PDA

View Full Version : toy finishes

Jack Burgess
08-05-2010, 6:58 AM
looking for best type of product to finish off toys. Making out of white pine and some western cedar. Would like to put a sealer or something on toy to keep from showing dirt and hand prints (kids playing with them) Also hope to sell some and would want it to be safe. appreciate any thoughts

Scott Holmes
08-05-2010, 1:17 PM
All finishes and paints made in the USA since ~ 1978 are safe once they are fully cured. The problem was lead, not used anymore; well, China still uses it.

I would use a water-borne finish or shellac; both are quick and easy.

Jim Finn
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I make and sell toys and put no finish on any of them. i use pine and poplar. ANY (let me repeat ANY ) finish you put on a toy is required by law to be tested @ $300 a pop! No finish no problem.

Howard Acheson
08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has pretty much put an end to any children's toys made by non-manufacturing sources it they contain any type of finish. Even the adhesive can be an issue. The regulation even applies to something you make for your own children if they are under 12 years old. So far there has been some exemption for items that do not have a finish.

Here is some summary information about the issue and regulation.

Scott Holmes
08-06-2010, 2:06 PM
Where is the summary info?

Jack Burgess
08-10-2010, 1:41 AM
Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)

Matt Meiser
08-10-2010, 8:32 AM
There was just an article in Wood magazine about this. Our club has built toys to donate to Toys for Tots each year and it affects us as donated toys are not exempt. Short story is that if the finish manufacturer has the finish certified as lead free (and certain other chemicals included in the new standard) then that is sufficient.

I contacted Target Coatings, Zinnser, and Deft and none of them have even bothered to respond which I think is pretty sad, especially since I said why I was asking.

Next year its even worse as any non-natural materials (i.e. basically anything but the wood) in the toy have to be certified. Fastners, glues, the rope we used for handles on wagons, the rubber wheels we bought for wagons, the yarn in the doll afghans that someone made for us, etc.

Jim Finn
08-10-2010, 9:24 AM
Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)
Yes , ANYTHING that is not the wood. If ,for instance, Linseed Oil is used you must have it tested to see that it is realy LInseed Oil. Silly huh?

Scott Holmes
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Quickest way to turn the USA economy around? Get rid of the EPA!

Joe Chritz
08-10-2010, 2:08 PM
A couple of batches of kids toys with melamine or lead in them and everybody gets up in arms. Who would have thought?

Unfortunately, laws are often targeted to the least common denominator.

Yes, there are people who try to do good that get tied up in it as well. It is what it is and I consider it one of those times that I look to get the least of two bad deals.

I would highly suggest staying away from anything designed to go to kids. I wonder if you could stamp them as produced it 1985 and be OK? :confused:

Joe

Matt Meiser
08-10-2010, 2:59 PM
Joe, isn't that kind of like making a fake ID? ;)

Howard Acheson
08-10-2010, 3:54 PM
>>>> Are we talking about simple things like lin-seed oil and schillac (sp)

Yes, any finish even linseed oil, shellac or walnut oil.

Here is some info:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

Note there was a one year moratorium on some elements but the year is over in December. The regulation applied whether you sell the items or give them away.

Scott Holmes
08-11-2010, 1:59 PM
So I can't make a bed or furniture for my grandson with a finish on it? Wanna bet?

Conrad Fiore
08-11-2010, 2:41 PM
Unless you are going to invoice your grandson for the bed, it's not even an issue.

Chris Friesen
08-11-2010, 2:48 PM
So I can't make a bed or furniture for my grandson with a finish on it? Wanna bet?

Well, you could...but you'd technically be breaking the law. If it turned out that there was something nasty in the finish and their health insurance company sued you, you could be in trouble.

Jack Burgess
10-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Jim
Found this information

See http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org (http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/) for more info.
Jack

Jack Burgess
10-22-2010, 8:21 AM
I have been notified by another member that there is additional information on the stay on finishes on handmade wood products. Please visit the handmade toy alliance > savehandmadetoys@gmail.com.

I am sure that a note to your congress person would help.

Scott Holmes
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
That's an e-mail address not an http link.

Jeff Jewitt
10-22-2010, 4:24 PM
General Finishes can provide lead testing certification on just about any finishing product they make.

JJ

Jim Finn
10-22-2010, 8:23 PM
Thanks Jack............ Now , if they can just change the rules................

Howard Acheson
10-22-2010, 8:27 PM
Jeff, as I understand it, lead is not the only issue for compliance. And, as I understand it, just testing components is not good enough. The finished product must be submitted to an approved testing facility for certification.

Rich Engelhardt
10-23-2010, 7:21 AM

+1 to that.....
& when that horror is gone, what say we go after OSHA next?

Little lettered .gov entities make my skin crawl...

Bob Weis
10-23-2010, 8:08 AM

AMEN To That

Matt Meiser
10-23-2010, 9:52 AM
Jeff, as I understand it, lead is not the only issue for compliance. And, as I understand it, just testing components is not good enough. The finished product must be submitted to an approved testing facility for certification.

That is incorrect according to an article in Wood Magazine 2-3 months ago. That article says that component testing is sufficient. It also says that this year only finishes are subject to testing. Some manufacturers are making that data easy to get, other, no so much. Starting next year, things like fasteners, etc need to be tested.

Howard Acheson
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Matt, can you please tell me which issue of Wood had that article?

I've looked at my old issues and can't find it.

Pat Barry
10-25-2010, 9:53 PM
Kids put everything in their mouths. They chew on anything. Be very careful with any finish. I like the idea of not finishing it at all. Make sure the wood is non-toxic also. These days you could be sued easily for not following every precaution.