PDA

View Full Version : My jointer is whole again ...

Cliff Holmes
08-05-2010, 9:29 PM
Well, after my little adventure with UPS, Grizzly checked out my fence and agreed that it was a little twisted. I even got a phone call from the tech who was working on it, letting me know he had it. I received my new fence this afternoon, de-cosomolined it, and checked it out. Awesome, totally flat within .002 across the whole face.

One thing that I may not have included in the original post: I did not discover the twist until my jointer was over a year old. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it was out of warranty. Grizzly still made it right. I can't say they'd do it for everyone, but it's that kind of extra-mile stuff that keeps me coming back for more.

Don Alexander
08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
very nice and excellent customer service from grizzly yet again

got to feel pretty good knowing that your jointer is right on :)

Rick Lizek
08-06-2010, 5:46 AM
On a related note how much was your fence off before in actual numbers. I've straightened many a cast iron fence with a couple of clamps and a 2 x 4.

Hans Braul
08-06-2010, 6:47 AM
Well, after my little adventure with UPS, Grizzly checked out my fence and agreed that it was a little twisted. I even got a phone call from the tech who was working on it, letting me know he had it. I received my new fence this afternoon, de-cosomolined it, and checked it out. Awesome, totally flat within .002 across the whole face.

One thing that I may not have included in the original post: I did not discover the twist until my jointer was over a year old. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it was out of warranty. Grizzly still made it right. I can't say they'd do it for everyone, but it's that kind of extra-mile stuff that keeps me coming back for more.

Similar experience to mine, recently posted under "Grizzly Customer Service". They really do stand by their product.

Hans

Cliff Holmes
08-06-2010, 7:27 AM
how much was your fence off before in actual numbers. I've straightened many a cast iron fence

I was seeing as much as .008 out.

Yes, I could have straightened it, but I could have also botched it up even worse. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask Grizzly for help and they came through.

Robert Reece
08-06-2010, 8:11 AM
Was .008 really affecting your use of the jointer? My jointer is a Jet and the outfeed table sags about 0.010 and my fence is bowed along it's length about 0.020. But somehow I manage to produce boards without any problems. I am wondering how the .008 was affecting your work.

Cliff Holmes
08-06-2010, 8:28 AM
Yes, edges would be square on some parts of the board and not others. Now, no problems.