PDA

View Full Version : Windows snipping tool

Keith Dellwo
08-05-2010, 6:33 PM
Being new to the forum and still reading posts from several years ago (I'm working my way forward reading every post), I thought I'd share a windows tool that is very handy for saving posts that really interest me.
I create a folder for each forum i visit. When i find a post that piques my interest, I use the windows snipping tool. It's been available since 2005 I believe. Select all the text you want to save then snip it, and put it in the folder with a name of your choosing. Works much like cut and paste, but allows you to write edits with a pen. I have seen so many posts inquiring about where did I see this post with this or that...or I really wanted to try this and forgot were i had seen it, this will eliminate all that time searching for things you like and wanted to try but forgot where you saw it.

Keith

Dan Hintz
08-06-2010, 7:17 AM
I've never heard of nor seen this snipping tool you speak of...

Mike Null
08-06-2010, 7:24 AM
Keith

You might consider this option. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132295

Keith Dellwo
08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
it's in the accessories folder. I agree the dvd is a great idea. My point was when I'm going through thousands of posts, I clip the ones that may help me down the road, and organize them in a folder on my laptop. I can snip a whole page or just a comment, name it (settings for granite), highlight it or write remarks on the snip and save it to a folder (settings). I don't have to cut it, open notepad and save it as a text file. what you snip is what you get.

Karen Barber
08-06-2010, 12:20 PM
but I didn't know about the edit pen. I used to use a Mac and I was able to do alot of screenshots with it and when I got this computer (Win Vista in Feb. 2009) I saw the "snipping tool" and I loved it for screen shots! I never played in it but I do use it alot (especially if I get error messages). Thanks for the info about the pen. That's great!

James Jaragosky
08-06-2010, 1:43 PM
I use the snipping tool as well. However I use it for other functions. You would be better off copying and pasting into word documents, this will allow you to have a searchable database.

Dan Hintz
08-06-2010, 2:03 PM
It appears the snipping tool is available in Win7 and Vista by default, and only in XP if you have the "Experience Pack" installed.

Martin Boekers
08-06-2010, 2:38 PM
I've never heard of nor seen this snipping tool you speak of...

I have it on one computer running Vista, nice feature!

The computers running the lasers I have stuck with XP (no drama;)
or at least not as much)

Marty

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-06-2010, 5:12 PM
It appears the snipping tool is available in Win7 and Vista by default, and only in XP if you have the "Experience Pack" installed.

The Snipping Tool will not run on regular XP unless you tweak several settings and even then you won't have the full features of the Snipping Tool program. Before going to all that time & work, you may as well just download the portable "Snippy" program on your XP machine as it takes very little resources (84 kb in size) and it doesn't require an install. The Snipping Tool will run on XP Tablet version as long as you have the minimum requirements installed.

As for saving useful info in this forum to refer to later, besides for setting up your own system of notes & files, bookmarks are handy too. ;)