PDA

View Full Version : JDS Laser coffee mugs

Mike Christen
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Just did an order for 40 Laser mugs and had to focus each one due to variances in size. Seems they vary by a quarter inch from large to small. Also needed to run some mugs twice because of variations in coating. And lastly had to shim (play doh) to keep some of them from rocking during engraving. Up to this point I have only done 1 or 2 for a order so these variations were not noticed as much as today. So if any one will be doing a larger order keep this information in mind for the extra time required, and price accordingly.

Martin Boekers
08-05-2010, 9:36 AM
I have a case of those mugs that I keep on hand incase my dye sub is down, I can
still offer a mug.

I find it usally does take more than one pass to get a nice consistant etch.

As far a size goes, it seems like mugs in general have that issue.
The dye sub ones I use I'm always adjust the pressure of the press for almost everyone.

Marty

Gary and Jessica Houghton
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Very strange. I just did about 30 of the green mugs without any problems. I use two boards and 4 to 5 pieces of 1/8" mdf spare pieces under the handle to make mine plum. That is a major pain, but have not found a better way to shim these. I am using 35s/100p and have a 35W epilog. I have never had to hit it twice. I have had to adjust width size in between jobs due to sizing issues. Did you hear they are coming out with hot pink in the fall?!!! They are also offering new bbq tools made of bamboo and new stainless sports bottles! Very exciting!

Martin Boekers
08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Gary what resolution are you printing at?

I do know from engraving plastic there are difference in settings
for certain colors, so that could be part of it.

I haven't done any for awhile but it seems I was running
slower than you and I have 75watts.

I tend to run most everything at 600 as I have got a fair amount of re-hit work from other shops that run lower res, so I tend to bump mine up.

Marty

Gary and Jessica Houghton
08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
We run typically 600 dpi. When these first came out I contacted JDS and asked them for the settings. They told me to use typical glass settings. So that's why I run 35s/100p.

Linda Kroeker
08-13-2010, 6:22 PM
had the same problem with green mugs...so I just used a vise and would put a thin piece of plastic
under the mug if it wasn't at the focus point...they laser very nice with the glass settings.
center/center and each came out right on the spot!

Linda