PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a Hammer Drill

Lee Schierer
08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I was using my Skill 600 hammer drill last night and noticed a clicking sound as the drill turned. I took it apart and one tooth has broken off on an internal gear. It still works but I know it will die when the next tooth takes too much of a beating and also breaks. Doing a bit of searching I ran across a site selling a Bosch 11255VSR-RS 1-in SDS-plus Bulldog Xtreme and they include a free FREE 1-1/8-in Reciprocating Saw. I currently don't own a reciprocating saw, but there have been times it would have been nice to have one.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Bosch-Site/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/v1281088556021/dw_images/bosch/bshn11255vsr-rs/large/bshn11255vsr-rs.jpg

Any way is the Bosch 11255VSR-RS a good hammer drill for occasional hole drilling in masonry?

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-06-2010, 2:01 PM
I have a 26 year old half inch Milwaukee that just won't quit.
I've beat the day lights out of it too.

David Weaver
08-06-2010, 2:19 PM
I was using my Skill 600 hammer drill last night and noticed a clicking sound as the drill turned. I took it apart and one tooth has broken off on an internal gear. It still works but I know it will die when the next tooth takes too much of a beating and also breaks. Doing a bit of searching I ran across a site selling a Bosch 11255VSR-RS 1-in SDS-plus Bulldog Xtreme and they include a free FREE 1-1/8-in Reciprocating Saw. I currently don't own a reciprocating saw, but there have been times it would have been nice to have one.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Bosch-Site/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/v1281088556021/dw_images/bosch/bshn11255vsr-rs/large/bshn11255vsr-rs.jpg

Any way is the Bosch 11255VSR-RS a good hammer drill for occasional hole drilling in masonry?

I used an ancestor to that thing in 1998 or so to drill some of the anchoring holes in a warehouse of door storage in a cabinet factory (that doesn't sound like much, but door storage was probably 15,000 square feet of space).

It worked well enough. Not quick, but well. Part of the way through, went to something more like the 1236 style, which was faster IIRC.

The one I used was made in germany, though. Most of the bosch stuff I've found since has been made elsewhere, and it's visibly not as good of stuff. Can't imagine the story's a lot different on the internals.

But yes, for holes in masonry from time to time, it should be fine.

Jeff Monson
08-06-2010, 4:09 PM
Lee, I have a similar hammer drill to the one you have pictured, its been a great drill for me, Its a little noisey in hammer mode compared to a Milwaukee, but for the price I dont regret it a bit. I use it maybe once every couple months and have owned it for about 2 years. I have drilled all the way up to 1/2" holes with it.

Ken Garlock
08-06-2010, 4:28 PM
Good afternoon, Lee.

Several years ago I bought a refurbished Milwaukee rotary hammer from this authorized Milwaukee repair site. (http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-reconditioned-power-tools/milwaukee-reconditioned-power-tools,default,sc.html) While I am not a big user of it, it has always performed up to spec for me.

BTW, one should be careful to differentiate between a hammer drill, and a rotary hammer. They are not the same thing. That is a nice feature of the Milwaukee hammer drill, it includes two chucks, one for hammering with the SDS bits, and another chuck for the standard drill bits, and it comes in a metal carrying case to boot.

Dave Lehnert
08-06-2010, 5:25 PM
for occasional hole drilling in masonry?

What is Occasional? I use my Harbor Freight hammer drill for Occasional use (Once a year) and has lasted 10 years.

Joe Pelonio
08-06-2010, 5:50 PM
My hammer drill is DeWalt, and has been great over the last 6-8 years with fairly regular use, but heck, everyone needs a reciprocating saw!

I used mine this weekend for pruning some good sized branches, with a 9" demolition blade ($2.99). Worked great.

One thing though, the removable side handle for the left hand is a great feature on my hammer drill, does the Bosch have it?

Jerome Stanek
08-06-2010, 6:13 PM
My hammer drill is DeWalt, and has been great over the last 6-8 years with fairly regular use, but heck, everyone needs a reciprocating saw!

I used mine this weekend for pruning some good sized branches, with a 9" demolition blade ($2.99). Worked great.

One thing though, the removable side handle for the left hand is a great feature on my hammer drill, does the Bosch have it?

If you use a true sds style drill you will never go back to the Screamer drills. I have a Hilti te22, A Milwaukee usa one, and a Black and Decker Macho also the Bosch like the one pictured and they all work about the same. I also have a Porter Cable 1/2 hammer and a Milwaukee 1/2 inch screamer drills that I will only use as a drill not the hammer part.

John Mark Lane
08-06-2010, 8:14 PM
If you use a true sds style drill you will never go back to the Screamer drills. I have a Hilti te22, A Milwaukee usa one, and a Black and Decker Macho also the Bosch like the one pictured and they all work about the same. I also have a Porter Cable 1/2 hammer and a Milwaukee 1/2 inch screamer drills that I will only use as a drill not the hammer part.

Can someone help me out here -- what is an "sds type" vs a "screamer drill"?

FWIW, I have a Makita hammer drill I've had for over 20 years that is a beast. I also have a Milwaukee hammer drill that I bought when the Makita was in another state (long story), and it too is a beast. I don't know if they are "screamers" or not (I do have such information on...oh, well, never mind).

Ben Franz
08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I think he's using the "screamer" designation for hammer drills, which run at higher RPM and faster hammer rates (BPM). The effect is loud, annoying and not unlike a cat whose tail is under your foot. Roto-hammers are (usually) larger drills that rotate and beat slower than hammer drills. They hit harder and the bits are designed to drill larger holes much more efficiently. Roto-hammer bits used to have a spline drive shank. This evolved into SDS shank bits (don't remember exactly what the first S stands for - DS is drive system) and then further into SDS Max bits for larger sizes of bits and chisels, etc. Almost all tools are now SDS or SDS Max - spline drive is for sissies (ar, ar, ar ...). The cost of good 4-flute roto-hammer bits rivals that of the top table saw blades. I have several long bits I used to retrofit seismic hardware in California - average cost was $100+.

Scott T Smith
08-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I've had a Bosch Bulldog hammer drill for about 12 years and have been very pleased with it.