials has been "bone loss". Once I have shaved too much off I can't put it back. So, I try and go for the rough cut, rough cut, rough cut, clean it up. Doesn't always work for me for sure.

Michael James
08-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Next Meeting:
The next monthly club meeting will be Saturday, August 7,
9 a.m., at Woodworkers' Supply, east side of I-25, north of Alameda.
Featured Presentation:
Professional Presentation by Jimmy Clewes on colors and contemporary forms.

Ok, I've been here long enough to know: "no pics, it didn't happen". But remember, Im really new and therefore impressed fairly easily. In lieu of technical terms, my report will prolly be laced with alot of "OMG's", "unbelievable", this guy is awesome, etc etc.
Got the camera charged up and ready to go!:D

Richard Madden
08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
David,
I'm not very good at offering critique. Lord knows I have a hard enough time myself turning finials. I would ask, however, how do you like them? If you like the finished products, then enough said. If you don't like them, what would you change? When it comes to finials, what helps for me is to have pictures of pieces I like and then try to incorporate some of the elements from a couple different ones into mine. Cindy Drozda is one of the best with finials in my opinion so I will have pictures or DVD covers next to the lathe for reference. Things like a cove under the onion for lift, onion placement and size and overall proportions are things where having pictures handy can be helpful.

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2010, 12:11 AM
David - really nice work on all 3 of these forms!

Really like the camphor burl HF and will point out some personal observations on it instead of critiquing each piece.

Pretty wood and a pleasing form. I like how you kept the curve of the HF running through the collar and into the finial but feel the final transition (from collar to finial) could be enhanced by using a small cove. The bulb portion of the finial (the onion) looks like it is a nice size and leads into a taper - but the taper stops at the midpoint of the finial. I would prefer to see the taper continue from the 1/2 way mark to about 3/4 finial length and then end at that point with a very small bulb or arrow or however you like to top your finials.

Remember that everyone's tastes in finials vary and what appeals to me, may not appeal to anyone else. Play around with shape, proportions and details and find something that works well for you!

I love the rich color of the camphor burl and feel that should be the main focus of the turning. I do find that the different woods used for the collar, finial base and finial all compete with the camphor for attention.

You have your finishing down well - all forms look great!

Looking forward to seeing your next variations!

Have fun!

Tom Sherman
08-07-2010, 8:49 AM
David, I have reserved comment on these pieces till now so I could decide on what to comment. I have decided that my technical expertice is somewhat lacking. that said, I have a tendenancy to be drawn to the camphor burl it just seems to flow seamlessly. Finials is fussy work, and have been a thorn in my side on the few I have attempted, but I do like yours. I like different parts on all three of these, I prefer the onion on the camphor, the Spike on the cherry, and lift on the dunnowood. The spike on the camphor seems a bit long and thick, the onion on the cherry is a bit squatty, and the spike on the dunnowood appears short to me. Now keeping in mind what I said about TechEX, my opinion and a five dollar bill MIGHT buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. But finally I have to say I like them all, and would not be ashamed to have done them myself.

John W Dixon
08-07-2010, 10:34 AM
David first of all I would be proud to turn any one of these. I like them all and believe the camphor one stands out most to be. Probably because of the color.

Secondly let me say thanks for being confident enough to ask for critiques. After looking at your pictures and then reading all the comments I went back to look at the pictures and noticed things I didn't notice to begin with. This helps us all as turners to strive for the extras.

Thanks and I really enjoyed this whole thread.

John

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
David,
Attack the finials like the day job. Some major procedures and some finesse. Your finials have three or four major elements. Think about this, get it roughed and draw some pencil marks. Top element, sexy curved neck, a little hip and a nice pair of heels. You can certainly add a little or take away. My biggest problem with finials has been "bone loss". Once I have shaved too much off I can't put it back. So, I try and go for the rough cut, rough cut, rough cut, clean it up. Doesn't always work for me for sure.

Thanks Mark. You obviously haven't seen my typical patient... I haven't seen a sexy curved neck, little hip, or nice pair of heels in the office in a long time.:D

David,
I'm not very good at offering critique. Lord knows I have a hard enough time myself turning finials. I would ask, however, how do you like them? If you like the finished products, then enough said. If you don't like them, what would you change? When it comes to finials, what helps for me is to have pictures of pieces I like and then try to incorporate some of the elements from a couple different ones into mine. Cindy Drozda is one of the best with finials in my opinion so I will have pictures or DVD covers next to the lathe for reference. Things like a cove under the onion for lift, onion placement and size and overall proportions are things where having pictures handy can be helpful.

Thanks Richard. I haven't gone so far as to take photos with me into the shop, but I have started to pay more attention to the photos that I see on sites like this. I seem to have more trouble designing them than actually making them. I'll keep practicing until I find a style that I really like.

...Really like the camphor burl HF and will point out some personal observations on it instead of critiquing each piece.

Pretty wood and a pleasing form. I like how you kept the curve of the HF running through the collar and into the finial but feel the final transition (from collar to finial) could be enhanced by using a small cove. The bulb portion of the finial (the onion) looks like it is a nice size and leads into a taper - but the taper stops at the midpoint of the finial. I would prefer to see the taper continue from the 1/2 way mark to about 3/4 finial length and then end at that point with a very small bulb or arrow or however you like to top your finials... I love the rich color of the camphor burl and feel that should be the main focus of the turning. I do find that the different woods used for the collar, finial base and finial all compete with the camphor for attention...

Thanks Steve. I really respect you opinion, and I appreciate the feedback. I didn't intend for the different elements to be as conflicting as they seem to be... I was actually trying to tie the main form and finial together by using the same woods in each, but the end result was different than the picture in my head(As is often the case:mad:).

David, I have reserved comment on these pieces till now so I could decide on what to comment. I have decided that my technical expertice is somewhat lacking. that said, I have a tendenancy to be drawn to the camphor burl it just seems to flow seamlessly. Finials is fussy work, and have been a thorn in my side on the few I have attempted, but I do like yours. I like different parts on all three of these, I prefer the onion on the camphor, the Spike on the cherry, and lift on the dunnowood. The spike on the camphor seems a bit long and thick, the onion on the cherry is a bit squatty, and the spike on the dunnowood appears short to me. Now keeping in mind what I said about TechEX, my opinion and a five dollar bill MIGHT buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. But finally I have to say I like them all, and would not be ashamed to have done them myself.

Thanks Tom. The camphor is my favorite as well... The color in that wood is unbelievable, and the wonderful smell is a real treat. You can keep your $5 (and the starbucks dirty water:eek:), but I truly appreciate the feedback.:)

David E Keller
08-07-2010, 10:58 AM
David first of all I would be proud to turn any one of these. I like them all and believe the camphor one stands out most to be. Probably because of the color.

Secondly let me say thanks for being confident enough to ask for critiques. After looking at your pictures and then reading all the comments I went back to look at the pictures and noticed things I didn't notice to begin with. This helps us all as turners to strive for the extras.

Thanks and I really enjoyed this whole thread.

John

Thanks for your kind words. I'm really getting a kick out of this thread, too. I don't have a local turning club or even another local turner to bounce things off of, so this forum has been my turning club. For the $6 minimum dues to be a contributor, this is easily one of the best bargains to be had anywhere.

Ken Glass
08-07-2010, 2:13 PM
Dr. Keller,
Those are all three very nice pieces. The color combination's all compliment the pieces and your form is very good. I like the last on best. It does seem to look like Cherry to me, as well. Very well done!