PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Mortimer I'm not...

Richard Madden
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I've been wanting to try a spiral type finial but the idea has been on the back burner until Mark showed his finial. That re-sparked the interest and I had to give it a shot. My first attempt didn't make it, this is my second try. This was kind of fun to mess with. I wonder if one of these would work with threads for a vessel. Walnut dyed black.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/004-3.jpg

Comments and/or criticism welcomed

David E Keller
08-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I love the look of the spiral finials... Definitely on my list of things to try. You've done a nice job with this one.

Paul Douglass
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Nice looking. I know there is a lot of work in those. I made a candle holder that way several years ago. Took a lot of drilling and a LOT of sanding, but came out nice. Started a second one, got it drilled and partically sanded but got tired of the sanding. Now I have a Dremel tool maybe one day I will finish it.

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2010, 11:59 PM
That is really cool looking! More than anything else - I appreciate the imagination! Nice work!

Thom Sturgill
08-05-2010, 6:31 AM
The demo I saw Stuart do WAS on a vessel. Nice job, but the top still needs to be a thin spike.

Michelle Rich
08-05-2010, 8:16 AM
For a first effort..A+ yes, it would make a great stopper in a vase or even a Christmas ornament!

Richard Madden
08-05-2010, 9:02 AM
Thanks for the comments from everyone, I appreciate the opinions expressed here. Thom, having attended a class with Mr. Mortimer, what tools does he use? For this finial I used a Dremel with drill bits and reamers, followed with narrow strips (3/8") of sandpaper fed through each "spoke" and sort of wrapped around to round off corners. Is this close at all to how the "Master" does it? I'm curious because I am working on another, this one is ebony and threaded. Any info would be appreciated.

John Hart
08-05-2010, 9:10 AM
I agree with Michelle's ornament idea...that would be so cool.

Nice piece of work Richard.

charlie knighton
08-05-2010, 9:33 AM
very nice....

Karl Card
08-05-2010, 9:36 AM
oh my.... this is a great spectator sport that I hope to jump on the band wagon someday...

very nice to say the least... I am sure it required thought and plenty of patience....

Michael James
08-05-2010, 7:03 PM
I dont know who Stuart is, but I like what you have there. Regards to the length, diameter,etc.... Im one of the new guys, but doesn't the size and shape of the piece you put it on have something to do with that?
Unless you're copying a specific piece by someone else.... I wouldnt know.
Keep at it, you have something going on there. I will be interested in hearing about some "shortcuts"!:cool:

David DeCristoforo
08-05-2010, 7:11 PM
Like it and absolutely disagree with the idea that it needs a "thin spike" on the top. It "could have" but it looks really nice "as is". This is one of those things that you will tweak and refine as you get deeper into it but you gotta know when to stop on any given piece of work and this one works just fine.

Steve Mawson
08-05-2010, 9:22 PM
I like this one a lot. Is there anyplace that gives a tutorial on this type of turning?? Looks like a job to keep all in proportion. Some say I have always been out of proportion anyway.

Baxter Smith
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Never heard of Stuart Mortimer but Richard Madden's looks good to me.:)

Richard Madden
08-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I like this one a lot. Is there anyplace that gives a tutorial on this type of turning?? Looks like a job to keep all in proportion. Some say I have always been out of proportion anyway.

Thanks Steve. I don't know of a tutorial on this, but I'd be interested if there is one out there. I just put lines top and bottom, then divided that with three more lines. After that I used the indexing feature to mark four lines along the length. You wind up with sort of rectangles that you can draw lines from corner to corner working your way up. I drilled 1/16" holes all around the areas to be hollowed, then using a Dremel and drill bits and reamers to open things up and round off corners. Lots of sanding after that. The tools that Stuart Mortimer uses is what I'd like to know. Maybe Thom can clue us in.

Richard Madden
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Never heard of Stuart Mortimer but Richard Madden's looks good to me.:)

Do a Google on Stuart. He does some amazing work.

Cathy Schaewe
08-06-2010, 7:02 AM
The book "The Basics of Turning Spirals" by Bill Bowers goes through it step by step, showing variations and how to achieve them, with great pictures. Very helpful. Also covers scalloped edges and hand thread chasing. If anybody wants to borrow it, I'll loan it out for the cost of postage - just pm me.

Carl Miller
08-06-2010, 6:08 PM
Really nice. I just have to try something like that. I like the top because it seems to reflect some of the lower shape. I don't particularly like long, thin, sharp finials.

Mark Hubl
08-06-2010, 6:43 PM
Richard,

I am kind of liking the shape of this piece. It has a little more contemporary feel to it then some of Mr. Mortimers. Kind of husky, masculine really. More of a motion feel than just airy elegance. I like the top element. Certainly do a couple more. Now as for what it should top you have me. I think John was spot on with his comments regarding the use of something like this. I would think a taller or fatter piece with minimal flair and good figure or color. Not an NE or something with lots of embellishment. But what do I know. Let's see what you come up with.