PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Techniques (Spinning Metal)

Michael Ballent
12-08-2004, 5:56 PM
Did anyone happen to see the episode on spinning metal... Too Cool!!! Anyone here ever done it? and where do you get the tools. For anyone that did not happen to see the episode here is the run down:

Tools:
1. Lathe ;)
2. Spoon tool (Some metal spinning tool with a blunt end)
3. Metal spinning lubicant (that is washable in water)
4. modified tool rest with fulcrum pins to press the spoon against
5. spindle gouge

What he did:
1. Make a form from wood
2. center the disk between the centers
3. lubricate the disk
4. use the "spoon" to press the disk against the form moving from the center to the outside then back to the center
5. true the disk with a gouge
6. remove the burrs
7. form the lip
8. buff
9. turn the bowl around and buff the interior

Overall looks like a pretty cool application :D He used aluminum because it's much cheaper, but you can use silver, copper, brass, pewter etc once you get more practice :D

Carl Eyman
12-08-2004, 6:26 PM
Where did you see this? I've seen it done live, but so long ago I don't remember when.

Michael Ballent
12-08-2004, 7:03 PM
DIY Network on cable/satellite... the show is on Saturday mornings, I just record it and watch it when I can... I think that episode was on 2 weeks ago. Very cool stuff :D

Lou Morrissette
12-08-2004, 7:49 PM
Michael,
This is a very old process still used in Europe to create high end pots and pans.
Oddly enough I was introduced to the process during my apprenticeship as a metalsmith more years ago than I want to tell you.:D This was being used in a jet engine manufacturing plant to create odd shaped parabolic and conical shapes. It was an economical way to create these shapes out of sheet stock which would have had to be tuned out of solid material. Interesting stuff.

Lou

Joe Judge
12-08-2004, 8:43 PM
The turner was showing a woman in the show.
He was very good at expressing, showing and letter her do the work.

I definitely enjoyed watching this DIY show --wish they had more turning shows.

-- joe

edit: DIY has a website, also. There should be some picts and step-by-step on this -- www.DIYnet.com

Joe Judge
12-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Dave Hout is on (here in Boston) now on DIY network ... showing how to turn a "twice turned bowl"

These shows are absolutely super. I hope you all have a chance to see them.
Their website notes for this show are at diynet.com

--joe

Jean Holland
12-12-2004, 1:38 PM
The name of the show is "Woodturning Techniques". It's on three times on Saturday - around 12:00 noon, 9:30 pm, and 12:00 midnight (give or take a half hour). Dave is a master turner and also did the show "Basic Woodturning" which was also on DIY. I see repeats of this show every so often. I think they are occasionally on Thursday.

Yesterday, David Marks did a woodturning episode. It was a hollow vessel. Now that was nice. I do wish I could do work like these two gentlemen! May one day :D ...if I can only get out to the garage and practice some more :rolleyes:

Mark Stutz
12-12-2004, 2:08 PM
Several months ago we had a demonstration of pewter spinninat our local wooderworkers guild meeting. The gentleman that did it does it for a living! He simply used a shopmade rest with adjustable fulcrum points and an old rake handle (the knob end), as his "turning tool" The key to the process is the form. It must be perfect or every imperfection will be transferred to the metal. Colonial pewtersmiths used this method. He told us that some of the designs were almost impossible to recreate today because the skill of making the forms is a vanishing art. For vessels, i.e. pitchers, where the top is a smaller diameter than the mid part, the form must be able to come apart in order to get it out. All in all, it was a very fascinating demonstration.

Michael Ballent
12-17-2004, 1:36 PM
Several months ago we had a demonstration of pewter spinninat our local wooderworkers guild meeting. The gentleman that did it does it for a living! He simply used a shopmade rest with adjustable fulcrum points and an old rake handle (the knob end), as his "turning tool" The key to the process is the form. It must be perfect or every imperfection will be transferred to the metal. Colonial pewtersmiths used this method. He told us that some of the designs were almost impossible to recreate today because the skill of making the forms is a vanishing art. For vessels, i.e. pitchers, where the top is a smaller diameter than the mid part, the form must be able to come apart in order to get it out. All in all, it was a very fascinating demonstration.
Do you happen to remember the thickness of the pewter he was using?

Michael Barry
12-17-2004, 6:33 PM
I saw that metal spinning episode and I also recently watched a New Yankee Workshop where Norm built a flagpole with a metal ball on the top. He went to a metal worker to have him spin the ball in two pieces and they showed the process. Very cool.
Highland Hardware sells metal spinning tools and also some forms and spinning discs including pewter. I've been giving them a good look since I watched those shows.

Mark Stutz
12-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Micharl,
Sorry, but that was some time ago. I know it wasn't very thick, but I just can't remember. :o CRS disease, ya know. :D

Michael Ballent
12-18-2004, 12:22 PM
No worries, I was just curious since you had seen it done live :). Thanks for the reply.

David Wilson
12-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Back in about 1980 when I was working in the wind industry I visited a shop in the Twin Citys area called Acme Metal Spinning. We were looking for nose cones for wind generators. These folks were spinning 10' satelite dishes while we were there. Fascinating to watch. I think I need a bigger lathe.

Tom Morton
12-23-2004, 7:07 AM
Ernie Conover published a metal spinning article in the Fall 2000 Vol 15, No3 edition of American Woodturner - AAW's magazine. Very interesting, I missed the DIY show - tools appear to be easy to find. This is on my to learn list right after a rose engine.