PDA

View Full Version : most used router bits

kelly logan
08-05-2010, 8:57 PM
Looking to spend some money on router bits, pretty much going with freud brand
Looking for what sets are used more often plus singles bits too

Will Overton
08-05-2010, 9:01 PM
For me, round-overs, cove, template, dovetail, straight, not necessarily in that order.

Peter Quinn
08-05-2010, 9:04 PM
Sets? I've never bought a set, I just buy them as I need them. A 1/2" plunge bit, a flush trim bit, a 1 1/8" pattern makers bit (top bearing), a hinge mortising bit, a chamfer, several small round overs, a classical ogee, a spiral uocut in 1/2" and 1/4", a slot cutter kit and a rabbiting set, those are my most used these days. I have a shaper to do lots of profiling and moldings, so the router is pretty much for smaller profiles, things best done by taking the tool to the piece after assembly, or as a joinery tool.

Freud's are good bits. Check woocraft too for those $5 green bits when they are on sale. Its a great value for a decent bit.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-05-2010, 9:48 PM
If you buy a set, you'll end up with half a set that you'll probably never use. Buy what you need, when you need it. Unless it's a really good deal. :)

Will Overton
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I kind of disagree with those who say don't buy sets. I think the statement is a little broad. I wouldn't recommend a set that has a bunch of different profiles. However, I'm really happy with my Whiteside round over/beading set and use all 4 sizes. I recently ordered a rabbeting set. I find that while I mainly use a few bit 'shapes', I like having them in various sizes.

glenn bradley
08-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm another nay-sayer for sets unless they are the "5 essential" type sets. It will vary with what you make but most of use use at least some of the basics. For me it would be a 1/4" straight spiral, a chamfer, a roundover, a flush trim and a rabbet.

I will pitch Holbren.com who is a member here and gives great service and cheap shipping on Whiteside bits which are always my first choice; Freud is my second and the other major players after that.

I do still pick up MLCS or Woodline bits when I need a profile I may never use again or one I am not sure if I will like. These wear out quickly and are replaced with quality bits if I find they will be used more in the future; if they will not, I am not out much money.

What do I use the most?

1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" spiral straight bits
1/16", 1/8", 3/16 and 1/4" round overs
45* Chamfer
rabbet with bearings that allow varying depths
top and bottom bearing pattern bits in diameters from 1/4" to 1-1/8"

Some of these you may use more than me, some you may not want at all.

I recall when I was starting out I had a chance to pick up some Amana bits at half price as Rockler was going to stop carrying them. I stood in front of the case and looked and looked and looked . . . The store owner finally took pity on me and walked over and said; "just pick one, it won't be your last". I had no idea then how right he was ;).

Good article: http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=26888

Dave Gaul
08-06-2010, 8:26 AM
I too, would stay away from large sets.. small specialized sets, like rabbet sets, roundover sets, essential sets, those would be good. And I wouldn't limit myself to Freud either, their bits are nice, but go for the best deals on good brands... I recently cashed in on a ton of Whiteside bits over hartville tool's last two sales. I have a couple CMT bits I got on clearance from Woodcraft. I have a WoodRiver rabbet set that is pretty nice. I also have some MLCS bits that were on clearance/sale.. great value on MLCS bits, especially ones that you won't use too much...

I started with a set from Harbor Freight.. the Lifetime Carbide large set 1/2" shank... I thought is was a great set, until I spun a CMT bit!! I keep the HF bits around for "rough" projects...

Start with the basics, as others have said... roundovers, straights, template/flush trims, ogee/roman ogee, classicals, chamfer, cove, and rabbet...

scott spencer
08-06-2010, 9:00 AM
Kelly - Mileage varies depending on preference but the most commonly used profiles are straight, straight pattern (with bearing), cove, roundover, rabbet, ogee, and chamfer. The sizes of each can vary a lot too.

Freud bits are excellent, but by focusing specifically on them you reduce the odds of getting the best deal on the best bits. There are others that are at least at the same level...Whiteside, Eagle, Infinity for example. Whiteside sells a 7 pc set of the most commonly used profiles that sells in the $80 range, making it one of the best deals on high end bits IMO (Holbren (http://www.holbren.com/whiteside-multi_profile-set-7_piece-1-2-shank.html) has it for $81 shipped with the "SMC10" discount code). Infinity (http://www.infinitytools.com/6-Piece-Essential-Set/productinfo/00-112/) sells a basic 6 pc set in the $100 range. These are excellent basic sets that give up no quality to their individual counterparts but they definitely offer savings of the common profiles compared to buying them separately.
http://www.holbren.com/images/T/t-440-90.gif http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51a6zpNHPJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

From there you can add what you need or want. I use a thumbnail table edge bit quite often and would add that one to the mix. A raised panel set is pretty useful too. For less frequently used profiles, sometimes I opt for the better "value" bits like MLCS, Price Cutter, Woodline, etc....these are safe, decent quality imports that do a good job.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Wq0L0KeZrwtY7M:l

Prashun Patel
08-06-2010, 9:08 AM
I say buy an economy set from a company like MLCS. Their bits are decent quality but an excellent value.

Then buy quality bits as you need them.

yes, I have a few bits I've never used, but a lot of them I've used exactly ONCE - when I really needed them. I would have hated to be in the posn of having to buy a new bit each time the need arose. When they wore out or started underperforming, I bought individuals.

Jeff Monson
08-06-2010, 9:12 AM
I use my roundover bits 1/8" and 1/4" the most, along with a template bit. I upgraded quickly with freud bits on the commonly used bits as I had started out with a cheap set. Amazing though, I still use one now and then from my starter set.

pat warner
08-06-2010, 9:45 AM
Most useful bits: Straight bits, whether single or double fluted, carbide faced steel, solid carbide, straight, twisted or helix.
They, (with you and your router), can make circles, disks, mortices, slots, dados, gains, box joints, assist in nearly all templet cuts, joint stock, rabbet, & create tongues and grooves. It is also is the most likely cutter to be involved in accidents, especially when they're long fluted doing shallow work.

Eric DeSilva
08-06-2010, 9:46 AM
+1 on pretty much everything Glenn said.

Paul Johnstone
08-06-2010, 4:14 PM
I kind of disagree with those who say don't buy sets. I think the statement is a little broad. I wouldn't recommend a set that has a bunch of different profiles. However, I'm really happy with my Whiteside round over/beading set and use all 4 sizes. I recently ordered a rabbeting set. I find that while I mainly use a few bit 'shapes', I like having them in various sizes.

Yep, I think it's wise to buy some sets.

I have basically a set of straight bits, coves, roundovers, and ogees.. Some I didn't buy all at once, but a nice 3-4 piece set of these profiles can save you some money, and you will use them all.

Greg Portland
08-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Spiral upcut, spiral downcut, patternmakers, roundover, & slot cutter are the bits that I use the most. The slot cutter was used for biscuit work but has not been used much since I've been using a Domino for case work.

I agree with Glenn, buy the bits as you use them & get high quality (unless it's a 1-time use).

Ralph Okonieski
08-06-2010, 7:56 PM
I'm partial to the spiral bits as they leave clean edges so I tend to use them rather than the straight as first choice. Probably pattern bits, both top and bottom bearings, and roundover are next on the list. With a nice assortment of those in diameters and lengths, you've got a lot of capability.

Anthony Whitesell
08-06-2010, 9:03 PM
I'm voting with Prashun. Buy a nice decent but not great or expensive set to get started. You'll quickly figure out which ones you use most. They will wear out first. Replace those bits with quality ones worth the money.

I use the same philosophy for tools sets as well. I purchase cheap ratchet and wrenches to start, then replaced the ones that got trashed or broken with quality ones. I feel it got me more tools in my box, some are "everyday usage" and some are "just in case".

Mike Cruz
08-06-2010, 10:36 PM
The one that I use the most is a 3/4" carbide straight bit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I bought a big aluminum briefcase kit of bits at a show a few years ago. Maybe 50 different bits.

I have not used 'em all but I have used a fair number of them. They are not Whiteside quality, but they work just fine. I think I paid like $30.00
Worth it at twice the price.

Matthew Hills
08-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I bought a 6-piece set of basic whiteside bits in 1/2" shank. Most of these have been useful bits, although it was a while before I used the cove. Their new 10-piece essential set looks good, too:
http://www.holbren.com/images/P/410%20Essential.jpg

1014 - Straight - 1/4” Diam. X 1/4” shank
1069 - Straight - 1/2” Diam. x 1/2” shank
1954 - Rabbeting - 1/2” CL x 1/2” shank
2305 - 45 Deg. Chamfer x 1/2” shank
2006 - 1/4” Radius Roundover x 1/2” shank
1804 - 3/8” Radius Cove with 1/2” shank
2407 - 1/2” Diam. Flush Trim x 1/2” shank
RU4900 - 3/8” Diam. Upcut Spiral x 1/2” shank
6710A - 1/4” 3-wing Slot Cutter
A210B - Slot Cutter Arbor x 1/2” shank
D1055 - 1/2” Diam. x 10 Deg. Dovetail x 1/2” shank