PDA

View Full Version : Pricing

Mike Null
08-05-2010, 9:40 AM
Yesterday I did a job for which I charged $135.00 It was one of those Swedish carving knives which goes for about $40.

The knife was a gift for a fellow retiring at Boeing from people in his dept. Anyway it involved putting a short message on the blade using Cermark then engraving and color filling 22 names around the octagonal wood handle. I used an engraver's vise from one of my other machines to secure the piece.

I wanted pictures but my battery is dead. Anyway the customer was very pleased and said they would bring more work my way.

The point is that $135 engraving on a $40 knife was perceived to be a good value due to the complexity of the engraving. I spent about two hours which is more than expected but I hadn't intended to color fill the thing.

Dan Hintz
08-05-2010, 9:51 AM
Still, $65-$70/hr is nothing to shake a stick at...

Terry Swift
08-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Cool Mike. Maybe not charging the highest going rate will get you more business from them. One of the other members here does some things with Boeing and he gets repeat business due to the "Value" he gives them for what he charges.

While I'd like to charge $60-$70 an hour; that is kind of unrealistic in the DFW Area and it would price me out of selling things to my customers. Maybe bigger businesses and corporations will pay more; but I don't have many inroads into a lot of them yet. I'm trying; but currently individuals, small business, and Fire / Police Departments are my bread and butter.

Have any of you tried your local FD / PD's for business? I'm gaining some ground here with my area ones and some smaller ones that many engravers won't service due to smaller quantity orders. They love the 5 x 7 granite ovals with their badges and the circles with the Maltese Cross customized / personalized to their department, rank, and #. Just a thought for everyone out there.

Martin Boekers
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Mike, I think that's being fair on pricing, not to much, but still enough
to justify the extra effort with Cermark, layout and positioning.

Sure you may have made more per hour doing nametags, but it when you show off you talents that brings in the new work!

You become the "go to" guy.

I'm still reaping the benefits from the heraldic device I created last year.
Sometimes these type jobs pay for themselves over and over with additional orders!

Marty

Mark Winlund
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
The point is that $135 engraving on a $40 knife was perceived to be a good value

Exactly. We all sell our products at perceived value, no matter how much or little it costs us. The difference is profit. Profit allows you to buy a new machine, live better, whatever. The customer always decides what he will pay. It is up to you to make it profitable.

Mark

Joe Pelonio
08-05-2010, 2:47 PM
I have explained to customers that my labor at $100/hour is about the same as local auto mechanics, and while I may not be able to do all of the same work that they do on cars, none of them have a laser or the ability to use one!

;)

Michael Kowalczyk
08-05-2010, 5:32 PM
Have any of you tried your local FD / PD's for business? I'm gaining some ground here with my area ones and some smaller ones that many engravers won't service due to smaller quantity orders. They love the 5 x 7 granite ovals with their badges and the circles with the Maltese Cross customized / personalized to their department, rank, and #. Just a thought for everyone out there.

Hey Terry, That's a great Idea:)

Mike Null
08-10-2010, 6:25 AM
My customer sent these pictures.

Dan Hintz
08-10-2010, 7:24 AM
I like it... the paper packing material is a darn good looking substitute for wood shavings, too.