PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 1300 and 4330 planer blade changing

Bill Huber
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I have changed my blades now 2 times, well I flipped them once and then later I installed new blades. This is just some things that I have done that make it easier and some things to check and watch out for.

Before you even start get a good 5/32" allen wrench, I use a T handle Bondhus now and it works find. The first time I flipped the blades I had to use a good normal L shaped allen wrench and still had problems getting some of the screws out.

Also get a tube of anti-seize or never seize which ever you can find.

1. Make sure it is unplugged.

2. Dust port off.

3. Rotate the cutter drum until it locks, watch that you do not cut yourself on a blade.

4. With a scribe or something small and sharp clean out each of the screws that hold the plate on. The manual states to loosen the screws but do not remove them. I disagree, remove all the screws, the ones on each end have a spring under the plate so watch for them and don't lose them. Its not that bid of a deal if you do lose them they are just used to hold up the plate when you put the blade in. Remove the plate and the blade, you can use the magnet for that.

5. Inspect the plates, mine 1300 had plates that were flat and the 4330 has plates that are bowed. The things you want to look for are the edges nice and clean with no bumps in them and is the little pin like thing in the center clean and not damaged. If there is anything you see wrong get a new one, they are cheap and you can get them form EReplacement Parts ($10).If any of the screws were messed up a little order new ones ($0.83)

6. Now clean the drum surface where the blades and the plate go, get any glue, saw dust or chips off.

7. Place the blade on the drum making sure it is seated down on each end and some what centered.

8. Set the plate on, I don't put the springs back but if you want to set the sprints in the hole first. Put a small amount of anti-seize on a screw and start it. Do the same with all the rest of the screws, but not tighten at this point.

9. MADE sure the that the little pin like thing in the plate is in the hole of the blade, there is enough slop in the blades that it can be off, now you can tighten all the screws down.

10. After tightening all the screws check to make sure that the plate is flat against the blade all the way across.

11. Now do the other one (1300) or the other 2 (4330) and you are done.

The next time you need to flip the blades or replace them the screws will come out much easier.

Dan Karachio
08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Why couldn't you own a Dewalt? :D

Bill Huber
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Why couldn't you own a Dewalt? :D

Didn't have the money at the time...:D

Gary Hodgin
08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the post. I'm keeping for when I need to change the blades on my 1300. I've been postponing it.

Tom Welch
08-05-2010, 8:04 AM
Good post Bill. Yes, changing (or flipping) the blades on the Ridige planner was suprising easy. It really is a pretty good planner.

John Hollaway
08-05-2010, 4:16 PM
ditto that!!!

Don Selke
08-05-2010, 6:14 PM
Thanks Bill:

I printed out your instructions. Not everyone can afford a $600.00 planer especially if you are retired.