PDA

View Full Version : David Ellsworth Class

Scott Coffelt
12-08-2004, 3:37 PM
Thanks to Jack Diemer, I found out about and signed up for the David Ellsworth class in July in Kansas City. Looking forward to learning from a master.... now for July to get here.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet?

Jack Hogoboom
12-08-2004, 3:57 PM
Scott,

Took it in October and loved it. David is a great guy and very approachable.

Enjoy.

Jack

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 5:25 PM
Good choice, Scott. I did David's three day course in August 2001 and it changed my turning forever. (And I'm not dissappointed that he's practically a "neighbor" being only 20 minutes away...it's always good to see him and chat at events, either AAW national or on the occasion he comes to a Bucks Woodturners meeting)

Steve Plunkett
12-08-2004, 5:45 PM
Scott,
I took David's week long class at Arrowmont. Now his gouge is about the only tool I use. You'll really like learning from and getting to know him.

Rick Prevett
12-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Scott and/or Jack, could you supply me with some additional info on this class? I'm assuming it's around the time of the AAW show. Is it limited/full? This would be something I could swing if the time is right. Thanks in advance.

rick

Scott Coffelt
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
They have two classes and one already filled. The last open class is July 27/28. You can call 866-587-3195 and sign up for the class. They said I needed to call back in early June to finalize the payment. Once full they are taking wiaitng lists, but at this price I doubt too many spots open up.

Jack Diemer
12-09-2004, 11:38 AM
fyi, I believe the classes are from 9-4 and the cost is $250 for the 2 day class.

Rick Prevett
12-09-2004, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the class. Hope I make this class.

rick

Jack Hogoboom
12-09-2004, 5:47 PM
Rick,

David also teaches out of his house in Southeastern PA. It's a 3-day class that runs Fri-Sun, 8-5. Includes 3 meals. Being inside David's house is unbelieveable. He has a Maloof rocker, Nakashima table, turnings by Moulthrop, Osolnik, Escoulen, Raffan (we ate potato chips out of it!!), etc. It's like being in a museum. The best part is just listening to the guy talk. Class is limited to 5 people and costs $600. He teaches it two weekends a month from October to July.

Jack

Rick Prevett
12-09-2004, 6:07 PM
Thanks for the info Jack.

I was aware of David's classes at his home, but as I'm in Nebraska, the trip would be a stretch on my resources.

Kansas, now that's different! Even if it's only for 2 days, a chance to study with Ellsworth is something I don't want to pass on if I can help it.

rick

Thanks to Scott Coffelt I found out about and signed up for David Ellsworths' class in Kansas City also.

I called the number and it was Sandy at Turn About Wood, the store David will be working out of in KC the week after the AAW Symposium. Well Sandy and her husband Dan Moreno own Turn About Wood, and Dan is a fine turner. They came up to our club to demo Dan's bowl technique earlier this year. Small world, eh?

So I got on the list as the last student of the second session, Wed/Thur July 27 - 28. There was a waiting list on the first session, and now there'll be one on the second. Class structure is vague at this point, but it is hands on, I was told to bring my tools. Had my E gouge and sharpin' jig for a while now, probably have to unlearn some habits.

Yeah!

rick

Kent Cori
12-10-2004, 3:59 PM
David's PA class schedule for the Fall of '05 includes:

September 30-October 2 (I've signed up for this one)
October 28-30
November 11-13
December 2-4

It costs $650 total including lab fees. A $250 deposit is required.

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 5:04 PM
Kent, I hope you'll have time for a visit when you are up for David's wonderful class...only about 25 minutes or so away!

If anyone hasn't seen them, I have pictures of my 2001 class with David on my site.

Kent Cori
12-10-2004, 5:13 PM
Jim,

You're on and thanks for the invitation. :) I will definitely plan to stop by and will get with you closer to the class date to make arrangements.