PDA

View Full Version : Dispatches from the Land of Jack Planes

Jonathan McCullough
08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Or, "Here's Johnny!"

This week's haul. A box o bits, some in better shape than others. I offered very little since it represents a huge amount of work. Still, I've been looking for a set and here it is, potentially. A D-7 rip saw in pretty good shape, I'd say about a 6 tpi. Some very nice Greenlee firmer gouges. They're massive and under a little corrosion the original tooling marks are still discernible. Good for making cigar store Indians. They're really that big. A steel ruler; unfortunately someone let part of it corrode a bit. Oh well, who needs the first inch on a 3-foot ruler anyhow? Finally, the first axe I've ever bought. I just cannot for the life of me banish that scene of Jack Nicholson coming through the bathroom door in The Shining every time I see an axe. Still, could have used it many times. This one needs a new handle, so I got it cheap.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/Jonathryn/boxobits.jpg

Jim Koepke
08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks like a great haul.

I have found so many differences in bits that my feeling is that it is hard to have too many.

Same with the gouges. I was using a big one on a stump a few days ago to make a place to sit in my out back.

jim

George Sanders
08-06-2010, 7:58 PM
That's a nice haul. I use electrolysis on my bits and they clean up nicely.

Jonathan McCullough
08-06-2010, 8:42 PM
I've had good luck with electrolysis too, but with a pile of iron this big, I've culled out some big bits and am soaking them in vinegar to see how well it works. Tomorrow I'll scrub with a brush or maybe a wire wheel--when it comes to corrosion there's no reason to mess around. Found an interesting method to clean out the threads on the very bitty tip from the Cornish Workshop: make a teeny dimple in soft pine with the bit in question, pull the bit out, put a little grinding compound in the dimple, then continue turning the screw. Cleans it up like nobody's business, apparently.

In my wanderings today I also saw two (2) TWO Stanley No. 2's. First time I'd seen one, let alone two. They were cute, but appeared to me to duplicate the practical function of a No. 9 1/2 block plane. Guy knew what they were unfortunately, and was charging to match.