PDA

View Full Version : Helix MOBO problem

Jeff Belany
08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, I've had my 45W Helix for about 10 months now and had my first real problem. Yesterday the machine didn't boot up. After cycling the power I was able to get the machine running. Called Tech Support and sounds like a chip on the MOBO is overheating. Guess my question to you guys is this -- any idea how long before I have to shell out the big $$ for a new MOBO? I'm assuming fairly soon.

On the same subject -- has anyone ever tried to add any cooling to the MOBO area? Wouldn't be too hard to add a small fan. Just a thought.

Jeff in northen Wisconsin

Joe Pelonio
08-05-2010, 2:50 PM
If you bought it new, it's still on warranty?

Doesn't the exhaust fan cool the electronics, like on my Legend? I have seen the Helix in action and thought it was similar in that respect except that the air was drawn down for suction to the table. Perhaps a stronger exhaust fan would help?

Jeff Belany
08-05-2010, 3:15 PM
Unfortunately not under warranty. Bought it used last fall. Figured I'd need a tube in the first year. With my luck the tube and the MOBO will go out at the same time. Been a tough summer and I think it will be an even tougher winter. Economy has hit here like most places.

Air gets sucked in the front panel and over the table. Don't really know if any gets diverted past the MOBO on the side.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin