PDA

View Full Version : Finishing suppliers, what's best?

Tom Walz
08-05-2010, 3:06 PM
Groit’s garage just opened up the street from us. They are in car care and make their own line of excellent products.

I got wondering if I was missing on out on something similar in woodworking.

I think I know about the big ones and have used them successfully. I just wondered if I am missing anything.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom

Prashun Patel
08-05-2010, 3:28 PM
Homestead Finishing is a favorite of many. Jeff Jewitt is one of most the well-respected and prolific finishers that I know of; HSF is his company, I believe.

You can get everything from tinted lacquers and dyes to all manner of brushes and spray equipment...

The best part is that if you phone your order in, you can often get Jeff on the phone for guidance that'll make you feel you've really gone to the right place and have ordered the right thing.

Robert Reece
08-05-2010, 4:14 PM
Jeff at Homestead has been very good to work with. He sold me my spray gun, brushes and gallons of finishes for my kitchen. He has always answered emails and phone questions. Highly recommend him.

Jon van der Linden
08-05-2010, 5:34 PM
Jeff at Homestead is really good. The only downside is that if you're buying a spraygun for example, there are only a few lines that he carries. For example, the last gun I bought was a Sata, which is a brand he doesn't carry. When it comes to consumables, he has most of the stuff I use and like. Since it sounds like you're somewhat new to quality finishing, just reading through his site might be informative.

They don't seem to have a good selection of oil finishes though, I think they carried some in the past. Probably didn't work out for them business wise.

The local auto place you mentioned may carry a lot of the Mirka abrasives. Things like that are always worth checking out.