PDA

View Full Version : steady rest question

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I welcome input from all....

I am thinking of making a shop-made steady rest, and my lathe has a swing of 18 inches. Is there a rule of thumb on the size of the circle as it relates to swing?

I probably will use plywood and inline skate rollers and if anyone knows of a good place to get the rollers, I would appreciate the information. Thanks!

Chris Haas
08-05-2010, 11:04 PM
i made one of plywood, and since i had plenty of material, i think i probably over engineered it, still, none the less, when i make my next, which is soon as i have aquired a new lathe with larger swing, i will be using the metal rings from mcmaster.com. it just seemed like the plywood didnt have enough horizontal strenghth. i would really think about using one of the metal flanges and buying a buddy a case of beer to weld it up. just my 2 cents.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 11:08 PM
i made one of plywood, and since i had plenty of material, i think i probably over engineered it, still, none the less, when i make my next, which is soon as i have aquired a new lathe with larger swing, i will be using the metal rings from mcmaster.com. it just seemed like the plywood didnt have enough horizontal strenghth. i would really think about using one of the metal flanges and buying a buddy a case of beer to weld it up. just my 2 cents.

Hey Chris,

Nice to hear from you! Are you still looking at one of the 18x47's? You know, that welding thing intriques me! I have been noticing welders as I go into stores, and it is tempting, but I don't have the space for what I have now, and then to get into metal working on top of wood working, well, I am trying to control myself..... but you know, I have this weakness for tools......... is there a "tools anonymous? :eek::D

John Keeton
08-06-2010, 5:24 AM
Roger, unless you just like the idea of making your own, Jeff Nicol makes a very nice steady!!:D That would leave you more time for turning, AND might help you avoid another addiction to metal working!

Mike Minto
08-06-2010, 5:48 AM
Roger, I got the wheels for mine on eBay, the bearings from a roller skate / skateboard site. It's not too space efficient - will get a redesign but I've used it on 4 or 5 forms as is. Here's a link to pics of mine - not to prety, but works well enough for me.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125146&highlight=shopmade+steady

Rex Guinn
08-06-2010, 8:20 AM
Roger;
Here are a couple, one I made and one big one.

Hope this helps.

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 8:29 AM
Roger;
Here are a couple, one I made and one big one.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Rex!

Looks like something I can build!

Mike Golka
08-06-2010, 8:38 AM
Roger as for diameter of the circle used it depends on what the maximum you want to turn is. In your case if you intend to use the full swing of your lathe then you need at least an 18" circle inside the wheels so the rest needs to be 18" plus twice the diameter of one of the wheels used. If the wheels are 2" then the ID of steadyrest needs to be 22". If you build one like the ones Rex showed then you will not be able to get the full swing due to the space taken up by the mount to the ways. Hope this helps.

Tom Lewis
08-06-2010, 8:56 AM
I got my wheels at a flea market. I would recomend a four wheel set up. That way you can use a laser if you want to.

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 9:21 AM
I got my wheels at a flea market. I would recomend a four wheel set up. That way you can use a laser if you want to.

Neat idea Tom, thanks!