PDA

View Full Version : We went and done it.... finally...

Tom Mullane
12-08-2004, 5:14 PM
Yup... we got a new woodturners club started in Frederick Maryland.. we are called the Mid Maryland Woodturners and would like to welcome anyone in the area (or visiting the area) to come out and join us on the first Tuesday of the month at 7PM... so far only 13 of us, but you have to start somewhere... we have a wide knowledge base from rank beginner to gallery quality turner
One of the first pieces of business enacted was to become a AAW Club...
Yours truly was shanghaied into the job of president..
If anyone would like more information please contact me at oldgriz@oldgriz.biz and I will be glad to let you know what is happening

Charles Bjorgen
12-08-2004, 6:11 PM
Congratulations, Tom. That's about how my local club, Minnesota Woodturners Association, got started back in 1987 with 20 members. This year, our membership hit over 200. I joined as a beginning turner four years ago and can't say enough good about such organizations. Your AAW affiliation will be particularly valuable if your membership does any official club outside demonstrations. This is all spelled out in the latest AAW journal, American Woodturner, in an article about AAW's liability insurance for chapter members who also are AAW members.

Another benefit is the availability of member discounts to certain woodworking retail stores such as Rocklers and Woodcraft. You'll need to equip your members with official membership cards and negotiate these discounts with these stores at the local level.

Best of luck to you and your membership. It won't be long before you'll be discussing publishing your own newsletter and maintaining a web site. :)

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 6:16 PM
You also have my congratulations, Tom. Having an AAW chapter in your area will certainly help to grow turning and provide many opportunities to learn and share. I know I enjoy every meeting of my own local chapter. Frederick is a beautiful area, too...I spent a LOT of time there a few years ago working with the county and school district on their communications needs! (48K miles of driving in 18 months worth...)

John Shuk
12-09-2004, 7:53 PM
Tom,
I'm glad to hear you started that as I am working on getting something going in my neck of the wood as well. There are some groups around but the ride seems to be 50 minutes in each direction. I think I will start another thread asking for suggestions. I know offhand of a few prospective members and think I can find a few more without too much trouble. Best of luck to you and the rest of the group.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-09-2004, 8:59 PM
WTG Tom. Good luck with the club.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Congratulations Tom, I have to drive almost 2 hours to a meeting with our club, I think it is worth every mile.

Tom Mullane
12-10-2004, 5:05 PM
If anyone would like a copy of our email newsletter sent to their club or for themselves, please give me the email address and I will put them on the mailing list...
Thanks...

Stefan Antwarg
12-12-2004, 9:32 AM
That's great Tom! If I didn't get up 5:30 A.M. each day and live nearly 2 hours away, I would join.

Stefan

Aaron Koehl
12-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Good job, Tom! It's about time for the Mid-Maryland Woodturner's TAT.. :D