PDA

View Full Version : slow activity on forum

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Is it just me, or over the last week does it seem that the amount of posts to this forum have been less than usual?

I attribute this in part to the terrible heat in the center part of the USA, [too hot to turn] and the fact that a number of folks may be traveling [vacations, etc.]

just wondering .....huuummmm ?

Seems as if the distance from Steve S. and John K's avatar photo have been the most talked about..... new turnings must be few as of late.... huummm...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Roger,

A lot of folks might be on vacation too!

The LOML has been gone for 4 weeks. She arrives back in a couple hours. We have a short vacation trip planned in a week.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Roger,

A lot of folks might be on vacation too!

The LOML has been gone for 4 weeks. She arrives back in a couple hours. We have a short vacation trip planned in a week.

Hi Ken,

that was one of my thoughts....seems as if you recognize the "slow" amount of postings of new turnings as well as me?

David DeCristoforo
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
No, not really... it's just that everyone's busy trying to figure out how to get to Steve Schlumpf's house. I hear he's having a barbecue and he's invited everyone on the turner's forum so everyone is trying to figure out how far they have to go.

James Combs
08-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Since you mentioned it, yes it does seem a little slow. Over the last week or so I have noticed that the same posts seem to be up each time I visit "all things spiny"

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:41 PM
No, not really... it's just that everyone's busy trying to figure out how to get to Steve Schlumpf's house. I hear he's having a barbecue and he's invited everyone on the turner's forum so everyone is trying to figure out how far they have to go.

Hey DD,

bar-B-Q does sound good, and if we all show up at Steve's at the same time, I think he might just move to Alaska! :D

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Since you mentioned it, yes it does seem a little slow. Over the last week or so I have noticed that the same posts seem to be up each time I visit "all things spiny"

JD,

I saw the same thing as you. I just think that it has been so hot, and travel is most likely keeping turners away from the lathe, and we are seeing less photos of new turnings.

We "regulars" must be somewhat addicted to discussing the "spinny" side of the world, and when not much is happening we notice it ;)

Jeff Fagen
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM
We had our turning club meeting last night and the demonstrator was rushing along because of the heat and humidity.
I was sitting there with a bandana on my head,shorts and a soaked t-shirt.
I don't know how the Ti-Kwan-Do class next door could stand it.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
hey lookie,

At least we got a discussion started! :D

Cathy Schaewe
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
JD,

I saw the same thing as you. I just think that it has been so hot, and travel is most likely keeping turners away from the lathe, and we are seeing less photos of new turnings.

We "regulars" must be somewhat addicted to discussing the "spinny" side of the world, and when not much is happening we notice it ;)

I noticed the same thing. Figured everybody was either on vacation or suffering from heatstroke.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I noticed the same thing. Figured everybody was either on vacation or suffering from heatstroke.

Hello Cathy,

Just wanted to say Hi...........Hi! :D

Cathy Schaewe
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Hello Cathy,

Just wanted to say Hi...........Hi! :D
hello back!

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I think the heat and humidity has a lot to do with it.

David E Keller
08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Work has been crazy the past few weeks which has kept me out of the shop... That's not such a bad thing because it's been over a hundred nearly every day this week. I did squeak out a couple of things, so I'll try and take some photos tomorrow.

Billy Tallant
08-06-2010, 2:17 AM
It is nearly too hot to turn here in central Texas. With heat hanging around 102 F, nearly too hot to venture to the shop. Went to the shop & worked a little bit when the sun went down.

brian watts
08-06-2010, 5:26 AM
same here. 100 + way to hot to turn . no A/C but would be nice to have .

Donny Lawson
08-06-2010, 6:23 AM
Same here in GA. Too hot!!!!!!!!!! I would love to get back out there but this heat and humidity is so bad you can hardly breathe.It is suppose to be better today but the weather said it will get hot again over the weekend and most of next week.It's just suppose to get to 91 today but about 99-101 starting Monday.
Donny

Keith Outten
08-06-2010, 7:47 AM
I just checked our monthly stats in the back office. We are averaging between 600 to 900 new posts per day which is normal activity for this time of year. These statistics are for the entire site, I don't have the capability to limit the stat search to just the turning forum.

Some are lucky and have air conditioned workshops so the temperatures tend to drive them inside when it is just too hot to work outside. A portion of our Community are in the opposite side of the planet enjoying "Winter" :)

Karl Card
08-06-2010, 8:47 AM
I myself, not that I do important or extravant stuff anyway, am taking the time to clean up shop, install dc, got my bandsaw tuned up, tuned up my table saw, getting ready to get the router table done up today and making a cabinet for all my kits, and I just havent been turning anything and decided to go flat stuff for a short bit to make my daughters a cedar chest, and the people in that thread have been very considerate and overlooked my ignorance as usual. I even took the time to get my 8 inch jointer/planer wired and setup and gee i have had it for over 6 months but today will be the first day to fire it up....

So yes it is been very busy but I just love being in a clean shop where you do not have to crawl over stuff.

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 8:52 AM
I myself, not that I do important or extravant stuff anyway, am taking the time to clean up shop, install dc, got my bandsaw tuned up, tuned up my table saw, getting ready to get the router table done up today and making a cabinet for all my kits, and I just havent been turning anything and decided to go flat stuff for a short bit to make my daughters a cedar chest, and the people in that thread have been very considerate and overlooked my ignorance as usual. I even took the time to get my 8 inch jointer/planer wired and setup and gee i have had it for over 6 months but today will be the first day to fire it up....

So yes it is been very busy but I just love being in a clean shop where you do not have to crawl over stuff.

Karl,

My shop needs to be cleaned up and organize all over again, as well. I have my tools tuned up pretty well, but "stuff" sitting all over the table saw, large bandsaw, etc. I need to treat my table tops again to prevent rust.

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2010, 8:59 AM
I managed to turn the last of the curly maple vases this week. Dyed it to match vase #4 and am in the process of applying poly to it. Should have it finished enough to post by Sunday evening - I hope.

Feel bad for all you folks in the heat! Predicting a high here of 70* today!

Roger Chandler
08-06-2010, 9:20 AM
I managed to turn the last of the curly maple vases this week. Dyed it to match vase #4 and am in the process of applying poly to it. Should have it finished enough to post by Sunday evening - I hope.

Feel bad for all you folks in the heat! Predicting a high here of 70* today!

Steve,

I'm sure we all will be thinking about you in the dead of winter when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and high temps are running about 5 degrees during the day :eek:

I guess all of us have to deal with our weather burdens! I am thankful that I have a snow thrower and a snow blade for my ATV!

Brad Vaughn
08-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Ah hum well me myself and I been fishing.....
And yes its been hot for turning but! I have been doing some.
Hey I turn a handle on a real do that count?:eek::D

Tony De Masi
08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Been hot as blazes here too but that's not my excuse. I've been doing some traveling between here, Virginia Beach and Boston over the last few weeks. So haven't had much shop time at all. Was acutally in the shop last night when the power went out but fortunately didn't have any machines going at the time.

Tony

p.s. - not sure how far from Steve Schlumpf.

Aaron Wingert
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Those little boogers in my profile pic are keeping me really busy and limiting my shop time and my sawmill creek time. Now that they're crawling they don't allow me to use the laptop while they play, because they're fascinated by it and its power cord....Just easier to not use it when they're awake.

I still get to the shop several hours each week, but it is often late at night or when the wife goes somewhere with the boys.

John Hart
08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm just afraid to post. :o