PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen TV/home theater forum?

Jim Hill
12-08-2004, 2:41 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing a wide screen TV (DLP or LCD) in the near future. Does anyone here know of a good forum to visit for honest answers/impressions?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Becker
12-08-2004, 3:27 PM
I don't know of any forums, but there are some great reviews out there that you can find through a search on Google.com. Personally, I'm "head over heels" satisfied with the Sharp Aquos system I purchased earlier this year, but there are any number of really good choices coming on the market these days. The price difference between the DLP and LCD systems are not that great at this point. Lots of choices. Check out Buy.com (via EBATES.COM if you want to save even more money) for some good deals on both. They may have links to reviews there...I forget off the top of my head.

Allan Johanson
12-08-2004, 3:49 PM
Here's one:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

Tim Morton
12-08-2004, 7:41 PM
The Home theater forum is the best one...you can also check out stereophile's website and some of the magazines will have pretty pictures to oggle as well. I was checking out a mitsubishi DLP this week that was 51" and no payments for 2 YEARS!!! I think it was 4 grand.

Jack Diemer
12-08-2004, 7:58 PM
I just purchased a plasma. I ended up getting an EDTV Daewoo on one of the day after Thanksgiving sales.

The concensus is that Panasonic is the best plasma for the money, but my recommendation is to go to a store that sells plasma's and look at the difference between the good ones and the not as good ones. I say this because the not as good ones are still very very good. Also, you should know that Plasma's are expected to drop 30% between now and next year. Many new factories are starting up right now.

One other thing, we spent a lot of money on a good mount, and it was money well spend. Our new TV looks like it is floating in mid air. (We have it mounted in the corner of our family room.

One other comment, I did not go HDTV because it costs quite a bit more for the service, HDTVs don't give you any more definition for DVD's and Normal TV channels, and I figure the $1000 extra for an HDTV now, could buy me a bigger better plasma TV in 5 years when all the channels HDTV and it doesn't cost any more to get the signal.

Ted Shrader
12-08-2004, 8:52 PM
Allan -

That is a good site. Thanks! Will help in our decision process.

Ted

Allan Johanson
12-09-2004, 3:01 AM
Hi Ted,

Yes, there an incredible amount of info there. I try to keep somewhat up to date with this stuff, but it's hard. A quick check on that site will get me up to date pretty fast.

But of course now that I'm still leaning towards the Sharp 12K DLP front projector, by the time I get my theater built that Sharp will be obsolete. :)

Happy researching!

Allan

Keith Starosta
12-09-2004, 6:07 AM
Here is another forum for you to check out. Your head will spin reading all of the material on this site....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Enjoy!

Keith

Stefan Antwarg
12-12-2004, 9:24 AM
I guess I am a little late with this, but I have a suggestion. Forums all have their own personalities. The one mentioned (hometheaterforum.com) is pretty huge, but it is not as "smart" as others. Try www.hometheatertalk.com. There are over 4000 members and the feel of the forum is much closer to this one. In that the members are nicer, and more informed. Not to say the other is not those things, but with so many memebers, you get some undesireable responses from the bigger ones. Also, www.hometheaterspot.com is especially good if you are looking for info on particular brands.

Stefan