PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Headboard (pics) finally!!

Jerry Olexa
12-08-2004, 5:14 PM
This project took longer than expected, but today set up/installed the new headboard . Learned a lot on this project: the beauty of working with cherry (altho it burns easily). It finishes well , in this case, oil and also discovered the technique of padding/french polishing. The Arch/curves/angles were a challenge esp when I deviated from original plan and did raised panels and different thicknesses of materials,etc. I'm not pleased w the look of the cherry in these pics but of course, with time, it will darken . In deference to Tyler, I've attached pics, The first one is as we were setting up andbefore LOML covered my work w pillows,etc. :D Please overlook my mistakes..:D

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 5:20 PM
That looks AWESOME, Jerry! The design, material selection and finish is beautiful.

Sign me....Cherry Lover!

Jim Fancher
12-08-2004, 5:23 PM
Very nice! I love the arch and raised panels. I'm a Cherry lover too, but I've never worked with it. I can't wait to give it a shot.

Again, beautiful headboard!

Tyler Howell
12-08-2004, 5:34 PM
You done good Jerry and Great Pix ta boot.:cool:

Mark Singer
12-08-2004, 5:47 PM
Jerry,
Really excellent! Beautiful workmanship and detail! Quality!!

Mike Hedges
12-08-2004, 5:50 PM
Jerry, Great job, I built one just like that, making the curve back was a real challenge. Mine is out of cherry --just like yours....Kind of scary cutting out the curves. I also built one out of oak --but is was a straight back. I will try to send (pic)

scott spencer
12-08-2004, 6:33 PM
"Stunning" comes to mind, so does beautiful, gorgeous, awesome, etc. Super job!

Herb Blair
12-08-2004, 6:51 PM
Excellent Job! :)

Bruce Page
12-08-2004, 7:06 PM
Beautiful job Jerry but I think you should move the pillows to the other end of the bed!

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-08-2004, 7:13 PM
WOW - That's OUTSTANDING! :D I love to work with Cherry, too.

Bruce ;)

Dick Parr
12-08-2004, 7:14 PM
Beautiful looking bed Jerry. :)

Lou Morrissette
12-08-2004, 7:34 PM
Fine looking piece of work, Jerry. And to think that it will look even better with age! Awesome!

Larry Crim
12-08-2004, 7:59 PM
Butifull work I like the arch, Can you give us some details as to the process you took to make the arch?

Larry

Bob Worrel Jr.
12-08-2004, 8:11 PM
That is a B-E-A-UTIFUL bed. Great job.

Ted Shrader
12-08-2004, 8:13 PM
Jerry -

Oustanding work! Looks like the massive glue up went just fine! Nice lines, proportions. and trim.

How did you get the top cap rail on?

Ted

ps - What is it with women and all those extra pillows? :) ;) :)

Tony Falotico
12-08-2004, 8:28 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Jerry.

John Miliunas
12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Wow, Jerry! That is superb! I mean, REALLY superb! :) Yes, I'd be interested in a bit more of the process, especially working the curved features. :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Wow Jerry It Looks Great!!!!!!!!!!!!
they always take longer than we expect!!!
Jim

Pat Monahan
12-09-2004, 1:10 AM
A family heirloom for sure, Jerry! Lookin' real good :D
Pat

Mark J Bachler
12-09-2004, 7:51 AM
Great design and awesome craftsmanship. I would also put the pillows at the foot.

Lee Schierer
12-09-2004, 8:25 AM
Excellent work. There are no mistakes visible from where I sit.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2004, 9:15 AM
Once again, Jerry....you've set the bar to a higher level! Absolutely gorgeous!

Chris Padilla
12-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Purty, purty, purty...stunning!

Jason Tuinstra
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Jerry, you did an excellent job on this one!!! I like your diviation from the plans and giving it a true raised panel. It makes for a nice look. Your wife did a nice job on the bedding as well. It really brings the whole project together. Nice job.

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
THANK YOU ALL for your kind and generous thoughts. It was a fun project but longer than usual due to the curves, arches,etc. I learned a lot on this one. To answer your questions:
Larry and John M. on making the arches , I made patterns first (by hand) then transferred to a 1/4 " hardboard template and then mounted templates on the blanks w Dbl sided tape and a few hidden screws. Then used a flush trim bit on router table and cleaned up the rougher BS cuts. There was still quite a bit of hand sanding and rounding on both template and final pieces and of course, the top curved moulding. This was originally a Woodsmith plan and Jason T. made also earlier (He helped me a lot throughout this project) but I went w raised panels and different sizes of stock so had to adapt a bit.
Ted, I think you mean the top rail and molding (which originally puzzled me also). You make two overlapping blanks (basically same radius) and then route the curved Roman Ogee and then work it w a rasp and sanding and then carefully glue the overlapping portion (about 1 1/2"). Then you trim w a band saw and back to a "rigged"template to allow for thickness of 2 pcs of Cherry and then flush trim. Then more rounding, blending and sanding. Yes, the gluing was a bit tricky. I did in two steps: raised panel section and then glued/added the 2 posts. Band clamps made it work. I thought I took pics of both steps but can only find the last gluing which I'll attach.
Thanks again for your forgiving and kind remarks! I loved this project but its time demanding w the many curves and angles.

Mike Scoggins
12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Jerry,

Absolutely beautiful ,Jerry. You did a great job!

Mike

Donnie Raines
12-09-2004, 1:19 PM
Jerry that is one fine headboard!

Scott Coffelt
12-09-2004, 1:32 PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Olexa
12-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Jerry that is one fine headboard!
Thanks Donnie. How's your sore throat? Is the magic mixture helping? Hope you're back to normal..

Donnie Raines
12-10-2004, 9:32 AM
Thanks Donnie. How's your sore throat? Is the magic mixture helping? Hope you're back to normal..

Jerry,

The problem continued to persist...So I seen the doctor again. I have to have a few growths(cyst) removed from my throat.

Gene Collison
12-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Jerry,

Very beautiful project and end result, stunning! One question though, I have built several projects from cherry and can't seem to get that beautiful color that is coming through on my computer from your piece. I am wondering if it's the cherry I buy on the west coast or is it my finishing technique. I noticed Jason Tuinstra's last project, it had that same elusive for me and beautiful tone. What was your finishing process? Again, beautiful!!

Gene

Jerry Olexa
12-10-2004, 1:15 PM
Jerry,

The problem continued to persist...So I seen the doctor again. I have to have a few growths(cyst) removed from my throat.Donnie Thanks for update, We will be thinking of you , Pls let us know the results and you'll soon be back to creating sawdust in the shop!! :)

Jerry Olexa
12-10-2004, 1:25 PM
Jerry,

One question though, I have built several projects from cherry and can't seem to get that beautiful color that is coming through on my computer from your piece. I am wondering if it's the cherry I buy on the west coast or is it my finishing technique. I noticed Jason Tuinstra's last project, it had that same elusive for me and beautiful tone. What was your finishing process?
Gene
Gene, my process is simple: a heavy coat of BLO, wipe off in 30 minutes and them let dry a week. (this Pops the grain ). Then I pad on several coats of garnet shellac and keep padding till i get the look I want, In this case, I did not apply another topcoat of P&L 38 varnish (for protection as wasn't needed) Jason, I think also uses BLO but sprays on a top coat of lacquer. You can also just put on lacquer alone and of course, cherry darkens by itself w age and exposure to light. Hope this helps,

Gene Collison
12-10-2004, 2:56 PM
Gene, my process is simple: a heavy coat of BLO, wipe off in 30 minutes and them let dry a week. (this Pops the grain ). Then I pad on several coats of garnet shellac and keep padding till i get the look I want, In this case, I did not apply another topcoat of P&L 38 varnish (for protection as wasn't needed) Jason, I think also uses BLO but sprays on a top coat of lacquer. You can also just put on lacquer alone and of course, cherry darkens by itself w age and exposure to light. Hope this helps,
Jerry, it helps a lot, I will try it on my next cherry project. Thanks....

Gene

Sean Hughes
12-10-2004, 3:32 PM
Looks awesome!!!! I hope to be working on projects like that in the future.

Bill Arnold
12-10-2004, 3:53 PM
Jerry,

Great work! I enjoy working with cherry more than any other wood, I think. You finish looks fantastic and will get better with age, of course.

A question about your use of BLO. You said you wipe on BLO only, then wipe it off and let the item sit a week. On some pieces I'm starting to finish, I'm using a 2/2/1 mix of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane. Is there a reason you don't thin the BLO for wiping?

Keep up the great work!

Jerry Olexa
12-10-2004, 4:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Arnold]
A question about your use of BLO. You said you wipe on BLO only, then wipe it off and let the item sit a week. On some pieces I'm starting to finish, I'm using a 2/2/1 mix of BLO/Naphtha/Polyurethane. Is there a reason you don't thin the BLO for wiping?

Bill,I know quite a few WW'ers do a mixture/home brew as you say and are v happy with the results. It's also more a one application (several coats?) process and dries quicker. I like the look I get w straight BLO even with the long drying time and love to work the shellac separately. Just a personal preference ...

Bill Arnold
12-10-2004, 6:02 PM
Just a personal preference ...
That's what's so great about what we do! Each of us can use different processes to achieve essentially the same end result. I continue to experiment with slight variations on a theme each time I finish an item. Impatience spurs me to try things that will speed up the finish process. Although there are times I wish I could just build something and hand it to someone else to apply finish, I'm making myself learn more about finishing and, in the process, achieving better results.

Regards,

Jerry Olexa
12-10-2004, 6:22 PM
Bill ,Agree w your thought 100%. Also Japan Drier (a small Amt) speeds up the drying of BLO. BLO on its own is very slow....